BLUENOSE by PIERO

Beautiful work Piero. That is the cleanest-looking dory so far! Thumbsup

Today's update:

I have finished painting the hull.

View attachment 300850

I also decided to paint the part with the visible frames in black because I like it more and because I can insert the decorations and the plaque with the name on this side as well.

View attachment 300851

I made the rudder as for Peter's technique ...

View attachment 300848
View attachment 300849

See you later!
A slightly different paint job, but very convincing and looking ever so good.

Just a couple of pics of the state of the art. I started mounting the deadeyes and the decorations on the starboard side. After this I will close the works until April 26th due to a little vacation in my old city ...
View attachment 303053View attachment 303054
She's becoming more lovely every step of the way!
Whenever I see a picture of the bow, it seems to me as if it's too blunt. I think the bow should be sharper...
Nothing to do with your build, or the outstanding quality of your work, Piero, just an observation on the YQ-model itself.

She's becoming more lovely every step of the way!
Whenever I see a picture of the bow, it seems to me as if it's too blunt. I think the bow should be sharper...
Nothing to do with your build, or the outstanding quality of your work, Piero, just an observation on the YQ-model itself.

Well, seeing all the old drawings of the first Bluenose and positioning the keel of the YQ model, it seems completely overlapping. Appropriately related, of course.
Have you tried to do the same thing? I did it at the beginning when I assembled the keel ...
Could it be an optical effect?

Well, seeing all the old drawings of the first Bluenose and positioning the keel of the YQ model, it seems completely overlapping. Appropriately related, of course.
Have you tried to do the same thing? I did it at the beginning when I assembled the keel ...
Could it be an optical effect?
Yep, I checked various sources and I found some controversy on the lines of the bow, see this topic on SOS: https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/the-schooner-bluenose-plans-discrepancies-which-is-most-accurate.4705. It appears as if YQ has opted for the more distinctive "knee"-shape in the bow.
At one point I even considered changing the bow's shape, but that would open, for me at least, an unsurmountable can of worms...

Yep, I checked various sources and I found some controversy on the lines of the bow, see this topic on SOS: https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/the-schooner-bluenose-plans-discrepancies-which-is-most-accurate.4705. It appears as if YQ has opted for the more distinctive "knee"-shape in the bow.
At one point I even considered changing the bow's shape, but that would open, for me at least, an unsurmountable can of worms...
I think if we get too obsessed with the model verses actual, that we would be better off buying the plans and doing a scratch build.
I think that is most likely one of my future projects, a scratch build! I might as well do it all myself with a good set of plans! ;)

Last edited:
I think if we get too obsessed with the model verses actual, that we would be better off buying the plans and doing a scratch build.
I think that is most likely one of my future projects, a scratch build! I might as well do it all myself with a good set of plans! ;)

I agree, Dean! I think the main thing is to have fun ... and at ours, mine even more, age is the best thing !!

Fair point, although my current capabilities do not lend themselves to jump into an adventure like scratch building.
With respect to the YQ-lines, I've come to accept them for what they are, but sometimes, like in the picture Piero shared, it just triggers.

Fair point, although my current capabilities do not lend themselves to jump into an adventure like scratch building.
With respect to the YQ-lines, I've come to accept them for what they are, but sometimes, like in the picture Piero shared, it just triggers.
With a kit, they lazer cut pieces for you. Scratch build just takes more time, because you have to cut everything yourself. If you get a small scroll saw, cutting frames would be fairly easy, and you have to sand them regardless. So a kit really just saves time by packaging the wood and fittings, rope, etc. and by pre cutting the frames and other small pieces. I think you could do a scratch build...as long as you can understand the plans, you can cut the wood. :)
In fact, I may scratch build an airplane from plans! ;)

Johan, this pic is taken exactly "in line" and shows the bow with its curve chosen by YQ. The others were taken at an angle and gave the very noticeable "knee" impression. It seems to me that it is very "blunt" and I do not see the knee ...
What do you think?

IMG_20220414_194338_631.jpg

Back