Bomb Vessel Granado 1742 - Cross Section - 1:32 Scale - Scratch Build by DocBlake [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thanks, guys!

The shell room is made up of 3 rows of 6 pillars which support 24 shelves. Each shelf has a hollow into which the mortar shells fit. The pillars are cut from square swiss pear stock. I used my Byrnes saw with the sliding table to cut the pillars and the notches for the shelves. The sliding table is deadly accurate, and each pillar is EXACTLY as long as as the next, with the shelf slots perfectly aligned. The tool is amazing!

The shelves were cut from swiss pear also. To form the depressions that hold the shells, I used a 3/8" twist drill on my drill press. I56.jpg57.jpg58.jpg59.jpg60.jpg61.jpg set the fence and the stop so each depression was in a consistent location on the shelves.

Thanks, guys!

The shell room is made up of 3 rows of 6 pillars which support 24 shelves. Each shelf has a hollow into which the mortar shells fit. The pillars are cut from square swiss pear stock. I used my Byrnes saw with the sliding table to cut the pillars and the notches for the shelves. The sliding table is deadly accurate, and each pillar is EXACTLY as long as as the next, with the shelf slots perfectly aligned. The tool is amazing!

The shelves were cut from swiss pear also. To form the depressions that hold the shells, I used a 3/8" twist drill on my drill press. IView attachment 204446View attachment 204447View attachment 204448View attachment 204449View attachment 204450View attachment 204451 set the fence and the stop so each depression was in a consistent location on the shelves.
Not just the tool that is amazing but the man working it. Rich

I glued the six shell racks to the lower support beams. The placement needs to be precise because two more layers of structure sit on top of the shell racks before the mortar pit floor. The plans call for the racks to be pinned in place. I thought this would be too difficult to do precisely so I used a couple of home made jigs to align the shell racks while the epoxy I used dried. They're not going anywhere!

64.jpg65.jpg66.jpg67.jpg68.jpg

I glued the 6ix shell racks to the lower support beams. The placement needs to be precise because two more layers of structure sit on top of the shell racks before the mortar pit floor. The plans call for the racks to be pinned in place. I thought this would be too difficult to do precisely so I used a couple of home made jigs to align the shell racks while the epoxy I used dried. They're not going anywhere!

View attachment 209284View attachment 209285View attachment 209286View attachment 209287View attachment 209288
Love, love, love this Dave!

Last edited:
I glued the six shell racks to the lower support beams. The placement needs to be precise because two more layers of structure sit on top of the shell racks before the mortar pit floor. The plans call for the racks to be pinned in place. I thought this would be too difficult to do precisely so I used a couple of home made jigs to align the shell racks while the epoxy I used dried. They're not going anywhere!

View attachment 209284View attachment 209285View attachment 209286View attachment 209287View attachment 209288
It looks very accurate and the idea of gluing with epoxy is just right and helpful.
it's pleasure to read your explanations accompanied by the most impressive photos and photographs

Thanks, guys!

Work on the shell room continues. I made the upper support beams out of boxwood and the blocking timbers between them of pear. They're glued into place, but not poly'ed yet. Once that's done, I will individually fit each of the 6 mortar pit beams into their notches on the clamps.

69.JPG70.JPG71.JPG72.JPG73.jpg

Truly grand work and use of wood to color the subject with different shades to make things stand out.

But I must admit, the area before the top supports are added looked like the back wall of bowling alley, where all the stock balls were stored waiting for someone to pick they up for use! :)

Thanks, guys!

Kurt: True! The mortar shells, at scale 12" diameter are appreciably bigger than bowling balls, though!
Your possession and use of high quality tools and selection of wood continue to inspire trying to rise that your bar. . . lacking the same tools and lumber yard. I cannot begin to approach your precision but doing what I am able as time passes. Rich

Back