Bon Retour Artesania Latina 1/25 scale

Yes. She getting realy nicely......these small boats are very attractive and yours definitely

Thanks guys for all your kind words. The lower Boom and upper Gaff both have Gaff Jaws fitted and will need something to be fitted around the Mast. The instructions are now none existant regarding the rigging so I decided to use some left over thread from the Shrouds. I tied off one end of the thread, fitted the Boom to the Mast, and then tied off the other end of the thread. The Boom is free to move up the Mast and to rotate round it.
RetourS1.jpg
RetourS2.jpg
RetourS3.jpg
RetourS4.jpg

Now that the Boom was fitted I ran a thread from the Eyepin on the aft end of the Boom through the Block on the top of the Mast and down to the Deck area. At the moment I am putting rigging lines on but leaving them loose only tightening things up once the sails are fitted.

RetourS5.jpg

Having given it some thought I decided to fit the Main Sail to the Gaff first and that way I could get the angle of the Gaff correct. Once I had attached the Main Sail to the Gaff I fitted the line that runs through a pair of double blocks and lifts the Gaff.
RetourS6.jpg
RetourS7.jpg

I put the Gaff against the Mast and ran the line that lifts the Gaff through both double Blocks and then just like on a real boat hoisted the Gaff.

RetourS8.jpg

RetourS9.jpg

Cheers Andy

Now that I have the Main Sail hoisted it was time to lace it to the Mast and Boom. I started at the top of the Sail and wrappedthe lacing around the Mast and throught the rope that is attached to the Sail, tying the lacing off at the bottom of the Sail. The lacing on the Boom has to go through holes drilled in the Boom so I soaked the end of the lacing in PVA to stiffen it and make it easier to fit.
RetourT1.jpg

RetourT2.jpg
RetourT3.jpg

I fitted rigging line to the 3 corners of the Jib that goes on the Fore Stay and then spent serveral hours trying to get it fitted to the Fore Stay. I ran the top line through an Eyebolt fitted to the Mast and then had lots of fun (not) fitting 6 rings to the Sail to hang it on the Fore Stay. These rings are preformed brass about 1.5mm in diameter and have to be opened up to get them to fit. The hardest part was getting them closed again because they were difficult to hold, I had to be careful not to put too much pressure on the Fore Stay and Sail. I lost a couple of rings after they went flying from the small pliers that I was using, still it gave me chance to practice some of the foreign words I learnt when I was younger ;).

RetourT4.jpg
RetourT5.jpg
RetourT6.jpg

The Flying Jib had lines attached to it's 3 corners and then it was fitted in place, all rigging lines are loosely fitted at the moment, I was concerned that the Sails would cause some of the Standing Rigging to sag, which fortunatly it hasn't, so I will now start tightening everything up and tying all the rigging to it's belaying points.

RetourT7.jpg
RetourT8.jpg

Cheers Andy

5 years ago I saw a boat like this sailing off the French coast on its way to a festival in Caen. Later that week in Caen I found a model shop and boat the Bon Retour. After a short spell of work I gave up. Poor instructions, faulty parts etc. This lockdown I gave it another go. With the help of this blog I now have the hull fitted out and almost ready for rigging. Thank you so much for your help.

Back