Build Log: ENDURANCE by OcCre [COMPLETED BUILD]

My son is a big fan of the Shackelton expedition and he wanted a model of Endurance so that will be my next build. This is my first OcCre kit and so far i'm impressed. All the frame pieces fit well and only a little adjustment was needed. I applied sanding sealer, then sanded, and airbrushed the A3, A7, A11 frames white were indicated on the plans. I also added blocks around the frames that will receive the screws for the pedestal mounts and drilled the holes while it is easy to get the frame in the drill press.
Endurance 001.jpgEndurance 002.jpgEndurance 003.jpgEndurance 004.jpgEndurance 005.jpgEndurance 006.jpgEndurance 007.jpgEndurance 008.jpg

This looks like a really interesting build to follow. I will pull up a chair as they say :)

One question if I may: you said you are using sanding sealer then airbrushing. Are you using a water based sealer or something like the SIG butyrate one, similar to the aero modellers fuel proof type?

Thanks.

Now this is a build that I am most interested in. On Modelbouwforum (the Dutch site) there is also a build of the Endurance which I am following. My interest in the Endurance is also because of my son but for a totally different reason. There is currently an expedition in motion to salvage the Endurance and the ship that is being used in that expedition is the SA Agulhas 2 from South Africa. My son is an electrical engineer whose company was responsible for the electrical maintenance on the Agulhas just prior to her departure.

s-a-agulhas-ii_9577135_2126125_Medium.jpg

The SAS Agulhas 2 is the ship being used in the salvage of Shackleton's Endurance!

It's Zinsser seal coat, an alcohol based shellack. It was recommended by the guy at the wood hobby store. It dries really fast. Seems to hold up well with the lacquer based paint I'm using for the color coat.

Forgot to mention it but OcCre has a Youtube channel with 69 videos of how to build Endurance. Each one runs about 2 minutes. It's been a help seeing what's coming up so I've watched the first few several times. Will also do some kit bashing. Different deadeyes, blocks, and rope for a start. I'll mention the changes and where to buy as I use them.

Now this is a build that I am most interested in. On Modelbouwforum (the Dutch site) there is also a build of the Endurance which I am following. My interest in the Endurance is also because of my son but for a totally different reason. There is currently an expedition in motion to salvage the Endurance and the ship that is being used in that expedition is the SA Agulhas 2 from South Africa. My son is an electrical engineer whose company was responsible for the electrical maintenance on the Agulhas just prior to her departure.

View attachment 254442

The SAS Agulhas 2 is the ship being used in the salvage of Shackleton's Endurance!
Fantastic. Please keep me posted on his adventure. My son will be chomping at the bit to hear what's going on. Will check out the Dutch site also. Thanks for the info.

Beautiful subject and you are off to a great start. I'm also very impressed by the OcCre kit... I'm hearing great things about them.

Beautiful subject and you are off to a great start. I'm also very impressed by the OcCre kit... I'm hearing great things about them.
So far one of the best. Wish there was a kit with premium blocks and good rope instead of fuzzy cotton stuff. Be nice to get it with the kit instead of having to order from other sources.

I have a beekeeper supply store next to my house, so bee's wax is in good supply here.

View attachment 254442

Could you send me the link to the Dutch build site? Can't seem to find it even with Google translate as a crutch. Thanks

That link opens the second page of the build logs. The Endurance build is right at the top,

I did half a dozen sample deck planking mockups and finally got one I like. This is my process.

First I give each plank a coat of sanding sealer (Alcohol based Shellack). Very fast dry time.
Endurance 009.jpg

After that dries I sand the flats and the edges with 320 grit. I made a small jig for the edges as the planks are only .5mm.

Endurance 010.jpg

I set up another jig and cut each plank to size. 6mm in this case.

Endurance 011.jpg

Jig #3 is setup with a very small bit in my drill press and I drill treenail hole number one, flip the plank and drill hole 2. Then turn the plank around and repeat for the other end. It takes a while but it's the only way I can get equally spaced holes.

Endurance 012.jpg

Clamp a bundle of planks together and darken the edges with a # 6B pencil. I used to use a felt tip marker but the ink bled into wood way to much which is why I now seal the wood before I do the edges. Also wipe the lead dust off before you release the bundle. Keeps the planks from getting smudged during handling. You don't need much lead.

Endurance 013.jpg

Glue the planks down with what ever pattern you choose.

Endurance 014.jpg

Trim the edges and sand. This is the first time I have tried scraping the planks down with a blade. It gets rid of the excess glue and stains from the pencil lead. A quick sand with 320 grit followed by a pass with 600 grit. Ready to paint.

Endurance 015.jpg

Finally a coat of Teak oil. I tried Teak oil, Tongue oil and matte poly but prefer the Teak. Next step is to repeat for two more decks and I'll be ready to install.

Endurance 016.jpg
So far I only made one mistake and that was easy to fix. A very good kit and I like the picture instructions. The english written instructions are a little tough but the photographs and the CcCre build videos on YouTube and a great asset. A separate parts list booklet would be nice also. Hope this helps another beginner with planking a deck.

I can only echo your sentiments. I am building the Endeavour from OcCre. The kit manufacturer is very good and its service, such as sending missing or damaged parts or answering questions on the kit, is excellent. The quality of the materials is good, although I replaced the thread and blocks. The downside is the lack of a complete set of drawings. There was no 1:1 drawing of the ship and no drawings showing the views onto the bow and stern included in the kit.
Enjoy your build of the Endurance

I can only echo your sentiments. I am building the Endeavour from OcCre. The kit manufacturer is very good and its service, such as sending missing or damaged parts or answering questions on the kit, is excellent. The quality of the materials is good, although I replaced the thread and blocks. The downside is the lack of a complete set of drawings. There was no 1:1 drawing of the ship and no drawings showing the views onto the bow and stern included in the kit.
Enjoy your build of the Endurance
I agree. A 1:1 set of drawings would really be helpful. I also am replacing the thread, blocks, and deadeyes. I found a place that sells ebony deadeyes so it will match the black ones on the original ship. Trying to be as accurate as possible. Their YouTube build videos are outstanding. Thanks for the comment.

Back