Build Log: ENDURANCE by OcCre [COMPLETED BUILD]

Installed the anchors and finished the deadeyes. Not sure what looks better, the anchor stowed or hanging free. Anyway, it's for my son so I'll let him decide. Also noticed there are some spots that need a little black paint touch up. I always have trouble blackening brass. It comes out of the JAX looking great but when touched the black begins to rub off. I coat with matte poly but still have a couple of places that show through. I also soldered the split ring ends together on the anchors. I do that when ever possible. Looks more authentic. The plans called for an eyebolt on the deck end of the cathead. Not sure how that would work with both ends of the rigging tied off so I changed them to cleats. Will do some rope coils later when the rigging is complete.
Endurance 79.jpgEndurance 80.jpgEndurance 81.jpgEndurance 82.jpgEndurance 83.jpgEndurance 84.jpg

Everything is looking very good Charlie! You are doing a great job on the masts and have achieved a finish on them of which I am already jealous!

Stepping the mizzen with a laser.
View attachment 269617
Well it doesn't hardly get more plumb than that. I love the way you use a laser to check alignment. I became interested in the story of the Endurance by way of the conversations in your log here and am reading a book written by the captain F.A. Worsley, I'm about a quarter way along and man I don't see how they are surviving the elements and sea creatures that want to eat them!

Well it doesn't hardly get more plumb than that. I love the way you use a laser to check alignment. I became interested in the story of the Endurance by way of the conversations in your log here and am reading a book written by the captain F.A. Worsley, I'm about a quarter way along and man I don't see how they are surviving the elements and sea creatures that want to eat them!
Most incredible survival story ever. Eating dogs, penguins, and seals for months on end not very inviting.

Made another change to the instructions. They called for the shrouds to go from one deadeye over the crosstrees to the deadeye on the other side. Could not have been the way it actually was. Removed the original shroud and split it into two parts. Went from the deadeye around the mast and tied then it off. Much happier with the look. It was more sizing to do but also adjusting the tension on the shrouds was easier.Endurance 92.jpgEndurance 93.jpgEndurance 94.jpgEndurance 95.jpgEndurance 96.jpg

Back