Build Log: Jotika/Caldercraft 1/64 HM Brig Badger

Hello again to all,

I finally completed re-sizing all the pics. Like I said, I used the resin boats to cut out my wooden stem, keel and transom. I then used a spare hull to make plugs using some epoxy putty.

DSC07281-1.jpg

DSC07286.jpg

DSC07287.jpg

I then planked the plugs to make my new boat hull. I only used 2 ribs to allow easy removal from the plug.

laroca048.jpg

laroca050.jpg

DSC08286.jpg

Hello Anja and Borge,

Thanks very much for the kind words, they are much appreciated :D
Still have a few more re-sized pics to upload once I get some free time :cool:

Thanks for the kind words Popeye :D

Here is my final installment of pictures on my ships' boats modifications.

I compared my scratchbuilt launch with the original resin shell, it was mostly true to the original lines but its length was longer by about 2mm :sad:

I decided to just live with the discrepancy as I was too lazy to make another one :oops:
DSC08288.jpg

DSC08289.jpg

DSC08290.jpg

Cutter and Launch wooden shells are now ready for attachment of frames and other fittings
DSC08689.jpg

Because I used a different batch of wood for the boats, they had a slightly different shade compared to Badger, but the color difference was acceptable, in my opinion :ugeek:

DSC00705.jpg

DSC00614.jpg

I used the grappling hooks, oars and boat hooks provided for the original boats, but scratch-built the rest of the wooden fittings using the boats' plans and the originals as basis. Here are the boats after attachment of all fittings and stowage.

DSC00662.jpg

DSC00661.jpg

DSC00700.jpg

DSC00703.jpg

DSC00702.jpg

DSC00701.jpg

Upon completion of the boats, I was finally able to resume rigging work on Badger, here she is at present. So far I've finished most of the clewlines, sheets and tacks for all the yards :)

DSC08337.jpg

DSC08338.jpg

DSC08318.jpg

I also managed to attach the gaff boom and it's lift

DSC08336.jpg

Here are her full shots :)

DSC08335.jpg

DSC08320.jpg

That's all for now, time to start working on those braces :)

rdsaplala said:
Thanks for the kind words Popeye :D

Here is my final installment of pictures on my ships' boats modifications.

I compared my scratchbuilt launch with the original resin shell, it was mostly true to the original lines but its length was longer by about 2mm :sad:

I decided to just live with the discrepancy as I was too lazy to make another one :oops:
DSC08288.jpg

DSC08289.jpg

DSC08290.jpg

Cutter and Launch wooden shells are now ready for attachment of frames and other fittings
DSC08689.jpg

Because I used a different batch of wood for the boats, they had a slightly different shade compared to Badger, but the color difference was acceptable, in my opinion :ugeek:

DSC00705.jpg

DSC00614.jpg

I used the grappling hooks, oars and boat hooks provided for the original boats, but scratch-built the rest of the wooden fittings using the boats' plans and the originals as basis. Here are the boats after attachment of all fittings and stowage.

DSC00662.jpg

DSC00661.jpg

DSC00700.jpg

DSC00703.jpg

DSC00702.jpg

DSC00701.jpg

Hi Aldo

They look very nice, top job on thoose small boats.. :)

Børge

Sjors55 said:
Very,very,very nice.
Both are, the little ships and the rigging.
Do you have a old car?
Because when Anja put the Albatross on the car ,she is in BIG problems.........

Sjors

Thanks for the kind words Sjors, much appreciated :D
No problem here my friend, all of our cars are very old :lol:

Seafever said:
Amazing work Stunning ! The high detail really shows .Nice job on the Life Boats ! I need to build a double ender for my Real de france . Where do I get plans for them do you know .

Thanks very much for dropping by and the kind comments Reggie, I appreciate it :D
I apologize as I don't know where to get boat plans for a ships boats on a French Galley :oops:

There is however a small boats section on another site I'm affiliated with, there are many boat experts in that particular section and they helped me a lot with my ships boats, perhaps they can point you in the right direction :D Here is a link to that section:

http://modelshipworld.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=47

Hi Aldo,

Really - really nice !!! a lot of work there. Very clean workmanship. I am sure that you are very proud of it.

Donnie

Donnie said:
Hi Aldo,

Really - really nice !!! a lot of work there. Very clean workmanship. I am sure that you are very proud of it.

Donnie

Hi Donnie,

Thanks very much for dropping by, as well as the kind words, I appreciate it :D
I still have a lot to learn when it comes to rigging, if I could have to skills and patience to make rope servings as nice as yours, I'd be a very happy man :cool:

I've made a couple of jigs for the various presentations of rope coils, I'm nearly done but will wait for my Lee's masting and rigging book for the proper presentation for those belayed to deadeyes :D

Aldo, the buttons on your shirt must be popping off with your chest so swelled up with this build. I'd be proud too. Might fine build. Congratulations. Really nice work.

Back