Building 1/350 USS Carl Vinson (Circa 1983)

I entered my 1/350 USS Carl Vinson at the Butch O’Hare IPMS Chapter Show.
I won a gold medal and “Best U.S. Navy” Plaque for my model.

dscn1007.jpg

Oh WOW - that is great news ! Congratulations !!!

Congratulations also from my side - Great news

Wolfman63, I just joined the forum today and came across you USS Vinson build. I was there in 83. with the "Hundred and Fifth Light Attack and Twilight Pursuit Squadron" aka VA-105 Gunslinger. I have same kit and tntend to build as you did. May I ask what reference material you used to back date the Vinson. I am still in Jacksonville where I retired.

Wolfman63, I just joined the forum today and came across you USS Vinson build. I was there in 83. with the "Hundred and Fifth Light Attack and Twilight Pursuit Squadron" aka VA-105 Gunslinger. I have same kit and tntend to build as you did. May I ask what reference material you used to back date the Vinson. I am still in Jacksonville where I retired.
I used personal photos and photos I located on Google. Send me a private message with your email and I can send you photos.

My God Wolfman. I have never seen anything like the work you've done on this model. The medal and the plaque along with all the accolades are so well deserved and along with that you have a collection of pictures and procedures that will serve us all for many years to come. A couple questions if I may: Wouldn't the bridge have red lighting for night vision? And what occasion would call for the aircraft to be lined up on the deck like that? I wanted to mention that you could turn the Tilly around and not have the boom sticking out where the aircraft go but you beat me to that one.Ha! And finally if the ship were to encounter really heavy weather is there enough room for all the planes below or would half of them be sent ashore until the storm had passed?
Now I have to admit that I have been properly shamed for all the knick-knacks and dodads that I have skipped on my Enterprise. When I look at the way I was about to finish my 65 off, I can't believe how much better it will look with the dodads and knick knacks on her. So after having been properly shaped up I will reconsider the details of the Big E and see what I can do to shape her up. Thanks Wolfman for a terrific build and for being generous enough to show everybody how you did it. I for one appreciate it very much. Now I gotta buy all those dinky little decals that i can't hardly see and the PE parts that just have to be added and maybe by 2020 sometime I'll get her finished.

Hallo David,
we wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Birthday-Cake

and hope to see much more beautiful models built by yourself

Enjoy the day

UPDATE: On August 8th 2019 We CAREFULLY load the ship in the back of our SUV and drove over 600 miles to the beautiful city of Chattanooga Tennessee to attend the IPMS Nation convention. The model was entered into the contest under class 401 “1/350 Aircraft Carrier” On Saturday August 10th we attended the award ceremony and the USS Carl Vinson won first place in it class! The model survived the trip there and back with no issues. I also would like to mention that the Chattanooga IPMS chapter hosted an awesome show. This was my first time at a national convention and it was great!

Check out the photos of the model in my Gallery on my Blog https://davidsscalemodels.com/gallery/uss-carl-vinson-project/

401_3.jpg

dscn2353.jpg

dscn2355.jpg

Congrats and that is an awesome model. Did you build or buy the case for it? I need to one for my 1/200 Bismarck which will be finished soon. Thanks...

Congrats and that is an awesome model. Did you build or buy the case for it? I need to one for my 1/200 Bismarck which will be finished soon. Thanks...

I bought it.
If you want a case I highly recommend Grandpa's Cabinets. http://www.grandpascabinets.com/model-display-kits/ The cases are very high quality. He also has reasonable prices. Great to work with. I know many who have used him and they are all extremely happy as well.

Back