Burmese rice boat

This is a very interesting and unusual topic for a ship model Henry.
I have been to Burma for a holiday a few years ago before all the trouble started. ;)

What i wanted to say is i am surprised when Bryian and others say it's unusual topic for a model look beyond the foreground of a pic and you will see a wealth of boats that could could be made into models this photo you will see a small craft in the foreground which i think it's type is still in the water today next the paddy boat look at the stem i see the head of a bullock above that you will see another type of rice boat long and slender which i mentioned before again upper right more paddy boats and upper left not 100% sure but i think that's a builders yard but the boats shown judging by their stem are more modern than the rice boats once you have mastered the hull you can pick from at least 4 different deck structures which again could be sub divided so i'm surprised no one has done this before. To give Uncle Sam his credit his Defence Dept did produce a book "the junk blue book 1962" (free download) which documented every boat in Vietnamese waters but i'm sure most of you knew that. For those of you who are really interested in boats should try and document what you see after all what you see now may not be there in another few years time after that it will be too late.

1c.jpg

The mast supports are now fixed which will allow me to work out the the height of the support to keep the mast clear of the deck structure steering platform which size wise i think will work out ok. The real problem i have now is to cut holes for the poles or oar structure in the piece on the deck that runs along the outline of the hull it's proper name i forget i suppose when you make things from scratch without a plan you don't think you just go ahead and make it should have cut the holes before i glued it to the deck will use a pin vice and drill and see how i get on afraid to use the Dremel in case i go through the hull which would be the end i even made a 1mm chisel from an old jewelers file so this next step may take me some time.

DSC04271.JPGDSC04272.JPGDSC04273.JPGDSC04274.JPG

The mast supports are now fixed which will allow me to work out the the height of the support to keep the mast clear of the deck structure steering platform which size wise i think will work out ok. The real problem i have now is to cut holes for the poles or oar structure in the piece on the deck that runs along the outline of the hull it's proper name i forget i suppose when you make things from scratch without a plan you don't think you just go ahead and make it should have cut the holes before i glued it to the deck will use a pin vice and drill and see how i get on afraid to use the Dremel in case i go through the hull which would be the end i even made a 1mm chisel from an old jewelers file so this next step may take me some time.

View attachment 265654View attachment 265655View attachment 265656View attachment 265657
Your rice boat is looking like it is closer to the water. Nice work. Rich (PT-2)

Just taking a rest fingers a bit sore,this photo which i've just looked at is the exact same boat as in #43 but from a different angle and you will see the fwd end of deck structure is completely open suggests to me that's where the sails are kept and nothing to do with the crew.

1d.jpg

Just having a lazy day today copied the rudder support from one of my photo's looked a lot easier than the one on the model.

Attachments

• DSC04281.JPG
    DSC04281.JPG
    207.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC04282.JPG
    DSC04282.JPG
    203.5 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC04283.JPG
    DSC04283.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 2
Another reason for having a lazy day was to do a bit of reading. So for you guys who are really interested in boats here is something you wont find in the thesis it is a book by Capt Henry Yule " The narrative of the mission to the court of AVA 1855 " which is now out of copyright you can either buy a reprint or download a pdf from burmalibrary.org i thought i would post a couple of pages regarding the construction of the paddy boat which i think he called a pein-go pages 12, 13,14 useful if you were to build a model hopefully you can read them.

Attachments

• 1a.png.png
    1a.png.png
    119.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 2a.png.png
    2a.png.png
    213.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 3a.png.png
    3a.png.png
    205.4 KB · Views: 2
The deck structure now fixed to deck and feel it's beginning to look like a boat. Trying to take decent photo's for me the rudder structure not quite correct i think too wide but i can always come back to that since i started i have learnt a lot the deck structure is really an open framework with individual single panels only the roof is fixed but as always i never knew that till after i made it. Have to take the wife to get her booster jab today had mine on Monday maybe that's why i felt lazy. I have found a site with beautiful paintings which i think you will like but will try that when i come back.

Attachments

• DSC04285.JPG
    DSC04285.JPG
    204 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC04286.JPG
    DSC04286.JPG
    204 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC04294.JPG
    DSC04294.JPG
    216.9 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC04295.JPG
    DSC04295.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC04290.JPG
    DSC04290.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 1
Now back have been trying to find a way to lead you to the site but everything i try dose not work trying for the last hour how i reached the site in the first place i don't know but i've bookmarked it shows how clever i am. The site was trying is glartent.com----- Burmese ( myanmar ancient boats ) which has some beautiful paintings same can be found in facebook again can't log into it will have to wait till grandsons come so that's me. Would really like to read Charlie Than ( PDF. Myanmar traditional boats ) have the site bookmarked Academia.edu again can't log in used to be able to but i was getting emails every 5mins so i stopped it. Would really be grateful if anyone can help. Some of the paintings seem to have the same design as the paddy boat but with a modern bow third photo.

Attachments

• 005_2c4a6a86-d8f8-4e69-9ed6-3cee1d135ac9.jpg
    005_2c4a6a86-d8f8-4e69-9ed6-3cee1d135ac9.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 6
  • 283892261731867 (1).jpg
    283892261731867 (1).jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 304451023009324.jpg
    304451023009324.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 415992881855137.jpg
    415992881855137.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 7
Now back have been trying to find a way to lead you to the site but everything i try dose not work trying for the last hour how i reached the site in the first place i don't know but i've bookmarked it shows how clever i am. The site was trying is glartent.com----- Burmese ( myanmar ancient boats ) which has some beautiful paintings same can be found in facebook again can't log into it will have to wait till grandsons come so that's me. Would really like to read Charlie Than ( PDF. Myanmar traditional boats ) have the site bookmarked Academia.edu again can't log in used to be able to but i was getting emails every 5mins so i stopped it. Would really be grateful if anyone can help. Some of the paintings seem to have the same design as the paddy boat but with a modern bow third photo.
Interesting to see the sail is in two halves to get around the two-legged mast. This is a unique boat to have and will make a special model for you. Rich (PT-2)

Rich regarding sails my first impression like others was they are huge but when i stop to think i lived in the tropics for 17 and a half years various locations and never encountered any heavy winds not even during the monsoon winds were light if at all that would explain their huge size. Yule in his book gives us details of the yard 130 feet long the sails were attached by rings to a rope attached to the yard the area of cloth 4000 square feet and made of common cotton used to make cloths imagen a tee shirt that size makes you think. The mast with wooden rungs just like a ladder dose away with ratlines i think these boats were away ahead of their time would be interesting to know when exactly they were on the water maybe 18 cent. just hope i can do the model justice.

Rich regarding sails my first impression like others was they are huge but when i stop to think i lived in the tropics for 17 and a half years various locations and never encountered any heavy winds not even during the monsoon winds were light if at all that would explain their huge size. Yule in his book gives us details of the yard 130 feet long the sails were attached by rings to a rope attached to the yard the area of cloth 4000 square feet and made of common cotton used to make cloths imagen a tee shirt that size makes you think. The mast with wooden rungs just like a ladder dose away with ratlines i think these boats were away ahead of their time would be interesting to know when exactly they were on the water maybe 18 cent. just hope i can do the model justice.
When the rain soaked that large of a sail it would be quite heavy. and stress the long yard. You have a very interesting project in your hands. Rich (PT-2)

Another part of the jigsaw would like to colour it but won't make the same mistake as last time.

Attachments

• DSC04297.JPG
    DSC04297.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC04298.JPG
    DSC04298.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC04299.JPG
    DSC04299.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC04301.JPG
    DSC04301.JPG
    201.4 KB · Views: 1
Scuppers now fitted but my main problem now is the rigging not being a navy man a lot of what i think might not be correct. The yardarm is just made from an old piece of cane found in the garden local shop only sells kebab sticks in the summer 12" they would have done but the yard is made in two halfs on a real boat. The problem was how to attach the end of such to the mast, to fix at the top would have been impossible it has to be moved down to where the main mast opens that way i stand a chance it could be lashed i first thought it might be joined by say a bamboo tube or some other fixture a navy man should know. The main mast had to be shortened to allow fitment of the upper mast the arrangement of which is correct as seen in two pics i have but it too might be shortened because it's not Paddy boat i'm building it's the next size down. So the next problem is the top mast not sure if i see single blocks on the mast 7 each side and six each on the yard each side or are they single pulley's or maybe they are the same thing, pic4 shows what i mean about being too far up

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 1
Still think the top mast is a bit big but comparing to pics and photos it's not far away i think the main + the top mast should not really exceed the length of the boat who knows. The yardarm must have a fitting to connect it to the main mast i don't think a half yard (it's end at center )would be lashed to one side of the mast i think the strain would be too much or like i think two halfs joined by a bamboo tube and hauled up like a normal mast(yard) surely someone knows the answer.

DSC04312.JPGDSC04313.JPGDSC04314.JPGDSC04315.JPGDSC04316.JPG

Still think the top mast is a bit big but comparing to pics and photos it's not far away i think the main + the top mast should not really exceed the length of the boat who knows. The yardarm must have a fitting to connect it to the main mast i don't think a half yard (it's end at center )would be lashed to one side of the mast i think the strain would be too much or like i think two halfs joined by a bamboo tube and hauled up like a normal mast(yard) surely someone knows the answer.

View attachment 269049View attachment 269050View attachment 269051View attachment 269052View attachment 269053
Your progress looks very nice. This is an interesting boat to watch emerging. Rich (PT 2)

Rich you seem to be the only person to say anything and i thank you for it. I think now the bulk of the work is done rudder,bollards maybe a carving or two still to be done. Now i can sit back and think how to improve things. Now i will need to learn how make proper fittings e.g the top mast will be shortened and proper loops/blocks will be made (loops could use end of fish hooks blocks learn to make) so still plenty to do. Rigging most of it correct but need some blocks but i think now i have a fair idea,what you see is only a mockup the copper wire will be replaced with rigging rope where it is attached to the scuppers i think it should be attached to the deck or hull. Now need to hunt for material.

Attachments

• DSC04317.JPG
    DSC04317.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC04319.JPG
    DSC04319.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC04320.JPG
    DSC04320.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC04321.JPG
    DSC04321.JPG