CAF 1/48 Scale La Renommee 1744

Les cadres 16 et 17 sont terminés... Je les presse toute la nuit avec un pavé en brique, pour garantir l'absence de déformation pendant que la colle sèche, j'ai eu quelques déformations sur mon dernier POF

View attachment 366396

View attachment 366397
Bonjour,
Sur le forum, il est utilisé beaucoup de colles différentes (Ponal, Titebond, etc...).
Quelle colle vous utilisez pour votre modèle ?
Merci d'avance.

Bonjour,
On the forum, it is used in different ways (Ponal, Titebond, etc...).
Source that you can use for your model?
Merci d'avance.

Bonjour,
Sur le forum, il est utilisé beaucoup de colles différentes (Ponal, Titebond, etc...).
Quelle colle vous utilisez pour votre modèle ?
Merci d'avance.

Bonjour,
On the forum, it is used in different ways (Ponal, Titebond, etc...).
Source that you can use for your model?
Merci d'avance.
I use the below photo, which is a CA super glue(cyanoacylate). Thank you

glue.jpg

Thrilled to have recieved the full internal structure for La Renommee today. Ordered on 6/21, so 15 days in shipping only. Initial inspection of the kit is outstanding! 3 Full set, Full size plans, and 1 instruction book in English, yes.....English! All Lumber and Brass looks great. My initial impression....What have I got myself into??? I have much more detail sanding and some corrections on the hull prior to beginning the internal structure.

View attachment 383212

View attachment 383213

View attachment 383214

View attachment 383215

View attachment 383216

View attachment 383217

View attachment 383218

View attachment 383219
Hi Paul, is this the final box for the kit and does it include the stern and figurehead carvings or are those coming in a future box?
Thanks,
Iain

Hi Paul, is this the final box for the kit and does it include the stern and figurehead carvings or are those coming in a future box?
Thanks,
Iain
Lain, more "sections" after this Gun Deck, and Upper Deck/Figures. Tom at CAF is currently working on a Mast section as well. i included the CAF description below. It is a GREAT kit! Good Luck

CAF.jpg

Lain, more "sections" after this Gun Deck, and Upper Deck/Figures. Tom at CAF is currently working on a Mast section as well. i included the CAF description below. It is a GREAT kit! Good Luck

View attachment 406007
Thanks Paul; I was looking at the CAF Renommee and Enterprise, and also looking at HMS Blandford by Modelship Dockyard. I finally ordered HMS Blandford as the price is good and I like the look of the Swiss Pear wood. It Was a difficult decision and I thought about it over about three weeks. I like the look of the Fleuron that Wang is building but that won’t be ready for sale until sometime next year. I still have to finish my 1/32 PBY Catalina which is a huge multi media kit mostly in resin before I make a start on Blandford. Probably won’t be starting until end of year.

Last edited:
Thanks Paul; I was looking at the CAF Renommee and Enterprise, and also looking at HMS landforms by Modelship Dockyard. I finally ordered HMS Blandford as the price is good and I like the look of the Swiss Pear wood. It Was a difficult decision and I thought about it over about three weeks. I like the look of the Fleuron that Wang is building but that won’t be ready for sale until sometime next year. I still have to finish my 1/32 PBY Catalina which is a huge multi media kit mostly in resin Before I make a start on Blandford. Probably won’t be starting until end of year.
I built the CAF Enterprise first, that was a good kit as well. I was definitely intrigued by the full internal structure of the La Renommee. Also thought the HMS Winchelsea by Syren has potential as a next project

Last edited:
added the hold accommodation walls on Port side today. Note here for future builders, CAF only includes material to do the port side, I am assuming thats to leave the Starboard side open to see through to the lower hold. Just realized on my pictures, my second to last wall going to stern needs to angle down more.

hold4.jpg

hold5.jpg

hold6.jpg

hold7.jpg

hold8.jpg

Paul, I just spent the better part of the morning catching up on your build - Beautiful work!! Wonderful build log as well!!
Bill, thanks for the kind words and the 22 likes!! I actually wish my skills were better....there are some folks on the site that are museum quality modelers. CAF also produced a very nice kit! Thanks Again! Paul

HUGE MISTAKE made on my part. Folks, in revisiting the instructions, plans, and CAF pictures on Toms site, I realized I have built the walls for the hold accommodations incorrectly(parts have been reordered). The instructions are a bit confusing and I didnt due diligence. I thought that the wall planking was 2 sided and glued to the forms. This is incorrect. There should be a full set of planked walls in the hold, the forms provided are only to make the plank walls to the correct size, and then the form is discarded. You can see where my thikness of the walls to TOO thick, because I included the form. Back to the drawing board.

mistake.jpg

mistake1.jpg

mistake3.jpg

mistake2.jpg

HUGE MISTAKE made on my part. Folks, in revisiting the instructions, plans, and CAF pictures on Toms site, I realized I have built the walls for the hold accommodations incorrectly(parts have been reordered). The instructions are a bit confusing and I didnt due diligence. I thought that the wall planking was 2 sided and glued to the forms. This is incorrect. There should be a full set of planked walls in the hold, the forms provided are only to make the plank walls to the correct size, and then the form is discarded. You can see where my thikness of the walls to TOO thick, because I included the form. Back to the drawing board.

View attachment 407487

View attachment 407488

View attachment 407489

View attachment 407490
Does it matter? Will these walls be fully covered by a beam?

Do I understand that the walls should be without this core/template inside ?
yes, that i my new understanding. When I looked how the Water Pump House was built it became more clear to me. You can see in the photo the Pump House, this had a form as well, but CAF only included, 2 forms, 1 side and 1 back. So the deduction as the house is 4 sided, that the cores are just to build the walls to that measurement

pump.jpg

Last edited:
Back