CAF 1/48 Scale La Renommee 1744

Attached is Tom from CAF's response on how to build the walls. I think just the overlay is too thin, so Im going to try a few with the 1.5x5 strips as the inside portion and the overlay facing out to give the overlay some stability

message.jpg

J'avoue que je suis aussi tenté par ce modèle. Ce qui me pose question est la longueur du modèle (il faut de la place) et aussi mon niveau de compétence. J'ai déjà acheté sur Ebay la monographie de J. Boudriot. Merci pour votre journal de construction. En attendant je me fais la main sur 'La Belle'.
Savez vous quand Tom de Cafmodel mettra en vente les modules suivant (session 5 et 6) ?

I admit that I am also tempted by this model. What concerns me is the length of the model (it needs space) and also my skill level. I have already bought J. Boudriot's monograph on Ebay. Thanks for your build log. In the meantime, I'm getting my hands on 'La Belle'.
Do you know when Tom from Cafmodel will put the following modules (session 5 and 6) on sale?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking very good - I know how much work are thes small floors, platforms, walls for the interior.....

A small hint, which is maybe working - we can see that between the edge of the floor elements have a small gap towards the inner planking (green arrows)
When you sand the lower part of the floor to get appr. the form of the inner planking (green line) the visible gap will be reduced

I hope this small sketch is making my words understandable -
on the left side - how it is now
on the right side - floor is more flat to the inner planking

Screenshot 2023-11-21 112811.png

Good morning Paul. Lovely work. I enjoy the detail this CAF Le Renommee kit. I am researching a POF kit for my next model and this one is on my agenda. I still worry about my skill level to do a POF kit tho. Cheers Grant
Grant your skill level is far superior to mine! I wouldnt worry about your skill level. The CAF kit is extremely well designed, the instructions can definitely be challenging to understand though.

J'avoue que je suis aussi tenté par ce modèle. Ce qui me pose question est la longueur du modèle (il faut de la place) et aussi mon niveau de compétence. J'ai déjà acheté sur Ebay la monographie de J. Boudriot. Merci pour votre journal de construction. En attendant je me fais la main sur 'La Belle'.
Savez vous quand Tom de Cafmodel mettra en vente les modules suivant (session 5 et 6) ?

I admit that I am also tempted by this model. What concerns me is the length of the model (it needs space) and also my skill level. I have already bought J. Boudriot's monograph on Ebay. Thanks for your build log. In the meantime, I'm getting my hands on 'La Belle'.
Do you know when Tom from Cafmodel will put the following modules (session 5 and 6) on sale?
Actually I just sent Tom that question yesterday, on sessions 5 and 6. Waiting on a response, but will but the answer when I receive it

Looking very good - I know how much work are thes small floors, platforms, walls for the interior.....

A small hint, which is maybe working - we can see that between the edge of the floor elements have a small gap towards the inner planking (green arrows)
When you sand the lower part of the floor to get appr. the form of the inner planking (green line) the visible gap will be reduced

I hope this small sketch is making my words understandable -
on the left side - how it is now
on the right side - floor is more flat to the inner planking

View attachment 408418
Got it, thanks Uwe!

Here is Toms response on sessions 5 and 6
I am currently working on the content of the fifth section, and I am currently laying the deck. It is expected that the testing will be completed by December, and then I can start writing instructions and production. It is expected that the fifth section will be sold as soon as the end of December to early January
It is expected that this ship will be completed from April to May next year.

It is working very good with the brass strips from CAF - due to their form they will fit very good - after soldering the ends together and blackaning you can easily push them over the barrels

barrels and boxes of my Le Coureur

View attachment 381939 View attachment 381941

- do not use the center one / the streight ones - there was no installed around the barrel

View attachment 381942
Uwe, I have these barrels....what did you use to hold the rings together while you soldered them?

I think I used the "four hands" - do not ask me the correct english term
I have something like this and used 2 of the clamps
View attachment 413976
Thankyou, I'll need to get one, mine only has 2 hands, not 4. Uwe, this my first attempt soldering, it dosent seem to be adhering to the brass well, any hints on good soldering technique? Thankyou, Paul

Last edited:
Thankyou, I'll need to get one, mine only has 2 hands, not 4.
But with two of them it can also work - the two ends of the ring have to get in contact and should stay there - that is enough

Beautifully executed Paul, really nice joinery on her, the kit design only takes that so far, your meticulous nature takes it from there! Merry Christmas! Always enjoy your posts!

Back