CAF Models La Salamandre...1:48 My Attempt

Another week gone by and this is where we are at with Salamandre.
I finished up the riders and installed some bolts on the planks and deck clamp. I used .5mm copper wire for planks and .8 on the clamp.
On the sides of the riders I tried using using black .5mm fishing line for bolts. A skew chisel works great for cutting the line, no sanding needed. The right side of the rider is finished with the line. I really like the look of the black line but for the planking I think it would be to much on the planks the copper is more subtle on the light wood.
The last thing done was to fit the beams for the fore lower platform. I think I am only going to plank half of the platform. I don’t know if I want to cut open the side of the hull, I may just finish on side of the ship and leave the other side in frame...Decisions Decisions.

94A11FC6-F7C7-42E0-A9B1-DB43AF1B05A7.jpeg317075D2-3495-4ABE-9D74-4A8420CF1C92.jpegA0DCE64D-2B8D-4187-B3E4-C394303CD7FD.jpegC3332C23-FAAB-4BED-98BC-4EA2EB3EF9EA.jpeg5E6D4FA5-A848-4631-B8ED-F1AC67D15B68.jpeg1E077B45-F649-4808-A504-032F61AA89C7.jpegD43A5154-5B8C-4D3C-887A-D7AC0EF5D8F0.jpeg

Very good appearance of the inner hull - I just get the feeling, that I should come back once to my own Salamandre ........ decisions to make ;)
Very good work - I am looking forward to see more of your progress

500m should last a couple life timesROTF

Hi BigMike .... how is it going the ship?

I have a question for you.

I LOVE the model you are building. One of the main reasons is the half open hull design that gives you possibilities to expand in inside building structures view.

The question:

Do you think that your model allows that opening because of its structural design OR the same can be done to another POF model ?

Why this question. My mind have been around the HALIFAX POF sell by ZHL Model. As there are many info on what the lower deck contains I was thinking "Can I do that opening on this Halifax ?"

Well.... I would like to hear your thoughts. Thumbsup

Cheers
Daniel

Well.... I would like to hear your thoughts.
Hi Daniel, not much happening on Salamandre. My mother’s health has gotten progressively worse over the past month and taking a lot of time keeping her out of an extended care facility. Hope to get back working soon.
I believe opening a side of a POF model would be doable. It would take some figuring where to cut the frames but I would think you could cut frames without having to make many adjustments. @Thomas has a very nice Soleil Royal build going where he has cut away a side. He has done a lot of bashing to do it and it is amazing. That build is a POB.
Im still undecided if I’m going to cut out a side or not. I am going to leave a large portion of the decks without planking to leave the frame work exposed.
Hope to see you do Halifax, it should build into a nice model.

Well I have put this off long enough, welcome to my build log of La Salamandre. The kit is amazing, the materials are top quality.
This build will be quite a challenge for me but fortunately I have Uwek, ADC and Koreets logs to follow.

View attachment 164887View attachment 164888View attachment 164889

The building jig was straight forward and went together easily. I used some wood blocks for extra support and also left the ends removable.View attachment 164893View attachment 164894View attachment 164895
View attachment 164892

Next up was building the frames...
Hallo Mike, alias @BigMike
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back