Cafmodels 1/48th scale HMS Bellona

There was a discussion on my Hms Ontario about the gupnports,some said the gunports should be paralel with waterline some said with the sheerline of the gundeck.

https://www.shipsofscale.com/sosfor...0-scale-1-32-pob-full-version.1185/post-38025

Here's an extract from the admiralty-draught. The gunport sides are all parallel and vertical, however the sills follow the deck-sheer and not the waterline.

As far as I know only the Dutch built ships had perfectly square gunports. The British were always more or less rhomboid

Peter

I have always thought the ports should be parallel with the deck sheerline. I've build kits where it seems depending on the build it can follow one or the other. To me it makes more sense to follow the Sheer, guns sit directly on decks.

Here's an extract from the admiralty-draught. The gunport sides are all parallel and vertical, however the sills follow the deck-sheer and not the waterline.

As far as I know only the Dutch built ships had perfectly square gunports. The British were always more or less rhomboid

Peter
As far as I know also Dutch build vessels have their gun ports following the deck line and dont have square gun ports.
See below a picture of the Batavia perfectly showing this with its non rectangular gun ports in the aft part of the ship where the deck is rising.
Batavia-Lelystad-CR-Gouwenaar.jpg

@Maarten You honestly don't believe what Willem Vos did?! The Batavia (1627) was a shell-first built ship! Thus the gunports would have been perfectly square (or rectangular). Willem Vos' Batavia is built frame-first thus the gunports are rhomboid.

I know of about seventy seventienth century Dutch gunport lids. One of the Batavia, one of the Den Helder Wreck and the rest from the Vasa. These are all shell-first built shps and their gunports are ALL square! After 1700 when frame-first built ships were being built on Dutch Yards here too the gunports became rhomboid.

Here's the Batavia gunport. Wendy van Duivenvoorde writes: "The gunport preserved on the side of Batavia's hull structure is more or less square..."

And here's the Den Helder Wreck gunport lid:

But lets not hijack my Bellona thread, this subject is worth a thread in itself.

Peter

Last edited:
Hi Peter,

One last comment on this. I just checked my copy of Nicolaas Witsens scheepsbouw konst opengestelt which is a 17th century book about ships build in the 17th century in The Netherlands. He is writing in 17th century Dutch: Na 't rijzen en daelen des Verdecks en overloops stelt men de poorten. This means that the gun port is following the rise and fall of the deck. Offcourse the majority of the ports are more or less square.
See the part of witsens below.
20181118_200740.jpg

Hello Olympic,

very interesting to look over your shoulder. I was a liitle bit confused about the kits sold on eBay. I finally made up my mind and bought one, similar to yours, which means, the same mistakes with the parts.

Greetings
Michael

Hello Peter,

the kit has already arrived, the same as yours, even the CD with jpg-scans of the original manual. I hope it´s not nasty, when I tell, what I had to pay for the first session = 97,12 Euros. The quality is ok, similar to yours, the mistake you mentioned is clear visible.

What I don´t understand is the fact, that the complete kit, session 1-4, is offered at ZHL for (sorry my currency is the Euro) 920 Euro shipping cost included. Try Ebay and will find the same for 1.200 oder more Euros.

I will make a few attempts and then decide, whether it is worth continuing with the amount of errors and the lousy quality of the instructions.
Hope you show us your progress again soon.

Greetings
Michael

Is there an update on this project ??? The knock off price is still under $ 100,00 . I assume the seller is offering part one only. Is there a part two etc etc ??
For us on a fixed income CAF kits are out of reach , a cheaper option even with warts and all would be great

The "cheap" version can be built and can be used as an entre into the project, but it does have ist flaws. The novice will be completely overtasked with the lack of instructions. If one can manage these issues then there will be fun to build. I do believe though, that the wood used is thinner than on the more expensive version. I'd love to get back to mine, and I will eventually, but other projects have a higher priority.

Thanks Olympic
I checked and it looks like the cheapo set only covers part one of the set. Are there any further sets available to continue the built ???

Can you confirm that the generic kit only includes part one and none of the other parts ?? That would somehow explain the low price .

Back