Caldercraft HMS Victory 1:72 TonyH

Good morning Tony. The quarter galleries fix is something I would definitely do. Those out of line windows will be a glaring irregularity- drive you mad. It is just wood so you will get this spot on. This would be similar for the wales. My wales also swept up at the bow and I managed to create an illusion of this not happening with the water line and the planking around the anchor haus. See my bad wale ROTF.
View attachment 348308

However:
If you can I would redo them and the copper plates by the water line (if possible). (I don’t have any idea how to do this) Definitely will make a difference and be correct. Good luck and enjoy. Cheers Grant
Bad wale sounds like something Jonah would say. Unfortunately I'm still finding issues, maybe Tony's Victory will be modelled on how she looked after Trafalgar.

I sold my Caldercraft Victory kit to another SoS member. I was just thinking, I should open one of the paint containers and check the state as they are 4 years old. I won't do that unless you decide you might want them.
By the end of January I'll know if I have a buyer for my house and will be able to give you an answer thanks again for your very generous offer.
Tony

Cheers Tony. Try Cornwall Model boats for the trucks. I know they cell a lot of parts for the CC kits incl the complete pe sets. I have delft with them and shipping is not expensive. BTW the AM painst last a long time, I still have paint left over from my first ship the endeavor from cc (close to 10 years old) and they are still good. You iwll need to ring Float a Boat or visit them when they re open. The website is nothing like the contents of the store. Float a boat is a awsome place to browse. As to my Victory. many thks. Warm weather over summer call for other activities that do not mix well with models!.

You should consider purchasing Evergreen styrene square tube for the gunport openings. It takes paint well and available at hobby stores.

Cheers Tony. Try Cornwall Model boats for the trucks. I know they cell a lot of parts for the CC kits incl the complete pe sets. I have delft with them and shipping is not expensive. BTW the AM painst last a long time, I still have paint left over from my first ship the endeavor from cc (close to 10 years old) and they are still good. You iwll need to ring Float a Boat or visit them when they re open. The website is nothing like the contents of the store. Float a boat is a awsome place to browse. As to my Victory. many thks. Warm weather over summer call for other activities that do not mix well with models!.
Thanks Paul I'll be making some inquires after the holidays, there's a lot more to do on this model than I expected so painting could be a long way off see my next update.

Hi I would like to wish everyone a happy, healthy and prosperous new year.
I'm finding a model this size is a bit awkward to work on. Today I finished a building jig that allows me to work on it while it's on its side. I had some left over aluminium extrusion which is perfect for this job, very strong, straight and square.

IMG_20230101_183151.jpg
IMG_20230101_172612.jpg
IMG_20230103_170554.jpg
The jig looks long but it's the same size as the finished ship at 1.4 metres. The ship is quite stable to work on when it's on its side.

IMG_20230101_153537.jpg
There's a big difference in size between my last ship even though they're both the same scale.

IMG_20230101_182110.jpg
Now I can investigate what's wrong with these cannons off the ship they're the same height.

Tony

Perhaps an optical illusion. In the left gunport the inner frame is completely mounted, in the right one it is not, just the base frame. Plus the angle of the picture........
Your Victory is looking great so far!
Regards Christian

Perhaps an optical illusion. In the left gunport the inner frame is completely mounted, in the right one it is not, just the base frame. Plus the angle of the picture........
Your Victory is looking great so far!
Regards Christian
Hi Christian thanks for your comments. I wish it was just an optical illusion the gunport frames are more or less in line on the outside, the left one has a cover so the frame is different. I purchased this model build to this stage, before I continue with the build I'm checking what needs to be done.

Just finished checking the gunports at the bow and this looks like a big problem. The only way I can find out for sure is to remove all the planks which I'm not going to do. I think bulkheads 2 and 3 are to high this didn't look too bad at first.

IMG_20230101_181138.jpg
Bulkheads 2 right and 3 left the gaps under the deck supports shows how much the bulkheads are high.

IMG_20230101_180918.jpg
Bulkheads 3 and 4 look OK

IMG_20230101_181741.jpg
The deck is raised at BH 3.

IMG_20230104_133631.jpg
I also noticed the plywood keel was showing around BH 2/3.

IMG_20230101_181353.jpg
Harder to see on the photo but when you run your hand over it there's a flat spot at the bow.
I still need to check the stern as the guns are an issue as well.
Any ideas would be appreciated, I know I can get the quarter deck to sit level and pack the guns up to make them level, most of which won't show but I don't think that's the best way to go.

Give that you need to put the cross beams on in order, an some of these are skipped and they are covered with inner planking, I'd just make sue they are all level. My guess is bulheads were not seated all the way down initially measure against the 1:1 plans and adjust. The cross beans do not sit on the bulkhead supports but against them.

An optical illusion was easier to handle. ;)
It seems that the deck is a little wavy.
Unfortunately not an easy surgery.
Regards Christian

Give that you need to put the cross beams on in order, an some of these are skipped and they are covered with inner planking, I'd just make sue they are all level. My guess is bulheads were not seated all the way down initially measure against the 1:1 plans and adjust. The cross beans do not sit on the bulkhead supports but against them.
Hi Paul thanks for the advice this is an early edition of the kit serial number 2011-03 purchased in 2004 I've been looking to see if there was any production issues with the early models but there's not much on the internet. If the bulkheads where not seated correctly would the dummy gun strips parts 39 still go through the bulkheads?
Tony

True. Mine is a 2013-14 kit also. The only issues that i know of have been bad cnc cuts on the bulkheads, but normally only to one side where a strip of limewood has been needed to make them symetrical.

Di the kit come with the leftover ply from the bulkheads - this will tell you. Whilst I have with gaps at the top of the inner bullwark template for lateral positioning, the bulkheads are consistent in height. Maybe they broke one and made another. One of the crossbeam supports does not look evenly shaped.. MIne are definitely all the same in height with a ruler edge. If it is any help mine ar eall the are all 27mm from the planked deck middle to aft and 28 - 29 from mid to bow.

True. Mine is a 2013-14 kit also. The only issues that i know of have been bad cnc cuts on the bulkheads, but normally only to one side where a strip of limewood has been needed to make them symetrical.

Di the kit come with the leftover ply from the bulkheads - this will tell you. Whilst I have with gaps at the top of the inner bullwark template for lateral positioning, the bulkheads are consistent in height. Maybe they broke one and made another. One of the crossbeam supports does not look evenly shaped.. MIne are definitely all the same in height with a ruler edge. If it is any help mine ar eall the are all 27mm from the planked deck middle to aft and 28 - 29 from mid to bow.
Hi Paul thanks for your help I didn't have much time to look at the model today, busy getting the house ready for the open house on the weekend.
The heights from your deck correspond to mine. The funny thing is according to the drawing the top of the gunport should be 5mm from the deck, the only one that is close is at bullhead 3 which is the high one. Most of the gunports are at the wrong height, more investigation tomorrow.
Tony

Hi Tony have been watching with interest fixing up your victory . Came across this store buying usb"s some good stuff brand names also model parts for wood ships worth a look ALiExpress then zj cn model co ltd have bought a few tools and parts cheap but quite good terry l

Back