Caldercraft Steam Tug Imara 1/32nd scale by neptune

Looks like a great kit John. Do you add radio control?

G'day Maarten, yes I will be adding Radio control, I have the motors and the speed controller, also a smoke maker, I have had her on thre pond to make sure everything was watertight, see pics below, she is not fully ballasted yet as I have to add the motors etc and then any extra ballast to bring her down to the water line,
my other little tug which is a river tug, I had to ballast down in the head as when she started to tow the Imara her head would come up,

DSCF2814.jpg

DSCF2815.jpg

DSCF2818.jpg

DSCF2819.jpg

DSCF2820.jpg

DSCF2821.jpg

DSCF2823.jpg

DSCF2825.jpg

73.jpg
For the main windows on the lower deck I decided to use black plastic, I cut pieces large enough to cover
the back of the window frames, and then other pieces to fit inside the frames and glue onto the back piece
of plastic,

74.jpg
Showing one window finished apart from a small clean up,

75.jpg
Another view,

76.jpg
Next up is the ladder ways, this is how they are supplied, and I cut the steps from some 7x2mm stuff i had handy,

78.jpg
Starboard side assembled,

80.jpg
Hower with the smaller ones I had some difficulties as the tread supports were moulded at different heights,
I ended up have to cut the lower two supports on one side so that I could install the treads level,

81.jpg
a view of both ladders just sitting in place,

82.jpg
and a view of the lower one which I think could have been a bit longer with maybe one more tread,

Great accomplishments thus far, Jhon and both models look really good on the water. As Maarten mentioned we are waiting for 'Smoke on the water, and... (Deep Purple) LOL

No worries Jim, but you lost me with the Deep Purple part,

best regards John.

83.jpg
This is the base or footing for one of the davits, Just drilling the holes for securing it to the deck, I have some
1.4m nuts and bolts coming in the post that will secure them in place,

84.jpg
The davits have a pin moulded in at the bottom end which locates in a slot on either side
of the footing, this enables them to pivot, but in practice they will be secured in place,

85.jpg
And this shows how far they can be lowered, if you want to show the boat in that position,

86.jpg
and a view of the superstructure as it is at the moment,

87.jpg
Next up is the protection bars that go over the engine room skylights, they give you straight lengths of steel rod,
which you have to shape to fit as in the pic above,

88.jpg
this is where they will be positioned after cutting the legs down to size,

89.jpg
The castings for the towing equipment, they still need a bit if cleaning up and drilling out for the securing bolts
to go through,

90.jpg
The two hooks assembled with the securing bolts,

91.jpg
and with the quick release levers attached, I will have one open and the other closed,

92.jpg
and approximately where the towing gear will sit,

Last edited:
95.jpg
these are the three parts that support the bars that go over
the skylights, you can see in the pic below how they are fitted,

96.jpg
I did have a problem with the thickness of the engine room casing, which was a bit on the thin side,
so I used builders license and glued a strip of 6mm x 2mm pine on top of the casing and then added the
supports,

97.jpg
side view,

98.jpg
and an overhead view, you can see the strips in place but once painted I think they will blend in OK,

99.jpg
Next up was locating the position of the towing apparatus, the semi circular parts on which the Hooks will sit
had to be level with the top of the protection bars, the unit is not yet glued in place as i have to paint it yet,

100.jpg
the towing hooks,

101.jpg
and the main seating piece,

Last edited:
102.jpg
The towing assembly now painted and installed,

103.jpg
another view, the towing bars still need another coat of paint,

104.jpg
This is the main shackle that holds the towing hooks in place,

105.jpg
and a close up of the hook assembly,

106.jpg
both hooks in place, just got to touch up the paint a little,

110.jpg
now its on to the fire hydrants, just a little bit of a clean up needed on these, and a little bit of drilling, the two
largest parts at the top of the pic had a short stub on the bottom that is to be glued into a tube, but I decided
to cut the stub off and drill them through to take a piece of brass rod that would go right down through and
into the deck, I though it would be stronger this way,

111.jpg
both parts with the stub cut off and one part has been drilled through,

112.jpg
I then sleeved the brass rod with some brass tube to bring it to the right diameter and glued the cast bases in
place, these two hydrants are sitting on the work bench with the brass rod that will go through the deck actually
going through the work bench,

113.jpg
After drilling out the two holes on the top parts and glueing the hydrant connections on,

114.jpg
the hand wheels that go on the top are very fragile and they needed to
be drilled out, so I placed them on a piece of wood and taking a drill bit
of the right size I gently tapped the drill bit into the small hole that was
there, then I placed them over a small hole I had drilled through the wood
and kept tapping the drill bit till it went right through, then they just slipped
into place these are very soft and need a lot of care in handling, however
when they are completely glued up they are quite strong,

115.jpg
The hand wheels in place,

116.jpg
My fingers just to show the size of the pieces,

117.jpg
and finally with a coat of red paint, they will dry matt,

Back