Caldercraft Steam Tug Imara 1/32nd scale by neptune

I can echo Maarten. Really nice, and steady progress.

G'day Jim, thank you for the encouragement, I sometimes wonder where all the time in the day goes, :eek::eek::eek:, they say times flys but I can't seem to catch it,

best regards john,

170.jpg
I needed a couple of cleats for on the side of the funnel and I couldn't find the ones
that were supposed to be in the kit, so I had a couple of Amati metal cleats, and I
drilled down through the cleats and CA glued a piece of 1.5mm wire in place just so
I would have something to anchor them to the funnel,

171.jpg
the finished cleats,

172.jpg
next up were the lifebelt holders, there are four fitted two on the after end of the casing and two on the front,
they have a small stub moulded on the back for locating once a hole is drilled, I had some small copper pins,
so I drilled a hole through the holder and used the copper pins along with CA glue to secure them, these are
the ones on the after end of the casing,

173.jpg
close up view,

174.jpg
and how they will look with the life belt in place,

175.jpg
the small copper pins I used, I bought a big jar of they at a car boot sale when I was in England,

176.jpg
I darkened the brass chain with Copper sulphide and cloudy ammonia and then secured it in place,

177.jpg
another view,

178.jpg
the chains go down to the deck through tubes attached to the side of the casing, I cut two copper tubes to the
right size and used the kit supplied ring bolts to hold them to the casing,

179.jpg
the tubes in place,

180.jpg
I CA glued approx five links of the chain into the top of the tube then took the chain across the casing around
the pulleys and up and around the main sprocket and then across to the other side where I cut the chain and
then CA glued it into the other tube, this is a none working part as the casing has to be lifted off to access the
inside of the boat

187.jpg
next on the list is the bridge supports, there are two on each side plus a smaller thinner one supporting the
companionway deck, this pic shows what I used for the support poles, they are Ladies crochet needles, made
out of aluminum, cost fifty cents in the charity shop, the top three have had their ends cut off ready,

188.jpg
So I worked out the position according to the drawings and drilled 2.4mm holes down through the bridge deck,
slipped the poles down through to the saloon deck,

189.jpg
I leave the point on one end because when I have worked out their position i just give the top of the pole a tap and
I have the position marked, the front one has already had holed drilled to accept the pole,

190.jpg
This is how they will look after fitting the deck support rings,

191.jpg
all four poles in place, I leave the support rings up around the poles then give them two coats of paint
after which I slip them down and glue them to the deck, makes the painting a bit easier,

192.jpg
and the port side view,

193.jpg
There is another support that comes off the main pole and supports the wing of the bridge, after marking the
pole I first drill through with a small diameter drill bit, being careful to drill on the centre of the pole,

194.jpg
then I drill through again with a larger diameter bit,

195.jpg
on the end of the bridge support I grind a taper so that it will fit snugly into the hole,

196.jpg
Then I drill through the wing of the bridge in line with the pole, I bend the taper to an angle to suit so it will fit
into the hole in the support,

197.jpg
the wing support glued in position,

198.jpg
and I grind the end of the support level with the bridge wing,

199.jpg
starboard supports in place,

200.jpg
Head on view,

201.jpg
And after all that it is time for a nice cup of tea and a biscuit, :):):),

Very good progress on these small parts and fittings of the boat - nice gimmick with the coffee table Thumbs-Up

Thank you Uwe, the table frame and the table top is supplied as plywood, and the legs as castings and the chairs are made up from castings also, you can just see a fridge in the far corner, they also supply all the cups and saucers, but you have to bring your own tea bags, ;););),

Best regards John,

Back