Chaperon 1884 Steamer by Model Shipways, 1:48 Scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

After working on a couple of smaller projects during the past 12 months I decided to build a riverboat steamer. This kit is based on the Chaperon which was built in Chambersburg, Ohio in 1884. The real boat was 120 feet long, 21 feet wide and 4 feet deep. It was operated on short trade routes and excursions between Bowling Green and Mammoth Cave. The Chaperon was sold prior to WW1 and taken to the Mississippi and renamed the Choctaw where she sailed on the Tallahatchie River until 1922 when she was destroyed by fire.
I researched the different steamer kits available and chose this one primarily as the instructions were done by Ben Lankford and Bob Crane. Crane does an excellent job with plans and instructions. The quality of the kit looks very good. The wood is all in good shape and laser cutting is excellent. The second pic shows most of the parts for the hull laid out before gluing
Day 1 was kit inventory, going through the various Britannia parts(they need some work) and preparing the keel and bulkhead parts for assembly. This consisted mostly of removing char and performing some intial fairing work on the first 5 bulkheads and front and rear parts. All are clearly marked for fairing lines.
Hallo @Barry1
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

After working on a couple of smaller projects during the past 12 months I decided to build a riverboat steamer. This kit is based on the Chaperon which was built in Chambersburg, Ohio in 1884. The real boat was 120 feet long, 21 feet wide and 4 feet deep. It was operated on short trade routes and excursions between Bowling Green and Mammoth Cave. The Chaperon was sold prior to WW1 and taken to the Mississippi and renamed the Choctaw where she sailed on the Tallahatchie River until 1922 when she was destroyed by fire.
I researched the different steamer kits available and chose this one primarily as the instructions were done by Ben Lankford and Bob Crane. Crane does an excellent job with plans and instructions. The quality of the kit looks very good. The wood is all in good shape and laser cutting is excellent. The second pic shows most of the parts for the hull laid out before gluing
Day 1 was kit inventory, going through the various Britannia parts(they need some work) and preparing the keel and bulkhead parts for assembly. This consisted mostly of removing char and performing some intial fairing work on the first 5 bulkheads and front and rear parts. All are clearly marked for fairing lines.
Hallo @Barry1
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back