• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

Charles Morgan Bark 1:64 POB - By Bill-R

Hi Bob,
I agree that a serious modeler would want to make their model as correct as possible, if they were planning to have it judged. I spent many decades building scale r/c aircraft for competition and understand the importance of building a model based on the best information. I also like to build models just for enjoyment.

Bill

I did not expect my first "grown up" ship model to be judged. I was wrong about that. As I discovered to my surprise, every scale ship model I've ever built has been relentlessly and continuously judged by the most exacting examiner of all. Try as I might, I've never been able to ignore the flaws in my own work. For me, the enjoyment is in the pursuit of excellence itself. Failure is not defined by falling short of absolute perfection, but rather by tolerating a failure to pursue it. I do understand that many like to build models for their own enjoyment alone and I'm sure their models serve that purpose well. ;)
 
Hello everyone,

Just received my Charles Morgan kit form Model Expo. I placed the order this past Tuesday and it was delivered today. Three days. You can't beat that. I will say though that I live Florida, but you still can't beat that. Also, I have had my eye on the Charles Morgan for a long time, but when I saw the sale Model Expo was having on it, I snapped it up. The regular price is $469.99 and the sale price is $228.50. I have never been disappointed with Model Expo's customer service.

Lately I have been doing a lot research for an upcoming clipper build. While I am doing that, I will start the Charles Morgan.
BTW, when my wife saw the new kit, she asked "Are you going to finish that one". I don't know what she means, but challenge accepted.

Bill

View attachment 465195View attachment 465196
View attachment 465197
Congrats! I made the mistake many years ago of buying the Artesania Latina version of the Charles W Morgan on closeout for $102. After a trip to Mystic Seaport and buying a set of the Morgan plans, I found out that the hull dimensions were way off. The hull was a lot wider that it should have been compared to its length. Just looking at your plan sheet, I can see that they are a whole lot more accurate compared to the Artesania Latina plans and probably taken from the Mystic plans that I still have rolled up in their original mailing tube. I intended to turn it into a model of the Pequod from the original Moby Dick movie, but after finding out the inaccuracies after starting it I just gave up!
 
Back
Top