Columbus ships, Santa Maria and Pinta, kit by Amati... [COMPLETED BUILD]

Foremast shrouds have been assembled. Position of anchor is slightly on the way of a shroud and I will reposition it later so the shroud is with no obstacle.

Pinta 282.jpg

Pinta 283.jpg

Pinta 284.jpg

For main mast shrouds I decided to go with different approach; install shrouds on the mast first and then attach deadeyes. This way I do have a bit more room for a work. Shrouds are added to the mast in sequences, one for starboard, second for port, then starboard, port... until all 6 are put in place.

Pinta 285.jpg

Then I have attached main mast to the ship. I had to check the orientation of the top few times as it was with no logic for me that top is facing stern instead of bow... Maybe someone can shed some lights on why is positioning this way unless sailors were checking if someone was chasing them ...

Pinta 286.jpg

Now, the deadeyes are next...

Happy modelling..

Last edited:
Attaching deadeyes to the single block already installed on the deck, was not quite clean operation as I was thinking it will be. It is difficult to make the length of the deadeye rope the same for all, and accessing single blocks can be a tricky business. I used different forceps to keep both rope lines together while seizing deadeyes.

Pinta 287.jpg

I managed to do it for a main mast, but for a poop deck I decided to remove single blocks from deck and attach deadeyes before assembling them back..

Pinta 288.jpg

Some hooks were glued to the deck very good so I just opened them to remove single blocks... for others I used few drops of acetone to loosen the grip and remove hooks.

Now it is much easier to work on this small assembly then using surgical tools.. :)

Pinta 289.jpg

All four completed...

Pinta 290.jpg

... and installed back to the ship...

Pinta 291.jpg

Now I know for Santa Maria, even dough she has channels, there are still be several single blocks holding deadeyes...

Happy modelling..

Shrouds for main and bowsprit masts are done;

Pinta 295.jpg

Pinta 296.jpg

Pinta 294.jpg

The mizzen mast installed, making sure it stays up by using fancy pin tool...

Pinta 292.jpg

Pinta 293.jpg

I aslo worked a bit on a rudder, adding spikes/nails, actually simulating them using a small nail, cut 2mm from the top so it can be inserted into hole without going all the way to the other side.

A bit of a touch paint work is required at this stage to complete the rudder...

Pinta 297.jpg

Pinta 298.jpg

Happy modelling..

Awesome ship! Fancy pin is what we do to figure out tomorrow, so we can fix it.

Happy modeling.

Work on main mast stay was on the way by sanding out hearts to have a bit larger hole and after hole is done, they were set up in helping hands and lanyards added.

Pinta 300.jpg

Pinta 299.jpg

Pinta 301.jpg

Small clothespin is used to keep seizing on place while stretching the stays..

Pinta 302.jpg

Pinta 303.jpg

Pinta 304.jpg

And mounted..

Pinta 305.jpg

Pinta 306.jpg

Getting fairly crowded up there...

Pinta 307.jpg

The stays for mizzen mast was next by adding a barrier to make sure stays are on the top of the mast. Few layers of painter' tape will do the trick..

Pinta 308.jpg

Deadeyes and lanyards were added, one at the each side of a ship...

Pinta 309.jpg

Pinta 310.jpg

Pinta 311.jpg

Pinta 312.jpg

Pinta 313.jpg

And done...

Pinta 314.jpg

Happy modelling.

Stays are now completed and little green painter' tape barrier removed..

Pinta 315.jpg

Pinta 316.jpg

Then I worked on rudder to repaint parts were paint was scratched... first protect the wood..

Pinta 317.jpg

.. and painted with flat black; layer of oil was also added to seal and protect the work.

Pinta 318.jpg

It is time to make a stand for this ship. First I used plan to get the curvature of a ship area that will be sitting on a stand.

Pinta 319.jpg

Then traced it to two pieces of wood previously glued together; it is an oak wood this time. Trace is done on one side and the shape of a stand was completed. After that I used tracing paper and carbon copy paper, to make a symmetrical copy for a second half..

Pinta 320.jpg

Pinta 321.jpg

Final product, before cutting..

Pinta 322.jpg

To spice the model up, I added two barrels; first I used just plain black marker to colour barrel rings, then I add a layer of an oil..

Pinta 323.jpg

Pinta 324.jpg

.. and secured them with a rope..

Pinta 325.jpg

Pinta 326.jpg

Happy modelling...

The rudder is ready for mounting..

Pinta 327.jpg

I have cut the pedestal out of oak, shaped it and managed to break only one scroll saw blade and one bandsaw blade; honestly bandsaw blade was needed a replacement anyway... and sanded it...

Brief fitting test...

Pinta 328.jpg

The wire channel or grove was cut in bottom part of pedestal..

Pinta 329.jpg

Here is keel block, sanded and shaped.. it will have another layer of felt applied to protect the hull.

Pinta 330.jpg

Both parts..

Pinta 331.jpg

Pinta 333.jpg

For other two ship resting spots, one close to the bow and another close to the stern I used brass wire and pipe. Wire will hold the ship and pipe will just provide a wider appearance. I could have gone with just a thicker wire but had some pipe leftovers ... the hole in ship keel will be filled with a glue, wire inserted and attached to the bottom part of pedestal.

Pinta 332.jpg

The hole was drilled to the keel block to allow LED wires to go thru.. Not sure yet how to hide the battery pack (and switch) that will provide a power to LEDs.

Pinta 334.jpg

Happy modelling..

Last edited:
The rudder is ready for mounting..

View attachment 361530

I have cut the pedestal out of oak, shaped it and managed to break only one scroll saw blade and one bandsaw blade; honestly bandsaw blade was needed a replacement anyway... and sanded it...

Brief fitting test...

View attachment 361529

The wire channel or grove was cut in bottom part of pedestal..

View attachment 361528

Here is top part of pedestal, sanded and shaped.. it will have another layer of felt applied to protect the hull.

View attachment 361527

Both parts..

View attachment 361526

View attachment 361524

For other two ship resting spots, one close to the bow and another close to the stern I used brass wire and pipe. Wire will hold the ship and pipe will just provide a wider appearance. I could have gone with just a thicker wire but had some pipe leftovers ... the hole in ship keel will be filled with a glue, wire inserted and attached to the bottom part of pedestal.

View attachment 361525

The hole was drilled to the upper stand part to allow LED wires to go thru.. Not sure yet how to hide the battery pack (and switch) that will provide a power to LEDs.

View attachment 361523

Happy modelling..
Excellent work.

PInta is at the stage that sails will need to be done so I decided to get back to Santa Maria and to bring her to the same stage.. Thinking of sawing two sets of sails will be more efficient then one at a time...

The ship stand for Pinta is done.. just need to put a felt on it, once picked up from the store..

Pinta 335.jpg

Pinta is back to the shipyard warehouse...

Pinta 336.jpg

.. and Santa Maria is back to the table.

Pinta 337.jpg

Once you get used to Pinta's size, SM appears to be a huge ship..

Happy modelling...

The work on main mast (after being shaped) started by adding reinforcing pieces; 1x4mm with slightly tapered edges were glued to the mast. They are positioned at the bottom of the mast, where mast wedges and coat are added.

SantaMAria479.jpg

SantaMAria480.jpg

SantaMAria481.jpg

The reinforcing pieces are sanded and on the top filed to a slight angle. Then I started working on rope wooldings, 1mm black rope.. Locations are measured from the plan and first all wooldings are added to the main mast. Then topmast was glued to the main mast and two more wooldings were added.

SantaMAria482.jpg

SantaMAria483.jpg

SantaMAria484.jpg

Golden oak stain was applied to finished mast.

SantaMAria485.jpg

Happy modelling.

Back