Columbus ships, Santa Maria and Pinta, kit by Amati... [COMPLETED BUILD]

The work on rudder continues.. by making a new set of braces, three of them, cut out of a brass plate... 2mm wide. I used just a scalpel and cut probably 10 runs to have strips removed from the plate. I also marked a middle line that will show position for a piece of tube that will hold the pintle. The tube was soldered and then cut into required length. Just easier to maneuver the longer tube, instead just 2mm long, very tiny tube..

SantaMAria610.jpg

SantaMAria611.jpg

After soldering, all material are dumped into degreaser for a few minutes..

SantaMAria613.jpg

Washed under water and dipped into blackening solution.

SantaMAria612.jpg

While blackening is taking its time, I marked the position of braces on the keel side.

SantaMAria614.jpg

Before parts are put in blackening solution I tested fitting on the keel..

SantaMAria615.jpg

SantaMAria616.jpg

And mounted on the ship. Some touch ups are required since I used nails to secure braces to the hull..

SantaMAria617.jpg

Happy modelling..

Touch up for rudder braces... sorry for a weird picture..

SantaMAria618.jpg

Started to work on serving the for the mast.. the same helper machine and method was used for serving the line.. and result..

SantaMAria619.jpg

Now, simple seizing knot was done on the rope, and the line was dragged over the mast.

SantaMAria620.jpg

The working setup to keep the line straight so I can seize it correctly..

SantaMAria621.jpg

The mast was mounted to the ship..

SantaMAria622.jpg

SantaMAria623.jpg

Happy modelling..

There are four blocks that holds the mast at the stern area; they are attached to hooks which are pushed in the deck... I started with running the rope thru the hook and seize it closes to the hook possible..

SantaMAria625.jpg

Another seize is made approximately 6mm from the first one, which will mark the length of area that will be served.

SantaMAria624.jpg

The serving is done using the seize excess rope length, just running around the rope by hands. Then the simple knot was made leaving some room to insert the block. Block's opening will be further from the hook.

SantaMAria626.jpg

The rope looks very hairy from the zoom distance :)

SantaMAria627.jpg

A small dot of CA was applied on both ends of the knot and excess rope was cut.

SantaMAria628.jpg

The served block is pushed to the predrilled hole on the deck.. and secured with a drop of CA.

SantaMAria629.jpg

Now the fun part of attaching the backstays.. The distance template was made out of a wire..

SantaMAria630.jpg

It is necessary to attach a rope that will go thru the block on the deck. A simple seizing knot was used to secure it and one end of that seizing rope was used to serve the line..

SantaMAria631.jpg

SantaMAria632.jpg

SantaMAria633.jpg

SantaMAria634.jpg

Serving is done with a small load attached to the seizing line and run it around the rope 5-6 times. The load helps keeping it straight. Then a small drop of CA will fix the serving line.

SantaMAria635.jpg

Then blocks are connected..

SantaMAria636.jpg

SantaMAria637.jpg

SantaMAria638.jpg

A little help from blue tack to assist in preventing block from turning around and slipping of the template wire..

SantaMAria639.jpg

And completed.

SantaMAria640.jpg

SantaMAria641.jpg

Even though I put the excess rope on the desk, still contemplating how to make it more visually appealing and not taking to much space on the deck...

Happy modelling..

The mizzen mast is up and secured...

SantaMAria642.jpg

Now it is time for a dangerous part, DeWalt and ship model, who will win... need to slightly widen the opening for mainmast with 10mm drill bit... very controlled movements and very small speed completed the work with no damage to the model.. I don't have 10mm wide file to assist with this task..

SantaMAria643.jpg

And the main mast is up and glued.

SantaMAria644.jpg

SantaMAria645.jpg

Now, the same process but without DeWalt is done for foremast...

SantaMAria647.jpg

SantaMAria646.jpg

Once foremast was glued and secured, I worked on bowsprit, first by adding two blocks and correcting the angle at the end to sit flat on the deck. Originally I follow the plan but it will need to be more sharper angle for my deck..

SantaMAria650.jpg

SantaMAria648.jpg

SantaMAria649.jpg

Once bowsprit is glued to deck, I drilled a hole for a simulating nail, 0.6mm brass wire was driven thru, cut and sanded. The working area received a layer of golden oak stain to cover the sanding spot.. The simulating nail is not on the plan but I have added it as a small detail..

SantaMAria651.jpg

SantaMAria652.jpg

SantaMAria654.jpg

SantaMAria655.jpg

Happy modelling..

SantaMAria653.jpg

Attempting to protect the fragile parts I put some green tape around them, to make easier visual contact while working close by, but it is not quite working..

SantaMAria656.jpg

Flag pole was broken. Luckily, it was an easy fix..

SantaMAria657.jpg

Gammoning was done but took me a while to run all those rope runs thru very tight spot...using different tools managed to get it done but not completelly to my liking...

SantaMAria658.jpg

Then I start working on forestay... first I run the line for a block...

SantaMAria659.jpg

.. and seize it with a knot and few serving runs..

SantaMAria660.jpg

Then the block was attached and secured with a single knot; two drops of CA to secure the lines and excess rope was cut.

SantaMAria662.jpg

Then the other side of forestay started with a work on a block, seize knot and few serving runs.. with a help of a small clip..

SantaMAria663.jpg

SantaMAria664.jpg

Using distance template made out of a wire, I have attached the forestay to the main mast..

SantaMAria665.jpg

SantaMAria666.jpg

SantaMAria667.jpg

Now it is ready for final assembly later in the process..

SantaMAria668.jpg

Happy modelling..

Last edited:
I have decided to replace the "chainplate" from the kit with custom made chain plates. The upper links, middle links and toe links were made out of 0.6mm brass wire, which was run thru the flame from a small buttan torch, to make the wire easier to work with. Wire is also sanded with 1000 grid paper to remove any protection and to allow good blackening results.

First the deadeye was traced on the piece of wood and nails were pushed in.. and the nail tops were cut off..

SantaMAria669.jpg

SantaMAria670.jpg

Then not that hot anymore wire, was twisted around the nails to make an upper link.

SantaMAria671.jpg

Approximately 20 were made, but 12 are only needed.

SantaMAria672.jpg

The excess wire was cut with cutters to make the cut end as flat as possible which will allow good soldering grip. Every upper ink was tested with deadeye and wire adjusted to fit closely to the dead eye.

SantaMAria673.jpg

SantaMAria674.jpg

Then the soldering was done using low temperature silver paste and a torch..

SantaMAria675.jpg

SantaMAria676.jpg

SantaMAria677.jpg

SantaMAria678.jpg

All upper links were put in blackening solution for approximately 2 minutes then dropped into water and dried with paper towel.

SantaMAria679.jpg

Every link was polished with a small brush to remove excess blackening..

SantaMAria680.jpg

The deadeye was added to the upper ink and the wire was adjusted and squeezed. The pliers were holding the upper link on the side where soldering was done to prevent the breakage of that area when the wire was squeezed. Apparently silver soldering provides stronger bond so there is not much danger for breaking the link.

SantaMAria682.jpg

12 chosen one..

SantaMAria683.jpg

There are some collateral damage as well..

SantaMAria684.jpg

Now it is time to test the length of links.. deadeyes with upper link were put in channels.. and measurement was taken..

SantaMAria685.jpg

Now it is time to make middle links... I used some access card from one of my previous jobs as the width is appropriate.. and the wire was twisted around. The wire was cut and soldered.

SantaMAria686.jpg

SantaMAria687.jpg

Some filing was done and links were squeezed a bit in the middle..

SantaMAria688.jpg

After removing excess solder with files of different size, the links were blackened and polished and are ready for assembly. The next will be toe link and bolts.

SantaMAria689.jpg

Happy modelling..

Middle links were made in the same way as other copper parts and soldered with silver soldering... it does take some practice to make perfect soldering joint, the amount of solder used, the heat required... the upper and toe links were attached to the middle link before soldering and soldering was carefully done making sure not to burn the deadeye. After a bit of modelling on the link, all assembly was put in blackening solution.

SantaMAria690.jpg

SantaMAria691.jpg

The links were polished with a brush.... Now will make some rings..

SantaMAria692.jpg

Happy modelling..

Making a holes for chainplate hooks are done next..

SantaMAria700a.jpg

Mounting one chainplate assembly, I used a nail to mark the area where hook will be attached, the pilot hole (0.5mm) was drilled and the main hole was drilled using hand tool. Prefer not to use drilling machine for holes bigger that 1.2mm (with exception of DeWalt few posts above)...

SantaMAria698.jpg

Then hooks are made; 0.6mm brass wire, previously softened on the torch, first 90 degree was established...

SantaMAria693.jpg

.. then holding with needle pliers the wire was twisted around the point end, towards right hand side. The wire is soft so no damages to fingers...

SantaMAria694.jpg

SantaMAria695.jpg

... and hook is cut.

SantaMAria697.jpg

Blackened...

SantaMAria696.jpg

Now I have added a rivet to each hook, make it more interesting...

SantaMAria699.jpg

Soldered on the top...

SantaMAria700.jpg

SantaMAria701.jpg

One more blackening and cleaning baths...

SantaMAria702.jpg

And inserted into the hull..

SantaMAria703.jpg

SantaMAria705.jpg

SantaMAria706.jpg

Some of chainplates did not end up quite fine for me so I decided to replace them...

First, I measured the distance between upper plate and the hook, then divided on two and made several new parts using this small template...

SantaMAria708.jpg

Then the chain plate ends were silver soldered, filed and squeezed... here the soldered one is on the top, filled and cleaned in the middle and squeezed, ready for blackening on the bottom..

SantaMAria709.jpg

Testing the distance on the channel.. at this moment, some final adjustment for chainplate length was done..

SantaMAria710.jpg

Then blackening, cleaning and polishing was done and whole assembly was mounted to the ship..

SantaMAria711.jpg

SantaMAria712.jpg

SantaMAria713.jpg

SantaMAria714.jpg

Planning to put a capping strip to cover the channel slots even dough it was not on the kit plan...

Happy modelling..

It is hard to dedicate some modelling time during summer.... and other projects around the house..

Backstays for foremast was next task... they are attached to the mast and the same process was applied to them as for mizzen mast, with template to keep the distance same between blocks attached to the deck and blocks on the backstays; seizing rope was added after the block was secured in backstay...

First the rope was fixed with a CA glue...

SantaMAria717.jpg

Then the small opening was made between the rope and block, using a needle and the rope was pushed in... There were several attempts to drill it thru but at the end I made it..

SantaMAria718.jpg

Pull out further away with a players...

SantaMAria719.jpg

Then seizing rope was used to make seizing and 6 serving runs were done, using a small clothespin as a weight and running the seizing rope around...

SantaMAria720.jpg

The finish product...

SantaMAria721.jpg

Happy modelling..

These two pieces will be used to secure the foremast to the blocks attached to the deck, the end of the rope will be going around them instead of belaying pins..
Just preparing them for a future work...

SantaMAria723.jpg

SantaMAria722.jpg

Now it is time to work on backstays for a main mast...First the template was used to put the dead eye on,

SantaMAria728.jpg

then the backstay was prepared... I always struggled with how to keep the backstay tight when working on. Now I am using a simple knot to prevent usage of small clothespins, etc...

SantaMAria729.jpg

SantaMAria724.jpg

SantaMAria725.jpg

SantaMAria726.jpg

Now I can work on the shrouds without loosing the tightness in the rope.. seizing is on the way..

SantaMAria727.jpg

The final work..

SantaMAria730.jpg

and ready to be tighten later...

SantaMAria731.jpg

Happy modelling...

There must be some other ways of checking the unknown rope size, but I like to use this simple way: wrapping rope around some object 10 times, measure the wide of the wraps and the end result is divided by 10 giving the approximate diameter of the rope...

SantaMAria751.jpg

SantaMAria752.jpg

It is better to have manufacturer providing the rope size but sometimes you have to do it on your own..

Now it is time to work on halyard. First the holes are drilled for the hook/ring that will hold the whole assembly to the deck. For these tight locations, I usually use hand drill, not powered one, just because of more control available using a hand tool.

SantaMAria738.jpg

SantaMAria739.jpg

SantaMAria740.jpg

Then I worked on rams head block, by running the rope through the holes on the bottom and seize it with a 0.5mm black rope. The ring was attached to it as well, and few more seizing wraps are done to secure the rope and the ring.

SantaMAria741.jpg

SantaMAria742.jpg

SantaMAria743.jpg

Once it is done, I have attached halyard tackle through the bottom block.

SantaMAria744.jpg

SantaMAria745.jpg

SantaMAria746.jpg

On the upper block tye was added by running the rope through the block and seized on the top, similar to backstay...the whole assembly was then mounted on the deck. The ring was secured with two drops of CA.

SantaMAria747.jpg

SantaMAria748.jpg

SantaMAria749.jpg

SantaMAria750.jpg

Happy modelling..

Back