Command Deck.- Mantua / Panart #709

While I wait on Jimsky to show his work on cannon carriages I have been working on more small details.

I found some basswood stock from my model railroad stockpile and made waterway boards to install along the bulkwarks.

I scrapped and file an angled profile and stained them before gluing first one in the upper deck.

IMG_0377.jpeg

Well I am waiting on Jimsky to show how to use Dry Dicks cannon rigging kit and busy with work I haven’t got much done.

But the crew finally made it in port to inspect and work on the ship. They came all the way from UK for this project. A six piece crew kit in same scale from PanArt. Two officers and four crew.

IMG_0407.jpegIMG_0406.jpeg

Well after many weeks away from the shipyard, I was busy in the Rail Yard working my model trains for a show in Grapevine TX, but I am back on the Command Deck again.

I finished gluing in the waterway strips and decided with the stub mast I would add a boom going aft for just a bit extra detail.

I found a scrap piece of dowel from another project box and tapered it down to about half the original diameter. From 7mm to 3.7mm. Rounded the end and then glued more scraps on to make jaws on forward end.

Now to wait for glue to dry and shape them.

I also started on a ring to go on the stub mast for the boom to sit on.

IMG_0602.jpegIMG_0604.jpegIMG_0603.jpeg

Well after many weeks away from the shipyard, I was busy in the Rail Yard working my model trains for a show in Grapevine TX, but I am back on the Command Deck again.

I finished gluing in the waterway strips and decided with the stub mast I would add a boom going aft for just a bit extra detail.

I found a scrap piece of dowel from another project box and tapered it down to about half the original diameter. From 7mm to 3.7mm. Rounded the end and then glued more scraps on to make jaws on forward end.

Now to wait for glue to dry and shape them.

I also started on a ring to go on the stub mast for the boom to sit on.

View attachment 394611View attachment 394612View attachment 394613
Hi Kurt, Now having a little time to myself I started to browse some builds and came across yours, I don’t know how I missed it but I’m glad that I picked up on it. It’s not the usual but a little different, I think that you’re doing a terrific job at making and detailing this model, I can see the thought and effort that’s going into it and your log makes for very interesting reading. I’m also learning things from some of the replies that you’re getting, I’m late to the party but I’m now onboard. Ken.

Thanks @Ken & @dockattner for the comments.

This has been a fun project, and other than getting the cannons rigged and installed I have steps to do and glue the skylight to cabin down.

I hope to wrap up this nice fun project in a few weeks, maybe add some LED lights to cabin when I get a big enough "Round-Tu-It"

Kurt, glad you had a great time in Grapevine, great place! Your work on stub mast looks good. Moving forward! Magic Mike

Not much going on. Busy working fence line installing property line fence by daylight after work.

I did get several cannons breech lines installed and connected to eye pins. View attachment 397121
The model is looking very good.

Just a suggestion: The breech line should be able to extend beyond the end of the barrel, so as to allow the gun to be fully retracted for storage and loading. Assuming they will be run out on the model, then will then have extra slack, which is correct.

Ok back at it again. I have started working the lower deadeyes for the mast channel.

I got some black deadeyes from Dry Dock models and then cut up some scrap internet cable wire and stripped plastic shield off the individual wires and died them black.

First deadeye chain plate as test done

IMG_0865.jpegIMG_0864.jpeg

Ok back at it again. I have started working the lower deadeyes for the mast channel.

I got some black deadeyes from Dry Dock models and then cut up some scrap internet cable wire and stripped plastic shield off the individual wires and died them black.

First deadeye chain plate as test done

View attachment 412643View attachment 412644
Very effective, Kurt! Dry Dock's deadeyes pass the "closeup" test as well!

Back