Cross-section of a 17th-century Pinas by Peter

Me too. It took me almost 20 minutes yesterday to find where I was in the instruction book of my current project after I realized I needed to wait for an order to arrive from Germany...
I am glad you joint the club Paul, and @Jimsky don't worry about the offtopic Jim, live is more than just this crosssection, so just go ahead with everything you want to ask or say :)

After the false start that i made with my crossection, i tried it again, i had one frame of witch i thougt that it was correct, so i made another frame and i fitted them together, partly with a clamp, and i had the same bad result.

DSCN5371.jpg.JPG

As you can see, the frame is incorrct, and verry wobly.
Again i took it a apart, and i cheked everything , and it was al sloppy work from myself.
First of all, When i cleaned the floortimbers and the futtocks, i took some material away, and i accidently changed the shapea bit.
The part of the floortimber that is being glued to the keel, was a bit crooked, it was minimal, but it was about 0,05millimeter on the width of the keel, that is at the end of the floortimber 6 x 0,05 = 0,3 millimeter on either side of the timber so that makes 0,6 millimeter, and the futtocks also had a little bit of difference.
Some difference here and some difference there makes a lot of a differce. in total.
And there is a minor problem with my eyesight, that is not always very good, so when i glued the futtocks to the first floortimbers, there was also a bit of differce.
And that is how i got a wobly frame.

I started all over again, and with a lot more checks. I made two complete new frames, and clamped them to the keel.

DSCN5374.JPG

that looked a lot better, glued together, it looked like this.

DSCN5378.JPG

At the arrow, there is a very smal free space, but this is acceptable for me, it is about 0,3 millimeter.
So now i could continue, and i placed the remaining floortimbers,

DSCN5379.JPG

At the arrow you see the first extra futthock, that had to be replaced straight away, because i broke it ( a bit impacient) during the first session of taking it all apart.

After this i checked if it was a bit straight, and this is how it looks now.

DSCN5382.JPG

All futtocks are resting on the floor,
And now i can continue, and i am verry happy with it.
See you next time , and have a nice weekend for now.

Greetings from the Netherlands

@AnobiumPunctatum

Welcome Cristian, i hope you wil enjoy my efforts in this build. It is a verry nice kit to build .

If you are interested, Matthias, the designer of this cross-section, put his work also on SOS,

Last edited:
After the false start that i made with my crossection, i tried it again, i had one frame of witch i thougt that it was correct, so i made another frame and i fitted them together, partly with a clamp, and i had the same bad result.

View attachment 420813

As you can see, the frame is incorrct, and verry wobly.
Again i took it a apart, and i cheked everything , and it was al sloppy work from myself.
First of all, When i cleaned the floortimbers and the futtocks, i took some material away, and i accidently changed the shapea bit.
The part of the floortimber that is being glued to the keel, was a bit crooked, it was minimal, but it was about 0,05millimeter on the width of the keel, that is at the end of the floortimber 6 x 0,05 = 0,3 millimeter on either side of the timber so that makes 0,6 millimeter, and the futtocks also had a little bit of difference.
Some difference here and some difference there makes a lot of a differce. in total.
And there is a minor problem with my eyesight, that is not always very good, so when i glued the futtocks to the first floortimbers, there was also a bit of differce.
And that is how i got a wobly frame.

I started all over again, and with a lot more checks. I made two complete new frames, and clamped them to the keel.

View attachment 420814

that looked a lot better, glued together, it looked like this.

View attachment 420815

At the arrow, there is a very smal free space, but this is acceptable for me, it is about 0,3 millimeter.
So now i could continue, and i placed the remaining floortimbers,

View attachment 420816

At the arrow you see the first extra futthock, that had to be replaced straight away, because i broke it ( a bit impacient) during the first session of taking it all apart.

After this i checked if it was a bit straight, and this is how it looks now.

View attachment 420817

All futtocks are resting on the floor,
And now i can continue, and i am verry happy with it.
See you next time , and have a nice weekend for now.

Greetings from the Netherlands
The ‘beetle’ now keeps its legs neatly on the ground. The perseverant wins!
(De Aanhouder wint)
Regards, Peter

Last time i had The futtocks resting on the floor, so i went to the next step, placing the Keelson, and the Garboard strakes, and the first part of the Bottomplanking. the arrow is pointing at the Keelson

DSCN5389.jpg.JPGWhile this was drying,
my admiral had to warn our 8 kilogram Ragdoll, because he wanted to have a taste of the floortimbers, on the picture it looks very innocent, but you never can trust him:oops::oops::oops:

DSCN5383.jpg.JPG

DSCN5388.jpg.JPG

The arrow with the letter a shows the Garboard strake, the letter b arrow shows a plank that has to make sure that the model will not skew in the standDSCN5397.jpg.JPG

The triangular trench between the keel and the garboard strak forms the Limber hole.
Water in this trench was pumped to above the waterline where in ran into the sea.

At this moment i am working on the Futtocks again, it is not going very fast, because this time they have to sit perfect, i don't want to redo this redo,
So this time it is check, double-check, and tripple-check.
I also had a bit off delay, because my light-loup said . i don't give any more light. After 9 good working years it went to " Led Heaven".

DSCN5404.jpg.JPG

and for the Spiderman check, i turned it over , so far , so good, spiderman has all paws on the floor, so it is not wobbling like before.

DSCN5402.jpg.JPG

This was it for this update, next time i hope to have all futtocks placed.

Ik wens u heel veel liefde en geluk op je verjaardag. Gelukkige Verjaardag partner! Birthday-Cake Get well soon, Peter!

Sorry to hear that, I hope you all get well soon then.
we will get wel again, it's just annoyng with all that coughing and sneezing thanks for the well wishes.

Ik wens u heel veel liefde en geluk op je verjaardag. Gelukkige Verjaardag partner! Birthday-Cake Get well soon, Peter!
Thank you the birthday and well wishes Jim, we will be wel soon enough

Back