De Zeven Provinciën (Kolderstok) - Maik

Hello Maik! I love your start to this beautiful kit, and that is a clever technique for showing the nailing of the deck. If I may make a small suggestion, especially as you work your way up to more visible decks:

For the layout of your deck planks, locate realistic and probable locations for the underlying beams, and then adopt a 3 or 4 butt shift so that plank butts always land on a beam location. This wouldn’t matter as much, if you weren’t simulating the nailing, however, the nailing draws one’s eye to the fact that there is no underlying logic to the deck “framing”. When one looks across the deck, plank butts should align neatly in a straight line. It’s a small thing, but it makes a big difference.

This deck will be mostly covered, so I don’t think it is necessary to change it, but anyway - food for thought.
It's a good point I hadn't thought about it.
Please note that Dutch ships have absolutely no fixed or regular pattern of deck planking. There are no rules such as a 3-or a 4-butt system that apply.
Fair enough, but there is regular spacing of the deck beams.
I'll keep it in min. My build will definitely not be historically correct, but I'll take all tips I can take.

That said, on the picture below from Blom you can also see the nails on the outer hull of the ship. But I've never see that on any of the Zeven Provinciën I've seen only on the whales. Could anyone give more information on this?

1710011136277.png

The only reason you haven't seen it on model builds is because the modeler has chosen not to show do/show it. On a model like the 7P that is a lot of work, therefore some choose to show it on the wales only - less work and more manageable.

Hi all,

De Zeven Provinciën by Kolderstok, 1:72 scale in oak finish. I've been looking forward to this for a few years now, and it was a nice bonus that I got to experience the current De Zeven Provinciën (Dutch Royal Navy) from top to bottom due to my work. I still have a lot to learn when it comes to model building as this is my fourth ship (San Felipe, La Candelaria, The Endeavour), therefore I am taking my time for this one and I am bound to make mistakes ;) I take my inspiration from other builds of De Zeven Provinciën, for example by Bouke and Arno. I am still debating which colors I will paint the ship.

View attachment 432951

After receiving the package it was time to unbox it and start with the build :)

View attachment 432956

View attachment 432957

I've also decided to add extra ballast to the ship, both because I prefer the ship to feel a bit heavier and because of the single planking of the hull.

View attachment 432958

View attachment 432959

I'm trying to ensure that the added ballast follows the frames as closely as possible, even before I glue it in place. With the Endeavour, I made the mistake of thinking I could easily sand it away. However, this also altered the original shape slightly, causing the back of my Endeavour to no longer be entirely symmetrical.

That's it for now, until next time!
Hi Maik

Welcome to Sos

Wow! I've been looking at getting this kit for a while now and have been unsure as to the quality of parts and instructions.
I m definitely in this one for voyage to see your work and to see if this convinces me to get this kit.

It's a good point I hadn't thought about it.

I'll keep it in min. My build will definitely not be historically correct, but I'll take all tips I can take.

That said, on the picture below from Blom you can also see the nails on the outer hull of the ship. But I've never see that on any of the Zeven Provinciën I've seen only on the whales. Could anyone give more information on this?

View attachment 433816

Somewhere on these drawings you will find that O Blom shows 2 wooden pins and 3 nails per crossing plank/bulkhead. That sums it up to something like 8000 on each side, below the wales only. A solid reason to scratch your head whether you start this or not. Once started there is no way back. An old Dutch saying applies - " bezint eer ge begint".
The 7P kit is 1:72 so on this scale the nailing on itself will be quite a challenge to execute properly.

I've been looking at getting this kit for a while now and have been unsure as to the quality of parts and instructions.
Rob, the quality of Kolderstok kits is among the very best in the business. Instructions are in Dutch, German and English. In addition, the customer service of Hans van Nieuwkoop (the owner) is, in my opinion, the very best in the business. The instructions are perfectly adequate to get the model build whilst the full-sized plans in particular, are extremely detailed.

The treenails would have been there on the real ship. But it is the modeler's choice to include them or not. Speaking from experience - it is a lot of work to include them and no small challenge to present them at the proper scale.
The only reason you haven't seen it on model builds is because the modeler has chosen not to show do/show it. On a model like the 7P that is a lot of work, therefore some choose to show it on the wales only - less work and more manageable.

Thanks both for the response, makes a lot of sense ;)

Somewhere on these drawings you will find that O Blom shows 2 wooden pins and 3 nails per crossing plank/bulkhead. That sums it up to something like 8000 on each side, below the wales only. A solid reason to scratch your head whether you start this or not. Once started there is no way back. An old Dutch saying applies - " bezint eer ge begint".
The 7P kit is 1:72 so on this scale the nailing on itself will be quite a challenge to execute properly.

Very true, I'll probably not do the nails on the hull of the ship. I might only do it on the whales of the ship.

I've been looking at getting this kit for a while now and have been unsure as to the quality of parts and instructions.
Rob, the quality of Kolderstok kits is among the very best in the business. Instructions are in Dutch, German and English. In addition, the customer service of Hans van Nieuwkoop (the owner) is, in my opinion, the very best in the business. The instructions are perfectly adequate to get the model build whilst the full-sized plans in particular, are extremely detailed.
I agree with Heinrich here, the kit is great quality and the service from Hans is excelent. Although the instruction could use more pictures in my opinion, there is enough background information and other build logs. Also, it leaves the builder to do more research into the ship as which most you of will agree with me, is also a fun part of model buidling :)

I agree with Heinrich here, the kit is great quality and the service from Hans is excelent. Although the instruction could use more pictures in my opinion, there is enough background information and other build logs. Also, it leaves the builder to do more research into the ship as which most you of will agree with me, is also a fun part of model buidling :)
Thanks Maik and Heinrich for your reassurance on the quality of the kit and it's instructions.

Hi all,

Here are the next series of pictures.

After deck A was sanded down, I made mounting holes for bolts to secure the ship to the stand that is yet to be build.

35.jpg

29.jpg

Next up was gluing the stern onto the ship and the start of the planking of the hull.

39.jpg

45.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

As can be seen from the last picture the holes for the stand are not fully in the center. This will be fixed when creating the stand itself.
After the first part of the planking was finished the sanding started again. After which I used wood filler to seal the cracks following more sanding.

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

54.jpg

Until the next one!

Hi all,

De Zeven Provinciën by Kolderstok, 1:72 scale in oak finish. I've been looking forward to this for a few years now, and it was a nice bonus that I got to experience the current De Zeven Provinciën (Dutch Royal Navy) from top to bottom due to my work. I still have a lot to learn when it comes to model building as this is my fourth ship (San Felipe, La Candelaria, The Endeavour), therefore I am taking my time for this one and I am bound to make mistakes ;) I take my inspiration from other builds of De Zeven Provinciën, for example by Bouke and Arno. I am still debating which colors I will paint the ship.
After receiving the package it was time to unbox it and start with the build :)

I've also decided to add extra ballast to the ship, both because I prefer the ship to feel a bit heavier and because of the single planking of the hu

I'm trying to ensure that the added ballast follows the frames as closely as possible, even before I glue it in place. With the Endeavour, I made the mistake of thinking I could easily sand it away. However, this also altered the original shape slightly, causing the back of my Endeavour to no longer be entirely symmetrical.

That's it for now, until next time!
Hallo @- Maik -
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back