Blandford Group Build
- Aug 10, 2017
I am glad that worked out well for you, looking forward to seeing the frame on the keel.
Ah, a fellow devotee to the art of details. Love the small details, Dave! Good Job!
HAHA! Never thought I would see this again. I learned this back when I was kid in grammer school. Pretty cool to see someone doing this in modeling.Thanks, Mike!
This is kind of crazy but let me explain what I did to "blacken" the copper bolts in the keel. I first tried "painting the exposed copper with Jax Black and Brass Black. The black residue that formed bled into the surrounding wood and made a mess. I sanded back to bare wood and metal and tried again. I tried painting the copper flat black, but the results were not uniformly round, and the paint looked terrible. Sanded to bare wood and copper again. The I saw something on the internet!
Hard boil, cool and peel 2 eggs. Chop up the eggs and break up the shells and layer them on the bottom of a plastic container with a tight fitting top. Secure the keel to the top with bread bag ties so the part isn't sitting on the eggs. Wait over night. You can see the results in the photo. I did put a coat of poly over the blackening so that I don't damage it or rub it off somehow. The bolts still look like metal - but used and oxidized metal! It's the sulfur in the eggs!View attachment 40939View attachment 40940View attachment 40941