Endurance from Occre by Mallacoota

Pretty regulation start. Number the parts...good numbering on the A3 diagrams. Attach some temporary legs to the keel to stand it in the keel stand. Then fix every second bulkhead first time to allow plenty of room for square holders.

View attachment 367253View attachment 367254

Only the keel itself is MDF and personally I like that because over that length I have often found ply develops a bend very easily. My MS Bluenose had that problem badly.
Attaching every other bulkhead is a brilliant idea. Never thought of that.
Thank you for the new idea.
Terry

Just read back and checked the position of front ladders...oops. They are wrong, thanks for pointing that out. Broke one of the brass ones in removing it and rather than try to repair it I am going to attempt some wooden ones as replacements just for those two amidships. Dont know how they will turn out but can only give it a shot.

The new ladders look great. Maybe too great when compared to the others on the ship? I am terrible at making ladders, so what do I know?!
Thanks Jeff...it was a real pain making them but I had to press on and get something having destroyed one brass one and damaged the other. I will not be in any rush to make more.

These fences are the job from hell...some straightening still needed here..?

View attachment 376153View attachment 376154
Good morning. Tell me about it….trying to keep the stanchions in line and the tension right when doing these is a mission all on its own. I remember on my Victory I had two short areas to make. I used a little PVA glue and water mix on a rope (let it dry straight) to stiffen it first and then threaded it through the stanchions - this help loads. Cheers Grant

Yes Grant...after building about 12 models in as many years with breaks and bursts of activity...I am convinced that the order of doing things is everything. And it is not always the ortder the instructiuons offer... get the order optimised and you really make life as easy as you can. If the instructions are as rubbish as I think Occre ones are for Endurance then you have your work cut out for you.....but it is dead set the no. 1 critical success factor. Thinking ( and reading) ahead as far as possible is key. Having said that, i doubt there is an optimal time to install to Endurance fences, they are challenging. One of those things that you are good at by the time you finish.
Good tip on the rope stiffening... thks... what Victory did you build..? After a Caldercraft Endeavour ( fantastic model) I swore off heavily rigged square riggers...but I know that Victory is lurking there in the background and I will have to confront it at some stage. It is waiting to get me...LOL
So my Endurance fences are pretty rubbish really but I need to move on
Cheers...John

These fences are the job from hell...some straightening still needed here..?

View attachment 376153View attachment 376154
The railing stanchions are probably the most disappointing part of the OcCre Endurance. I tried a bunch of different ideas to replace them by building/soldering something different, but in the end I ended up with the kit stanchions. If money wasn't a concern, I would have replaced them with after market stanchions, but they would have been quite expensive compared to the cost of the kit itself. One of my last steps before completing the model was to the attempt to straighten the stanchions as best I could.

Yes Grant...after building about 12 models in as many years with breaks and bursts of activity...I am convinced that the order of doing things is everything. And it is not always the ortder the instructiuons offer... get the order optimised and you really make life as easy as you can. If the instructions are as rubbish as I think Occre ones are for Endurance then you have your work cut out for you.....but it is dead set the no. 1 critical success factor. Thinking ( and reading) ahead as far as possible is key. Having said that, i doubt there is an optimal time to install to Endurance fences, they are challenging. One of those things that you are good at by the time you finish.
Good tip on the rope stiffening... thks... what Victory did you build..? After a Caldercraft Endeavour ( fantastic model) I swore off heavily rigged square riggers...but I know that Victory is lurking there in the background and I will have to confront it at some stage. It is waiting to get me...LOL
So my Endurance fences are pretty rubbish really but I need to move on
Cheers...John
I suggest getting the lines tied to the eyebolts around the main mast as soon as possible since the more things you add to the ship the harder it is gong to be to reach under the gangways and tie these lines. You may want to rig them from the deck upwards as opposed to tying to the various places on the mast/spars and then down to the deck.

what Victory did you build..?
I'll jump in because Grant is probably too shy to brag. He built GRANT's Victory (inside joke). Check out this magnificent work-in-progress...

7348b793-e2c1-4237-b2c8-16df186ae4d6-jpeg.373140

Jeff...yes. I am thinking the same about replacing them wholesale. Soldering the rear fence was easier than I expected, I am seriously thinking about ripping them out and making copper wire replacements which I can paint. Sorely tempted.

Back