Work continued to complete the bow section. This included adding bollards, and ladders and drilling holes to install the stantions.
View attachment 548768View attachment 548767View attachment 548766
Modification 15: Additional purchased stantions to replace the Occre flat brass stantions and wire were added throughout the rest of the model.
I used historic photos an attempt to replicate the railings on Endurance. The Occre instructions have continuous railings as would be expected nowadays. However health & safety was not as it is now and there are areas where the railings do not appear on the actual Endurance.
View attachment 548774View attachment 548775
View attachment 548776View attachment 548778
Note that the left hand gangway has no handrails as per a historic image. I have also only dry fitted in this image and will not glue in place until I have installed the main mast as it would allow access to tie any running rigging.
One benefit of making wooden stairs meant I could easily create hand rails.
View attachment 548777View attachment 548779Did you notice any design reasoning for leaving of the left gangway handrails by the historical builders? I know that is historically correct, but it would look more symmetrical if they were added. I’m almost tempted to just add them anyway. Like you though I am trying to keep it as close as possible to the photos as I can. I have also replaced most of the fittings with aftermarket parts. I am debating on weather I should use rigging line up on the bow stanchions like in the photos instead of the brass wire I am using everywhere else. I noticed you used the wire… are you happy with that decision? Thanks! You have so many great ideas that I hope you will take as a compliment when I adopt them in sorts on my vessel.