English Cutter Half Hull 1:32 scale by Mike 41 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Doc, I still could simulate caulking in the keel assembly, but I want to keep this build simple to see how it works out. If it goes well, I think a Spanish Galleon half hull with lots of details would be fun.

You are more than welcome to join our little group it would be great to see what you can do with the cutter.

Would that be a Cross Section Half-Hull with cutout? You don’t see many of those around, count me in!

This is a copy of the drawing Ken used to design the build it has three angled lines above the keel, I think the top one or the middle one could be the waterline. What do you think?

cutter.PNG

Hey Mike! Nice work!

Where did you source your Baltic birch plywood?

Is administration planning a group build badge for builders with a log here at SOS?

Hi Doc, If you join the group you will receive a swell new build badge like mine.

WOW GUYS GREAT IDEAS COME ON DOC, WOULD LOVE TO SEE WHAT YOU COME UP WITH NEED COMPANY, HERE YOU ARE RUNNING OUT OF PROJECTS GREAT IDEA MIKE, MINE IS COMIMG ALONG SUPRISEINGLY WELL WILL POST SOME PROGRESS TONIGHT LOVE IT MAKE IT AS SIMPLE OR DETAILKED AS YOU WANT JOIN THE FUN DOC, I GOT MY SUPPLY FROM WOODCRAFT GOT QUITE A FEW VERY LARGE SHEETS GOOD PRICES EXCELLENT QUALITY, LOOKING AT SOME EXOTIC WOODS TO DO THIS HAVE IDEAS, IS PURPLE HEART LIKE ROSEWOOD OR BLOODWOOD NOT BEING ABLE TO TAKE A FINIH OIL ETC. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

I agree the top line is the waterline. The drawing is out of Chapman’s book on navel architecture and the book does not give any more details. I glued the frames in and the pointy end looks good to plank the other end not so much, maybe it will look better tomorrow. I guess we can make the planking look like this.Alert 33.jpg

It looks like we will need a 3D model with frames serrated for the planking to make patterns for the planks if we use clinker planking. This may be too ambitious for a first build of this type of model. Carvel would be a better choice for this project. Maybe we should have all three members vote on the planking type. What are your thoughts?

Mike: Is there any way you could have simulated caulking in the stem sternpost and keel structures for a little more visual interest?

BTW: I’m like a fish eyeing a lure...almost ready to take the bait and start cutting half bulkheads! LOL! ROTFROTFROTFROTF
I decided to use pencil to park the joints. They look really good even with out making imitation bolts.

WELL MY 5 CENTS WORTH MIKE YOU ARE RIGHT FOR A FIRST TIME BUILD I WOULD GO FOR CARAVEL BUT, BUT, BUT THERE IS ABSOLUTLY NO REASON TO DO ANOTHER ONE WITH CLINKER PLANKING AND FRAMES NOTHED, OTHER THINHING CAN BE DONE, BUT I WILL GO WITH THE FLOW JUST MY OPION. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DONC

I did the Hanna from the Nautical Research Guild carvel, so now I was thinking going clinker on this half hull. I was figuring around 16 1/4 inchplanking, actually I haven't done the measuring yet. But, when and if I do since I'm using 1/16 think for planking to make it look right I was going to lay a strip of 1/32 by 1/16 along the top of the strake to push out the bottom of the next plank to make it look right with out redoing the frames. But then it may help next time. Lol

Hi Mike J. using that method of doing clinker planking would be a lot easier than reworking the frames. The addition of the 1/32” x 1/16 strip would not add a lot of time or effort to the build and is great option, it wouldn’t change the basic design so the builder can still go with a carvel planking. It would be very helpful if you start a build log an share your work with the group.

Mike: I'm concerned about how strong the hull is during the fairing process, given plywood bulkheads. Any problems? Should there be blocking between bulkheads, or a groove ploughed through the tops to stabilize them (like the photo below).

14.JPG

Mike: I'm concerned about how strong the hull is during the fairing process, given plywood bulkheads. Any problems? Should there be blocking between bulkheads, or a groove ploughed through the tops to stabilize them (like the photo below).

View attachment 220505

View attachment 220540

Hi Doc, Ken used a different method to stabilize the bulkheads for fairing. He used ¼” thick plywood spacers as shown the 3 View drawing (red rectangles in plan view), when I installed them it made the structure stable. The space between bulkheads is only ¾” so the planking should not be too lumpy. I am adding some balsa filler blocks at the bow and stern.English Cutter rev4_Page_1.png

HI MIKW, HGAVE YOU DECIEDED WHAT TYPE OF PLANKING YOU ARE GOING TO USE, CLINKER OR CARVEL. GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS STAY SAFE DON

Hi Don, I am going to use the clinker style planking, I do not think it will be and more difficult than a carvel planking. Getting the hull properly prepared for the planking will take the most time and effort.

Back