FALKONET LEUDO VINACCERI 1:48

Been away for a couple of weeks so just catching up. I bought the Leudo from Falkonet a couple of months ago and, iterestingly, my little box of parts was smashed and the brass frets were missing. Replacements were promised on 1st September but I'm still waiting as shipping from Russia seems to take ages.

I've completed the hull and deck structures with a few puzzlements/mysteries along the way so I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on. I really want to get all the brass parts done before tackling the masts and rigging but, of course I'm now stuck.

One thing I was surprised by is just how small this model is, it's tiny compared with everything else I've built so far.

@Cankita Hi Cankita. Welcome to the build. A very interesting build so far with plenty of new things that I have not seen or done before. My wife loves this kit and enjoys building it with me (actually she has taken over the build - I just do the donkey work and she does the important stuff ROTF ). I would have preferred a bigger scale - for sure - and have no idea why all the Russia kits are physically so small. I think 1:24 would have been the perfect scale - it would have allowed for some cabin details, the oven in front of the cabin etc.

I agree with Don. Why not start a log. You are ahead of us so we can learn from you!

HI HEINRIECH, I HAD THE SAME QUESTION ABOUT CLAIR, MIKE TOLD ME HE IS DOING SOME HOME RENOVATIONS AND WILL BE BACK POSTING SOON, I AM AWAITING MY SOLDERING IRON(WALL MART) AND TIPS (KOLDESTOCK TO DO THE PLANKING, SO DOING BARRELLS, WILL START OTHER FURNITURE, WILL POST SOME PICTURES ON MY LOG, MSB. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND ANNA DON

@Cankita Hi Cankita. Welcome to the build. A very interesting build so far with plenty of new things that I have not seen or done before. My wife loves this kit and enjoys building it with me (actually she has taken over the build - I just do the donkey work and she does the important stuff ROTF ). I would have preferred a bigger scale - for sure - and have no idea why all the Russia kits are physically so small. I think 1:24 would have been the perfect scale - it would have allowed for some cabin details, the oven in front of the cabin etc.

I agree with Don. Why not start a log. You are ahead of us so we can learn from you!
Hi Heinrich,
These falkonet kits are amazingly detailed, very nice. I would leave this kit to your wife and start yourselve on the Haarlem again :)

@Maarten

@Jimsky

Thank you gentlemen for your comments and suggestions. The Haarlem is fine - she thanks you for your interest. :D Her builder though, needed a slight break in proceedings and a change of scenery. I just started the Falkonet as an interlude to do something else and now it is so nice to be building as a team that I am thoroughly enjoying myself.

These falkonet kits are amazingly detailed, very nice

Yes they are - I think that is why my wife has fallen in love with it. For me - I would have preferred a bigger scale and different subject matter. It is a great experience though, learning a new building method.

Yes they are - I think that is why my wife has fallen in love with it. For me - I would have preferred a bigger scale and different subject matter. It is a great experience though, learning a new building method.
Bigger scale...yea...this is what I am dreaming about for years...but no avail, but still hoping.

@Jimsky Master Korabel seems to be manufacturing the "biggest" kits with their Brigantine Phoenix, Polotsk and Tender Avos. Anna - even - asked me last night what other kits are available that are bigger. I unfortunately had to tell her that in the Falkonet range this is big as it gets.

@Jimsky Master Korabel seems to be manufacturing the "biggest" kits with their Brigantine Phoenix, Polotsk and Tender Avos. Anna - even - asked me last night what other kits are available that are bigger. I unfortunately had to tell her that in the Falkonet range this is big as it gets.
Thanks, Heinrich, Master Korabel specialize on 1:72 scale, including Tender Avos'. It would be nice if they made kits at a larger scale, at least 1:64. Leudo, in fact, is 1:48. Falconet has another model in scale 1:24

It would be a nice kit for Anna, sought it looks simple, it is a challenging kit, and it is a clinker!! ;)

@Jimsky Well the clinker style will certainly make it a challenge. I know about the yawl, but like Piroscaf's 1:24 cutter that Koreets is building, the overall dimensions are still small. In any case - irrespective of the size - these kits are groundbreaking in many ways.

Hello Dear Friends

It is National Day Holidays in China and with a few days off, it was straight to the shipyard. With the planking completed, it was now time to lay the deck into position.

42.jpg
Deck placed and secured with plenty of elastic bands. The fit of the deck was absolutely perfect with no adjustments needed whatsoever.

Next up was a more tricky exercise for which I assumed responsibility - the laying of the keel.

43.jpg
Since the bow and stern pieces are separately glued to the centre keel, I honestly expected that with both points pre-fixed, it would require some juggling to get this into the right position. Not so - the whole assembly fits so snugly onto the false keel that it almost "clicks" into place. I am beginning to love this kit too! :cool:

44.jpg
Deck and keel after all the rubber bands had been removed. Note the "pre-planking" on the deck where demarcations for the final layer of pear wood planking will ensure their best placement. Ingenious indeed!

When it came to laying down the waterways, I believed - that this time - I would have a challenge. After all - taking into account the first layer of planking, a total of 20 planks had been laid on each side and surely there was no way that the waterways would align to the deck and cover the gap between the hull and deck without adjustment.

45.jpg
Well - to keep a short story short ... judge for yourselves. Waterways installed and gap covered. The waterways consist of three separate pieces which make their fitment even more impressive! Well done FalkonetThumbsup

The last step that needs to be done is to lay two planks as wales; then final sanding and then something I cannot wait for ... the first coat of Chinese tung oil!

Stay tuned and keep well - Heinrich

And then just as a quick update. The first layer of Tung Oil is applied - 60% Turpentine; 40% Tung Oil.

WeChat Image_20201001155804.jpg

WeChat Image_20201001155809.jpg

WeChat Image_20201001155757.jpg

Everything of the best until next time.

Kind regards - Heinrich & Anna

Back