FALKONET LEUDO VINACCERI 1:48

HI HEINRICH, AS USUAL AM A LITTLE CONFUSED, THERE ARE 2 DECKS INCLUDED IN THE KIT ONE WITH TREENAILS WHY IS THIS, AND DO YOU HAVE PICTURES OF THE SECOND JIG BEING INSTALLKED, I WILL RESTART MY BUILD WHEN I RECEIVE THE ITEMS THAT I ORDERED SOLDERING IRON AND FITTINGS FOR PLANKING. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

Hi Don. The deck without the treenails is the real deck that goes onto the model. The sheet with the treenailing on is for planking the deck. I have already dry-assembled the second jig and will start fairing the bulkheads tomorrow. Then I will post pictures.

@Uwek Thanks Uwe. I must say the hull has really turned out beautiful. only downside to the tung oil is that it has to sit for a while and penetrate before a sanding and second coat can take place. However, that is a small price to pay for the effect and the protection.

HI HEINRICH, I STILL CAN NOT GET 2 THINGS SET IN MY HEAD, 1 DECK DOES IT GET PLANKED, OR IS THE SECOND DECK LIKE A PATTEREN TO SCORE THE PLANKING, AND 2 THE TOP MEMBERS GOING ONTO THE SECOND JIG HOW DO THEY GO ON THE PART BELOW THE WATERLINE, WITH THE DECK ON CAN NOT FIGURE THIS OUT. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

@Dematosdg Thank you for the kind words Daniel. The deck that you see just has the indicated lines where the actual deck planking needs to go. As I post this, Anna is busy with the deck planking.

Ok, then here goes my next questions. And these questions are to learn how Anna is doing it.

On the Marmara, the instructions claimed to place the deck before planking it. As your kit. When I started to plank the deck I found a BIG issue, at least for me, to do a clean and good finishing at the borders. The deck borders where now against the ribs and the internal wall of the boat (don't remember the name of that "wall", but I am sure you understand what I am talking about). At that point I regretted not doing the planking before allowing me to do a fine, well shaped, finishing at the borders. The deck had pre-cut notchs to fit the deck inside with the ribs fitting inside those notchs. It would have been very easy to shape them again outside of the boat. And then fit the planked deck. The decks on the Marmara had a small curvature. But the planks were so thin that I didn't expect that will affect fitting my decks after planking. Nevertheless I do not know the answer to that because I didn't do job in that way.

So Heinrich (sorry for all the Bla Bla)

a) I am really curious if you have the same issue. Unless the deck isn't glued yet and you can take out for planking.

B) if deck is glued already, I would like to see how Anna is doing the borders of the planks with the deck on place.

I can only imaging shaping each plank border to perfection before gluing it.

Thanks
Daniel
Ps: another idea i just have will be by using a template (cardboard) done from the deck and use it then to shape all the planks borders before gluing to the real deck.

I didn't see that issue on the Marmara, and it was to late.

Last edited:
Hi Don and Daniel: So here goes. The kit supplies two "decks" .

600_0538.jpg

The top one just contains the Pear Wood for the actual planking. The deck at the bottom is the deck that gets installed on the ship.

42.jpg
The bottom deck gets installed. As you can see it is already glued and the elastic bands keep it in position until the glue has dried.

WeChat Image_20201002144722.jpg

Planking starts. As you can see the pre-cut planks line up PERFECTLY with the waterways - and I mean PERFECTLY!

WeChat Image_20201002144728.jpg
Close-up of the alignment of the deck planks.

WeChat Image_20201002144705.jpg
Not yet finished, but I interrupted quickly. There are still 4 planks to go.

WeChat Image_20201002144716.jpg

And as a treat you get to see the Master Planker.

I hope this helps. - Heinrich and Anna

Back