FALKONET LEUDO VINACCERI 1:48

Hello Everyone

We have really made good progress this last week. First the caprail was placed and then it was time to start with the deck fittings:

WeChat Image_20201021084156.jpg
Here the platform for the capstan, the first two deck cleats and the "box" around the mast (I have no idea what this called) have already been placed.

WeChat Image_20201021084043.jpg
All deck fittings completed: these included a further four deck cleats, 4 hooks (which have been blackened) at the four corners of the mast box, the capstan, two hawse holes (not visible), the captain and boatswain's cabin aft, the two loading hatches for the cargo and the hatch for the crew in the bow.

Then a final sanding, my tung oil mixture (30% pure tung oil; 70% mineral turpentine) applied, and now the pictures can do the talking.

WeChat Image_20201021083936.jpg
Port Side showing off my Chinese PVA glue which I have used in all my builds so far - great stuff!

WeChat Image_20201021083912.jpg
Starboard Side.

WeChat Image_20201021083919.jpg
In natural light.

WeChat Image_20201021083941.jpg
Front deck

WeChat Image_20201021083847.jpg
Centre Section

WeChat Image_20201021083858.jpg
Aft Deck

WeChat Image_20201021101353.jpg
Overall view from the stern

And that is my update for now. The Leudo can now take a well-deserved rest while I wait for the tung oil to dry. This can be anything from a week to two weeks - so for now - it's back to the Dutchman (or maybe ... another surprise ...)

Keep well my friends and love every minute of your builds.

Kind regards - Heinrich

Attachments

• WeChat Image_20201021083936.jpg
    WeChat Image_20201021083936.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 8
@Pathfinder65 Good question Jan. I would imagine that all oils are related in some or other way, but the of exact differences I have no idea. I know that Lindseed oil is popular when it comes to rifle stocks, while Danish Oil seems to be popular on the forum. Tung Oil in China comes from peanuts (I believe) and I am fortunate in that I have access to 100% pure Tung oil. But in my case it is heavily diluted with mineral turpentine. I cant wait to get to the point where I can apply it to the Haarlem.

@Pathfinder65 Jan, you are always more than welcome! You are now part of the "Dutch Club"! :cool:The only drawback to the Tung Oil is the drying time - and also make 1000% sure that you have glued everything that needs to be glued first - I have yet to see a glue that adheres to anything that has been covered with the Tung Oil.

@Maarten Thank you very much, Maarten! It has been an enjoyable build so far. My only suggestion to Falkonet is to make it in a bigger scale. Even though it is 1:48, the hull as it stands now is only 295mm long. With a bigger scale super detailing could have gone into it = especially around the rear cabin, the front hatch and an inclusion of the oven (Gnafra).

@Dematosdg Dear Daniel - great to see you back here and thank you for the kind words - this kit is a good reminder that something doesn't have to be a big warship with hundreds of cannons to be challenging and enjoyable - your Marmara is a case in point! What I really enjoy about this kit is that there is nothing monotonous to do - every task is a new challenge.

The possible surprise ... a kit that I find impossible to build. Twice I have tried; twice it has ended up in the dustbin! If I build it again, it will be the THIRD time that I start all over - right from scratch! Call it "MY NEMESIS"!

Back