FALKONET LEUDO VINACCERI 1:48

@Dematosdg At first I was not sure if I liked the pre-cut planks. If anything relating to the curvature of the hull went wrong during the building stage, that would have meant that all these planks would be out of alignment. So, I am relieved to see that they fit so well.

Hello Dear Shipbuilding Friends

So, it is time for my weekly update on the Leudo. With the hull planked and the deck completed, it was now time for what I will believe will be the most challenging part of the build - installing the upper bulwarks.

For this part of the build the second jig is utilised.

WeChat Image_20201008024536.jpg

I made s decision beforehand to do only one side at a time - in this case, the starboard (always my most difficult side) side first. You will notice that there are some missing bulkheads on the port side - I just found it easier to align the hull on the jig without those.

Next up, all the little spars were glued into the square holes on the starboard waterway.

WeChat Image_20201008024523.jpg

The keen observers will notice that there are still two holes without spars. These are of thicker diameter an only get installed after the bulwarks are in place. Just looking at those spars, I had serious doubts as to whether they would provide sufficient rigidity - but with hindsight I need not have worried.

Now the hull gets placed upside down on the jig in the hope that all the spars will align with the corresponding bulkheads.

WeChat Image_20201008024530.jpg

As you can see this turned out to be the case! I have to learn to trust the kit and the construction method! Only the tips of the bulkheads are then glued to the bulkheads. After the planking has been completed, you could simply cut off the little spars and then remove the whole assembly from the jig.

WeChat Image_20201011060849.jpg

And there you are! Bulkheads on the starboard side are installed. Now it's just a case of cleaning off some glue residual and a light sanding.

This whole process will be now be repeated on the Port Side, but that will have to wait until next week.

Thank you all for following and watching - your comments and thoughts are very much appreciated.

Kind regards - Heinrich

@Dematosdg Hello Daniel. Yes, very interesting - and that was the whole point of this build - to learn something completely new and different. The Russian manufacturers - Falkonet, Master Korabel and Piroscaf - all seem to be following the same type of building process.

Hello Dear All

It is time for a brief update.

WeChat Image_20201015072305.jpg
The Port side planking (above the waterline) has been completed. Whilst the build was relatively straightforward, one still has to take care, work slowly and accurately.

WeChat Image_20201015072334.jpg
This also means that the two jigs have served their purpose and can now be relegated to the dustbin.

WeChat Image_20201015072405.jpg
The hole for the bowsprit was made and then cleaning up commenced.

WeChat Image_20201015155253.jpg
On the starboard side the inner railing has been glued in place as well as all the strengthening braces.

Until next time - please take care and let the building continue. Your comments and thoughts are - as always - much appreciated.

Kind regards - Heinrich

@Pathfinder65 Thank you Jan! I am so tempted to hit that deck and bulwarks with the tung oil, but I have to exercise discipline here. There is still a lot of gluing to be done and that is the one thing about tung oil - it doesn't allow any glue bonding PVA.

HI HEINRICH, YOUR BUILD IS MARVOLOUS JELOUS,MINE WILL NOT COME CLOSE, BUT WILL GIVE IT THE BEST SHOT, NOW I AM GETTING BACK TO THE LEUDO, FINISHING UP MY LONG BOAT, (BUILDERS CHOICE BUILD) I HAVE SOME QUESTIONS ON THE FIRST PLANKING SHEET WITCH DIRECTION IS THE BOW, AND I HAVE SOME MORE QUESTIONS ON THE UPPER JIG AND PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST ON MY LOG AT MSB ANYTIME. GOD BLESS YOU AND ANNA STAY SAFE DON

Back