"Flying Cloud " by Mamoli - kit bash

You can fix it Peter. On the bottom of that post you will find an 'edit' button - and then if you click on the three vertical dots next to the paint palate (upper left corner of the box containing the post) you will find a strike-through option...highlight your text and 'un-strike-through'.

Hope this makes sense.
Thanks, Doc. I gave it a try with marginal success. It's kind of moot at this point. Thanks for caring and the advice. I'm learning, if slowly.:rolleyes:

Okay, so after a morning of cussing, cursing and kvetching, this is the modification I came up with. Bowsprit, jibboom and angel reduced in size. The naval hood (mock-up) in place as instructed to provide maximum added strength to the stem-cutwater. looks to me like the figurehead partially covered the lower naval hood which can be physically suggested in the final iteration. Thanks for the persistent insistence. Time to declare victory and move on.
This will make a nice topic of discussion at the next Washington Ship Model Society meeting and newsletter! :D
So, even with its many flaws, my model of the "Flying Cloud" will proudly include this historic feature!Thumbsup
Pete20240627_121141.jpg

Pete,
I appreciate your efforts to replicate Flying Cloud's historically accurate true appearance. On Glory of the Seas the naval hoods extend out just above the anchor hawse hole. You can replicate that by using gold paint to trim the top and bottom of yours to extend it, if you feel up to it. I'm currently drafting a follow up article to the Winter 2023 Nautical Research Journal write-up on our efforts to reconstruct the true appearance of Glory of the Seas. In this second piece I cover the differences between Donald McKay's truly unique bow construction and other clippers which don't incorporate these fascinating structures.

Pete,
I appreciate your efforts to replicate Flying Cloud's historically accurate true appearance. On Glory of the Seas the naval hoods extend out just above the anchor hawse hole. You can replicate that by using gold paint to trim the top and bottom of yours to extend it, if you feel up to it. I'm currently drafting a follow up article to the Winter 2023 Nautical Research Journal write-up on our efforts to reconstruct the true appearance of Glory of the Seas. In this second piece I cover the differences between Donald McKay's truly unique bow construction and other clippers which don't incorporate these fascinating structures.
I'll go back and read the first piece and look forward to the second. I had decided to do exactly as you advise with the gold enhancements. I like the way it works on the "Glory" model. I think the alterations and additions to my model are well worth the time and effort. Thanks again for insisting that I shouldn't settle for less.

Pete

Looking at your splendid drawing and comparing it to the period schematic of the Flying Cloud (speculative as well, no actual drawings or models of the ship by Mckay exist) the stem and cutwater on my model are closer to the more limited dimensions of the schematic, which leaves just enough room for an upper "naval hood" which I have mocked up, but not a lower one. I think the one I have mocked up will work. I don't want to alter the proportions I have to accommodate the lower ornamental element.
I'm glad you like the model. All suggestions are welcome. Plenty of room to improve. I just hope to get a good-looking model out of it and a nod to the Romantic era clippers. Thanks so much for all the interest, research and effort. Thumbsup
Pete

View attachment 455820View attachment 455821
Peter,

The Flying Cloud arrived today in two boxes and an envelope. Wow! Thank you! Everything was in good shape.

Bill

Okay, so after a morning of cussing, cursing and kvetching, this is the modification I came up with. Bowsprit, jibboom and angel reduced in size. The naval hood (mock-up) in place as instructed to provide maximum added strength to the stem-cutwater. looks to me like the figurehead partially covered the lower naval hood which can be physically suggested in the final iteration. Thanks for the persistent insistence. Time to declare victory and move on.
This will make a nice topic of discussion at the next Washington Ship Model Society meeting and newsletter! :D
So, even with its many flaws, my model of the "Flying Cloud" will proudly include this historic feature!Thumbsup
PeteView attachment 456089
Peter,

My wife grew up in College Park, MD. I bounced back and forth between MD and California. It was nice seeing that you are from MD as well.

Bill

My wife went to U.MD for a master's. I was born in D.C. and grew up in Bethesda.
If you've been following, you'll have an inside track on an interesting historic and unique detail of Donald McKay clippers to include on your model. Thumbsup

Pete

My wife went to U.MD for a master's. I was born in D.C. and grew up in Bethesda.
If you've been following, you'll have an inside track on an interesting historic and unique detail of Donald McKay clippers to include on your model. Thumbsup

Pete
I was born at Bethesda Naval Hospital and was stationed there for my first duty station in the Navy. Yes, I have been following very intensely, and I am no stranger to McKay's clippers. It seems that we have much in common except that my wife and I did not earn our college diplomas from UMD. I am very glad to make your acquaintance!

Bill

Likewise, Bill, be sure to make note of Rich Jones' (aka Clipperfan) contributions to this discussion when embarking on your model project He has much to offer to ensure you can build a well-researched, faithful model of the "Flying Cloud".
My wife is from West Hartford and my mom was from New Haven. So, we share some Connecticut Yankee influence.
My dad went to Yale. Me? U. Of Miami, Fla.:cool: Thumbsup Five years of balmy sunny south Fla. before reality set in.:rolleyes:
Attatched are the rudimentary beginnings of the deck houses20240628_190030.jpg20240628_190044.jpg20240625_172218.jpg20240625_172210.jpg

Pete

Likewise, Bill, be sure to make note of Rich Jones' (aka Clipperfan) contributions to this discussion when embarking on your model project He has much to offer to ensure you can build a well-researched, faithful model of the "Flying Cloud".
My wife is from West Hartford and my mom was from New Haven. So, we share some Connecticut Yankee influence.
My dad went to Yale. Me? U. Of Miami, Fla.:cool: Thumbsup Five years of balmy sunny south Fla. before reality set in.:rolleyes:
Attatched are the rudimentary beginnings of the deck housesView attachment 456378View attachment 456379View attachment 456380View attachment 456381

Pete
Incredible! I earned my BS from SUNY. Albany, my MA from Trinity College in Hartford, My MS from University of New Haven, and my Ph.D. from UCONN.

Bill

Pete and Bill,
Small world indeed. I actually live with my wife and son in Torrington, CT. Bill when you build your Flying Cloud model, I encourage you to look at Pete's post #211 where I shared significant newly discovered information which dramatically affects the appearance of Flying Cloud for the better. It turns out she had a far more lovely yacht like bow than previously expected. In order to incorporate these features though, you'll need to scratch build a sleeker cutwater to accomodate her winged angel figurehead. My conjectural angel figurehead is based on a famous poster which features an illustration of her.

ClipperFan,

It's my pleasure to "meet" you. Yes, I will certainly read Pete's post #211, as I will read everything I can about this magnificent ship and study any paintings and photos. Thanks for your kind recommendation!

Bill

ClipperFan,

It's my pleasure to "meet" you. Yes, I will certainly read Pete's post #211, as I will read everything I can about this magnificent ship and study any paintings and photos. Thanks for your kind recommendation!

Bill
@WilliamM Bill, it's nice to meet you too. If you want a real treat, look up Rob Wiederrich's magnificent 1:96th scale McKay clipper Glory of the Seas model build. He has many pictures of his finished model on this site. A more in-depth build log can be found on Model Ship World. I, Rob and Vladimir Wairoa spent about 2 fascinating years carefully evaluating every inch of this incredible vessel. This research led to direct involvement by author Michael Mjelde who has written 3 books on the subject. He generously shared his 60 years of rare images and documents with us. While she's not Flying Cloud she's the last clipper built by Donald McKay and she's a treasure trove of information on McKay's ornate style too. Anything I can do to be of assistance, just let me know

Back