"Flying Cloud " by Mamoli - kit bash

Thanks, Rob. Although my collaboration with Rich is serendipitous, my model is the better for it. Such a collaboration right out of the box (so to speak) will, no doubt, have spectacular results and I hope to follow the progress on this forum. I'm not on Model Ship World. I spend too much time on this forum already.
Thanks for the compliment!

Pete

Thanks, Rob. Although my collaboration with Rich is serendipitous, my model is the better for it. Such a collaboration right out of the box (so to speak) will, no doubt, have spectacular results and I hope to follow the progress on this forum. I'm not on Model Ship World. I spend too much time on this forum already.
Thanks for the compliment!

Pete
I know how that works. I'm active on plenty of sites myself. I appreciate how you are willing to readdress some aspects of your model, in hopes of making her better than the manufacture had provided. Your construction is moving along nicely...and to be honest, I'm glad there are more clipper enthusiasts on these pages.

I'll be watching and contributing if permissible.

Rob

Just curious. I found the Flying Cloud plans developed by Scott Bradner. They appear to be a very complete and nice set of plans. Would you consider them to be an accurate representation of the Flying Cloud. He has put them out there for anyone to use.

Bill
I'm just curious now . . . where did you find these plans?

Bill

Online at SOBCO server. Or Flying Cloud plans by Scott Bradner.
I know how that works. I'm active on plenty of sites myself. I appreciate how you are willing to readdress some aspects of your model, in hopes of making her better than the manufacture had provided. Your construction is moving along nicely...and to be honest, I'm glad there are more clipper enthusiasts on these pages.

I'll be watching and contributing if permissible.

Rob
Please do. Much appreciated.

I found them.......

Rob
IT'S ALWAYS NICE TO FIND RELATIVELY GOOD DRAWINGS AFTER THE FACT.......:confused:

I have this methodology about my selection of models to build. First...I like tackling models that have never or rarely been built. I prefer to build vessels that have a distinct historical significance. Lastly...since building models of any particular vessel is solely a personal decision, I have chosen my primary choices to be McKay's First entry into the Frey of Fast clippers (Staghound). His last, which he had hoped would save his career (Glory of the Seas)(Finished)...and the Largest clipper ever made(That he built on his own accord), (Great Republic)(Finished). Personally, I feel these three, round out the unique qualities McKay was aiming for in the clipper Model of vessels. He was always trying to improve the model.

Note to reader: As is in all things......your mileage may very.

Rob

IT'S ALWAYS NICE TO FIND RELATIVELY GOOD DRAWINGS AFTER THE FACT.......:confused:

I have this methodology about my selection of models to build. First...I like tackling models that have never or rarely been built. I prefer to build vessels that have a distinct historical significance. Lastly...since building models of any particular vessel is solely a personal decision, I have chosen my primary choices to be McKay's First entry into the Frey of Fast clippers (Staghound). His last, which he had hoped would save his career (Glory of the Seas)(Finished)...and the Largest clipper ever made(That he built on his own accord), (Great Republic)(Finished). Personally, I feel these three, round out the unique qualities McKay was aiming for in the clipper Model of vessels. He was always trying to improve the model.

Rob
That is a nice summation of that particular history.

Bill

A few pics of recent beginnings of alterations and replacing the broken jibboom. This time out of boxwood (less fragile). Dry fitted in place with a little shim to raise it in relation to the splash rail which will get a little addition above the molding to facilitate fairleads for the mooring hawse cables and raise it slightly above the addition of a pin rail at the bow. The fore castle deck stripped of its iron bollards and chocks. The coach house stripped of its doors in preparation of fabricating a facade more in line with Rich's drawing. 20240715_134133.jpg20240715_134008.jpg20240715_134105.jpg20240715_160913.jpg20240715_160958.jpgRe-painting of the outside of the upper bulwark and outer splash rail surface has begun.
Adding to the spray rail will raise it above the jibboom a little more than I'd like but the shim between the jibboom and bowsprit will split the difference and will bring the overall proportions closer in focus with the desired overall effect. (He said,.. confidently.:rolleyes:)

Another possibility is to cut the fairleads into the splash rail as is and simply add the pin rail level with its top edge. A little compromise with literal correctness will have to suffice either way. I'll go with what seems most pleasing to the eye. Thoughts? (Outside of major surgery.):cool:

Rob
My choice of the " Flying Cloud" lies deeply rooted in the mists of a romantic notion of that ship formed somewhere in early childhood. The 82 day record had that suggestion of a cinematic adventure, in Cinemascope, Technicolor, 3hrs. with a 15-minute intermission, and a lush, romantic, full orchestral soundtrack. Maybe with Gregory Peck as the captain, Maureen O'Hara as the real hero, his wife.

Last edited:
Sounds like Horacio Hornblower .

Yeah…..after you read that book I suggested, your connection will be deeper.

Back