"Flying Cloud " by Mamoli - kit bash

About half way through re-doing the facade of the coach house using ClipperFan's (aka Rich) drawing, which, when I printed it out (as luck would have it) was exactly to 1:96 scale. (Better to be lucky than good!) That, a light box for tracing, some small scale graph paper, A reeeealy sharp 6H pencil, a variety of chisels and gouges with the proper widths and curves (much more accurate and easier to control than an X-acto knife), a glue stick, a lick of paint and we're off!

About half way through re-doing the facade of the coach house using ClipperFan's (aka Rich) drawing, which, when I printed it out (as luck would have it) was exactly to 1:96 scale. (Better to be lucky than good!) That, a light box for tracing, some small scale graph paper, A reeeealy sharp 6H pencil, a variety of chisels and gouges with the proper widths and curves (much more accurate and easier to control than an X-acto knife), a glue stick, a lick of paint and we're off!
Oops. (Don't press "Post" before attaching files... :rolleyes: 20240719_162758.jpg20240719_150901.jpg20240719_152928.jpg20240719_154416.jpg20240719_150838.jpg20240719_155721.jpg20240719_160528.jpg20240719_160417 (1).jpg To be continued...

I wish that I could purchase this kit. However, I spent $359.00 on the Bluejacket fittings for the Flying Cloud. I was merely letting the both of you know about this excellent price on another McKay clipper.

Bill

Progress of late: Repainted white areas black. All black hull, McKay style.
Replaced Jibboom, black to cap, wood finish forward.
I decided to make the pin rail shelf into a breasthook and not extend it fully. This satisfies the appearance of a pin rail shelf as per McKay's taste, but allowed me to circumvent major surgery. A compromise that is believable with no hard evidence to the contrary.
The template for the breasthook
bending iron and shaped upper spray rail elements
prep for bowsprit (aka knighthead) bitts
breast hook
Inletting holes in deck for knightheads
Forecastle deck with spray rail, hawse fairleads, breasthook and knightheads
profile with all black hull
re-configured forecastle deckView attachment 459890View attachment 459891View attachment 459892View attachment 459893View attachment 459895View attachment 459896View attachment 459897View attachment 459898View attachment 459899View attachment 459900View attachment 459901View attachment 459902
Peter,
I echo Rob's sentiment. Well done indeed! I didn't think an all black hull would be so dramatically different but it really does, (as Rob so eloquently said) pop! I love the graceful yacht like appearance of your Flying Cloud prow. It's lovely how the white trumpet bearing angel contrasts so graciously against the gold embellishment on black background. Then the all black inner jibboom, bowsprit combination really ties her bow together nicely. She's really starting to be very reminiscent of the famous Currier print. I look forward to seeing your aft portico treatment.

Thanks, everybody, your constructive criticism, encouragement and enthusiasm go a long way to producing a better model Thumbsup
Pete
Pete, in my enthusiasm for your revised all black hull, which really looks sharp, I forgot to acknowledge the authenticity of both your fairlead and internal rework of your forecastle. Well done, sir! Your Flying Cloud is looking better (and more authentic) than ever!! One other item to remember, McKay and other builders put fancy engraved billetheads (for lack of a better term) on both ends of their rear houses.

I believe you are referring to the corbels on either side of the cabin front, supporting the corners of the roof overhang. I have made them already. They will be the last thing to go on. They are roughly equivalent to "knees" in their structural purpose. Although here they are more decorative. Mine are mahogany. A bit too tiny to engrave. :rolleyes:

I believe you are referring to the corbels on either side of the cabin front, supporting the corners of the roof overhang. I have made them already. They will be the last thing to go on. They are roughly equivalent to "knees" in their structural purpose. Although here they are more decorative. Mine are mahogany. A bit too tiny to engrave. :rolleyes:
Pete,
"Corbels" ahh... you learn something new every day. On larger houses, I believe it was support for the roof which would be used as another deck.

Finished coach house facade.
Extrapolated from Rich's "Glory of the Seas" poop house drawing. Side windows yet to come. The house is still removable and can be further detailed. Suggestions?

20240719_162758 (1).jpg20240720_092600.jpg20240720_092542.jpg20240720_092643.jpg20240720_093000.jpg20240720_092816.jpg

Extrapolated from Rich's "Glory of the Seas" poop house drawing. Side windows yet to come. The house is still removable and can be further detailed. Suggestions?

View attachment 459997View attachment 459998View attachment 459999View attachment 460000View attachment 460002View attachment 460005

View attachment 459997View attachment 459998View attachment 459999View attachment 460000View attachment 460002View attachment 460005
Pete,
That looks spot on! I just want to give credit where credit is due. The front fascia sketch you used is actually by author Michael Mjelde. My work is the "Glory of the Seas, Boston" stern lettering. I've attached a sketch I did of small rectangular windows on the side of the Glory of the Seas coach house. You'll have to decide if this works for you.

20240707_193530.jpg

Do you guys, in your archive of things Donald McKay, have any good views of the main deck house and other hatches? It would be nice to carry through on the authenticity of the look of those that are peculiar to Mckay's tastes.

Pete,
That looks spot on! I just want to give credit where credit is due. The front fascia sketch you used is actually by author Michael Mjelde. My work is the "Glory of the Seas, Boston" stern lettering. I've attached a sketch I did of small rectangular windows on the side of the Glory of the Seas coach house. You'll have to decide if this works for you.

View attachment 460048
Very helpful, along with anything else of that nature you can provide. Too bad the carvings on the sides of the corbels are too small for me to reproduce,
The look of my model is significantly profiting from your recommended alterations. I finally feel happy and confident in its progress and like the look of it. Thumbsup

Pete
It's a relief to know you appreciate my input. Figuring you eventually plan to rig her, here's another pitfall to avoid. Lubber holes on most kit plans I've seen are not long enough. Rob & Vlad both learned this by first hand observation, again of rare images of the underside of Glory of the Seas mast tops. It will actually make it easier to rig your shrouds when it comes to that point.

All rare scenes courtesy of Michael Mjelde. Note: in the last 2 images the first object isn't a mast, it's actually a large exhaust pipe due to her conversion to a floating salmon processing factory.

Last edited:
I'd already made note of solid tops, larger lubber holes. Some clipper tops included fairlead holes for running rigging. McKay ships?
Definitely easier to rig with larger lubber holes.
The input is definitely helpful. Especially before the fact.

Last edited:
Back