"Flying Cloud " by Mamoli - kit bash

Don't underestimate the joy of copper plating a hull, Pete! ;)

Also, I would not use the masking tape as a way to practice. The stickiness is different, as is the thickness. No other way to express that thought. I certainly wouldn't practice with it on the hull. And, as you could see from the plating I did, the plates don't hide the quality of the surface they lie on. I'm sure your meticulous work on the substrate will give you the great foundation for plating that I never achieved.:)
Thanks for the heads up I'll endeavor not to get lazy with the filling and fairing!

Hello Peter,

While I have failed to linger over your build report in a way that it deserves - I did not miss that you and you wife face some challenges ahead. This is the time to bless her with the fullness of your love.

Grace and peace.
Thanks ever so much for your understanding. It's easy to be overcome with fear and anticipation. We are definitely on a day at a time basis and basking in having first found each other, in the appreciation of having had each other for45 years and, above all, in the present.
If grace is the blessing you did not earn or deserve, then my wife is the very embodiment of it. There is peace in that understanding.

After hours n' hours of three steps forward, two steps back, I thought I'd catch up on my "Flying Cloud" build log.
A word: If you want to build this ship, start from scratch with BlueJacket plans (or kit from Ebay) or A. J. Fisher plans. The Mamoli bulkheads are too few and far between as well as misshapen. The design is full of booby traps, even for the most ardent of kit bashers. I have spent an inordinate number of hours correcting and compensating for poorly executed product design. It's endless. I have had an old Bluejacket hull in my stash for years. I wish I had started with that. :mad:View attachment 423865View attachment 423866View attachment 423867View attachment 423868View attachment 423869View attachment 423877View attachment 423878View attachment 423879View attachment 423880View attachment 423881View attachment 423882View attachment 423883View attachment 423884View attachment 423885View attachment 423886

View attachment 423888

View attachment 423889

View attachment 423890
Hallo @Peter Gutterman
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Enjoy your special day

Happy Birthday @Peter Gutterman Peter! May the Lord bless you with a wonderful year ahead with your loved ones and all in good health!
What a lovely blessing. The same to you Heinrich and to all the wonderful artists and crafts people I have had the privilege of interacting with around the world thanks to this platform.

Best wishes and gratitude to all, Pete

Happy birthday Peter.
I just now came across your build.
Very impressive and beautiful progress.
I'm waiting to to see the ship fully planked

Cheers
Guy
Many thanks to you Sevish. I wish you, your land and countrymen the blessings of peace, security and harmony in a part of the world that has been bereft of those blessings for so long, where everyone may worship as they so choose, free from fear and anxiety.
As for seeing my model planked and clad in copper, so do I! Slowly but surely, Plank by plank and plate by plate. Thanks for the encouragement. I value it very highly, considering the source, having followed your own impressive work!
I'll post some more pics when my progress warrants it.

Thanks again, Pete

Many thanks to you Sevish. I wish you, your land and countrymen the blessings of peace, security and harmony in a part of the world that has been bereft of those blessings for so long, where everyone may worship as they so choose, free from fear and anxiety.
As for seeing my model planked and clad in copper, so do I! Slowly but surely, Plank by plank and plate by plate. Thanks for the encouragement. I value it very highly, considering the source, having followed your own impressive work!
I'll post some more pics when my progress warrants it.

Thanks again, Pete
Thank you very for your kind words

Pete! You done with plating that hull!?!?! :D

Hope all's going well my friend!

Blessings.
Chuck
Still pickin' away at it. slow as snake s**+. Tedious as can possibly be. But I don't want to rush it, or I'll end up having to re-do. And I REALLY re-don't want to Exclamation-Mark
I'll post pictures when there's something worth lookin' at.
Blessings to you too!
Pete

Back