"Flying Cloud " by Mamoli - kit bash

Details for the coach house-portico.
I painted the fire buckets all black first, then brown over that, leaving just the black for the bands. Believe it or not it's easier to paint it that way at these small scales. I used the hot bending drum to shape the railing to match the curve of the portico roof. The railings are yew wood that I had left over from my Britannia project. Yew has a really nice rich sienna color when finished with amber shellac. I then added the sills finishing the edge of the deck.
The portico is still just dry-fitted.View attachment 476357View attachment 476358View attachment 476359View attachment 476360View attachment 476362View attachment 476363View attachment 476364View attachment 476372View attachment 476378View attachment 476379View attachment 476380View attachment 476381View attachment 476382View attachment 476383View attachment 476384
A nice looking structure Peter!

Peter,
I agree with Rob's philosophy of keeping everything to scale, as much as realistically possible. Details such as siezing and wrapping lines while technically accurate may end up looking too big and out of scale. From observing both Vladimir's and Rob's builds, I can say they both do a masterful job in keeping proportions and specifics to scale. Vlad does go into finer details but at 1:72nd VZscale he has more leeway than does Rob at 1:96th scale. Ironically, both chose the scales they work in for that reason. Vlad wants more liberty to show details while Rob doesn't want the added burden of having to get into such minutia .
A nice looking structure Peter!
Peter,
Those miniature buckets look like the real thing. I applaud your addition of safety rails around the portico. Your forecastle and poop deck windows look really nice too. Your Flying Cloud is turning out to be quite distinctive.

Vlad does go into finer details but at 1:72nd VZscale he has more leeway than does Rob at 1:96th scale. Ironically, both chose the scales they work in for that reason. Vlad wants more liberty to show details while Rob doesn't want the added burden of having to get into such minutia .
We’ll , I slightly disagree with the terms you use, such as, “ finer details” and, “wants more liberty”. I skip no details, however, if you are focused on Vlad using proper knots on rat lines and stays as finer details, then I disagree. What benefit is in tying half hitches at 1/96 scale, when. The time spent will never be recognized…..it’s so small. Blocks such as sheet and gin are much easier to make at 1/72 then at 1/96. I do not skip the detail……I adjust it because it’s proper construction at such a small scale is daunting for the most discriminating builder. I skip no detail and am burdened by the fabrication of none. Clearly, I simply do not have room for a 1/72 scale model….. that alone is why I do not build in that scale.

I want a fleet of clippers not just one. ❤️

Rob

We’ll , I slightly disagree with the terms you use, such as, “ finer details” and, “wants more liberty”. I skip no details, however, if you are focused on Vlad using proper knots on rat lines and stays as finer details, then I disagree. What benefit is in tying half hitches at 1/96 scale, when. The time spent will never be recognized…..it’s so small. Blocks such as sheet and gin are much easier to make at 1/72 then at 1/96. I do not skip the detail……I adjust it because it’s proper construction at such a small scale is daunting for the most discriminating builder. I skip no detail and am burdened by the fabrication of none. Clearly, I simply do not have room for a 1/72 scale model….. that alone is why I do not build in that scale.

Rob
Rob,
Actually, the specific details I was thinking about was the fact that Vlad was able to make miniature Howe's cranes and other attachments that allowed his yards to fully articulate like on a real ship. I meant no slight to you by referring to a 1:96th scale ship as having less detail or even implying you were leaving things off. I was simply referring to statements you and Vlad made about your different scale choices. You went to extraordinary detail in your Glory build. I haven't had a chance to look at your Great Republic but suspect if I did, I'd see the same devotion to accuracy too. You saw my 2nd article. I believe that shows how much respect I have for your creativity and resourcefulness.

Rob
I'd like another twenty tears to build the fleet and work the details out! ;)

Rob,
I'm down with it! Probably the most fascinating deck structure design is the Donald McKay. Entrance to her aft Dining Salon is a partial circle of glass enclosed doors, with sufficient overhang above to provide shelter. It sounds to me like the sole gangway might have also originated aft as a larger partial circle which then extended through the main mast to the fore house.

Rob,
Actually, the specific details I was thinking about was the fact that Vlad was able to make miniature Howe's cranes and other attachments that allowed his yards to fully articulate like on a real ship. I meant no slight to you by referring to a 1:96th scale ship as having less detail or even implying you were leaving things off. I was simply referring to statements you and Vlad made about your different scale choices. You went to extraordinary detail in your Glory build. I haven't had a chance to look at your Great Republic but suspect if I did, I'd see the same devotion to accuracy too. You saw my 2nd article. I believe that shows how much respect I have for your creativity and resourcefulness.
I wasn't criticizing your observations Rich....I was clarifying. And for the record....all of my trucks and cranes were all fully functional. I simply placed them in the desired latitude , then glued them there. since they were not going to move since all the braces were fixed......plus it kept the yard steady as I rigged it. Full functionality is a mute point on a static model. If all the yards are wobbling about, due to their mobility....the effects of gravity would not be significant, when setting lifts, braces or bunt lines....not to mention sheets. A secure yard makes bilateral rigging far more achievable, and reduces continual adjustments to compensate for previous maladjustments .

I figured clarity was in order.....not for criticism, but for the benefit of the reader to fully understand, I left no detail unrealized, cept for making alterations for scale practicalities. I'm all good...no offence was taken, just as no offence was given.Thumbs-Up;)

Rob

I chose 1/96, because of the achievable detail and for the practicalities of size and available space.. I strayed from this position with the Great Republic and built her in 1/128. If I had stuck to 1/96, she would have been almost 5ft long. Who has room for THAT!

Rob

Rob,
I'm down with it! Probably the most fascinating deck structure design is the Donald McKay. Entrance to her aft Dining Salon is a partial circle of glass enclosed doors, with sufficient overhang above to provide shelter. It sounds to me like the sole gangway might have also originated aft as a larger partial circle which then extended through the main mast to the fore house.
That particular design feature was one strong reason I began to build the Donald McKay. The Lightning....also retained 2 catwalks....she had so many unique design features for a clipper. After the burning of the Great Republic...she represented the height of McKay's nautical engineering.

Rob

I haven't had a chance to look at your Great Republic but suspect if I did, I'd see the same devotion to accuracy too
When building in smaller scales, one must learn the art of camouflage and redirection. Like with Glory of the Seas, I chose not to include the yard jackstays. In Glory's situation...they were simply hidden by the furled sails. No need to include something that was going to be hidden anyway. The same was true, with the Great Republic....cept I cover the jackstays with the heads of sails. A detail that goes unnoticed, because your eye is redirected to the details found in the sails themselves. I'm not a wood ship modeling purist. Never have been. So that freedom permits me to make it up as I go. Cept for the facts....they're in stone.

Find some time to doodle around that build log and you will see some of the same practices I used on Glory....and some I created for the job at hand.:cool:

Rob

I've done a couple of restorations of models in excess of fifty-three or four inches overall. They were monsters to move around and then to deliver once finished and encased, the display cases literally having to be built around the ship. I had to use a step ladder in order to work on the upper reaches of the rig. A lot of strain on my muscles, back and very flat feet!:eek:

I've done a couple of restorations of models in excess of fifty-three or four inches overall. They were monsters to move around and then to deliver once finished and encased, the display cases literally having to be built around the ship. I had to use a step ladder in order to work on the upper reaches of the rig. A lot of strain on my muscles, back and very flat feet!:eek:
Yeah...I love large models...but not too practice for the common home. Unless you own a mansion and have space.

Rob

Rob, I love the sails on your "Great Republic" how did you make them? What material?
They are made from common plain copy paper. Nothing special. It is all the work up, that makes them what they are. Panel lines, top, belly and fall bands, leach lines and clew points. I first print the panel lines, then cut to desired shape. Add the banding, then using a ball shaper, I form the billow in the sail. I created an embossing tool to imprint stretch/ fold lines on the clew corners. Then I lightly paint the sail. some are painted slightly different colors to mimic different aged sails.

Rob

Would you be so kind as to post pics of the tools involved, especially the custom made? Also, what paint, and painting technique. Your custom techniques produce some excellent solutions with wonderful results. Thumbsup

Pete

We’ll I broke my custom embosser, but it was simply two pieces of thin wood with wire glued to them, and when pressed together the imprinted a seamed corner on the sail. I don’t know where it went, but I’m making a new and improved one for the Staghound sails.

We’ll I start off with a piece of printed paper.

A0618F61-BD57-45F2-B968-A7B4FE3BDD04.jpeg

Back