Fokker Spin III, scale 1:48, scratch build [COMPLETED BUILD]

but I am somewhat disappointed by the lack of load capability
Indeed it’s fragile, Johan. But what’s the weight of the wing-tissues? One rib can have a very little. But 20x a very little?
I think it’s more the pressure of your tweezers when putting the stuff on them.
It’s a bit the same with my planking on the frames. Every single frame has flex, but divided over 11 the pressure is divided.
Fingers crossed!
Regards, Peter

Perhaps an overcoating of a 2-component epoxy at the joints?

By the way I like your new avatar.
Indeed it’s fragile, Johan. But what’s the weight of the wing-tissues? One rib can have a very little. But 20x a very little?
I think it’s more the pressure of your tweezers when putting the stuff on them.
It’s a bit the same with my planking on the frames. Every single frame has flex, but divided over 11 the pressure is divided.
Fingers crossed!
Regards, Peter

Thanks for your advice/inputs.
I guess Peter is right; my fingers and handling of the tweezers is putting way more load on the wing than it’ll ever see once completed. Still it is quite a nuisance and also it’s filling my swear jars at an alarming rate…

No pictorial evidence of progress this time, although, progress…
I added the trailing edge to both wing halves. It was formed by the infamous Serafil thread. I made the mistake by applying a plain knot at every rib/TE intersection. That didn’t give a satisfactory result; the TE became very wavy and was not what I was looking for. So that meant removal of the Serafil thread, which in turn led to the disbonding of six of the ribs and deformation of the rear spar. Luckily it was for one wing half only. On the other wing half I tried to tie the thread to the root- and end rib only and applied a tiny drop of CA on the other rib/TE intersections, giving a very much improved overall appearance.

That's looking nice, Johan. Great pictures with all those tiny serafil lines!
Regards, Peter
That Serafil stuff is great to emphasize the scale of this little one. I also used it on my Bluenose with great effect.
And a big thank you for the benevolent giver.

Propeller looks good Johan, looking from the pilot's seat does the propeller turn clockwise?
The prop turns clockwise, as seen from the pilots position.
I am considering a redo though on the prop; it shows about right from a distance, but it needs to be more realistic.

Fantastic looking result! Wow!
Very impressive, looks absolutely beautiful.
That’s looking great, Johan.
Regards, Peter
Thanks gentlemen!
Unfortunately I wasn’t really too happy with the results and decided to redo the wing covering. Since the tissue was treated with water diluted adhesive and topcoat, what could go wrong, right? Well, apparently a lot. Sick The adherence of the tissue to the frame was a lot better than I thought, as was the strength of the tissue itself.
So I ended up with a pile of parts, the wing is not designed to withstand my handling loads; on the left in the picture below the rescued left wing half and on the right the demolished right wing half. Now clean up time and see what’s useable. The still intact wing half will be “use-as-is”, regardless of the possible improvement areas.

IMG_2053.jpeg

Thanks gentlemen!
Unfortunately I wasn’t really too happy with the results and decided to redo the wing covering. Since the tissue was treated with water diluted adhesive and topcoat, what could go wrong, right? Well, apparently a lot. Sick The adherence of the tissue to the frame was a lot better than I thought, as was the strength of the tissue itself.
So I ended up with a pile of parts, the wing is not designed to withstand my handling loads; on the left in the picture below the rescued left wing half and on the right the demolished right wing half. Now clean up time and see what’s useable. The still intact wing half will be “use-as-is”, regardless of the possible improvement areas.

View attachment 455989
Swallow a few times, put a few coins in the jar and keep going, Johan. You are already so far …. and unfortunately a experiment can go wrong.
Regards, Peter

Back