Fokker Spin III, scale 1:48, scratch build [COMPLETED BUILD]

I have to say that’s a nice upgrade on the engine. Well done!
Thanks, Paul.
Not out of the woods yet, but it starts to look like something.
The only thing I have to work from are some pictures of very early Argus aero engines and some drawings,severely lacking in details. Not helping is the scale. I assumed 1:48 would be a huge improvement over the 1:72 of my BN build, but that apparently was somewhat overly optimistic...

I assumed 1:48 would be a huge improvement over the 1:72 of my BN build
Of course I'm still pretty new at this game but in my limited experience I would say that 1:48 should be easier than 1:72 RIGHT UP UNTIL you try to add details at 1:48 you would never consider at 1:72. That is, a 1:48 model built to 1:72 specs should be easier - but we don't build like that - now we try to include more and more and more and suddenly you're trying to build a tiny engine out of yard scraps...

On the modelsday we have every year, I'm always looking with big eyes to the bottle ships of.... don't know his name. Those tiny details he can make, just like our shipmodels but then not bigger then a few cm. Every year he show us what he makes. So we must not complain to what he makes.

Last edited:
On the modeshow we have every year, I'm always looking with big eyes to the bottleneck ships of.... don't know his name. Those tiny details he can make, just like our shipmodels but then not bigger then a few cm. Every year he show us what he makes. So we must not complain to what he makes.
I don't even want to think about it... Admittedly, I was pushing my limits with my BN build and now I find myself pushing the boundaries again. I guess I shouldn't visit SOS as much as I do; way to many geniuses showing how it's done.

Just saw this build log and the superb engine you created with little info and a few grainy pictures.

I'm hooked and subscribed to follow the rest of this build. I'm sure it will be spectacular, and a few more of your interesting techniques will be revealed!!

Thanks for sharing!!
Thanks for joining me on this journey, Brad. There are many interesting challenges ahead.

A few details were added, namely the rocker arms and the push rods.
I realized that simulating the rocker arms on this scale yields a rather unrealistic result.

Below a temporary installation on the fuselage frame, just to get an idea of how the engine looks, when installed.
IMG_1902.jpeg

A few details were added, namely the rocker arms and the push rods.
I realized that simulating the rocker arms on this scale yields a rather unrealistic result.

Below a temporary installation on the fuselage frame, just to get an idea of how the engine looks, when installed.
View attachment 448324
I googled the Argus Engine yesterday. And for me the rocker arms are now problems at all, Johan. I think the problem will be to find some material as tiny as it is related in scale. Some smallest needle pins of your Admiral? Or are they already made of them?
Regards, Peter

Back