Fokker Spin III, scale 1:48, scratch build

I googled the Argus Engine yesterday. And for me the rocker arms are now problems at all, Johan. I think the problem will be to find some material as tiny as it is related in scale. Some smallest needle pins of your Admiral? Or are they already made of them?
Regards, Peter
I tried to use 0,5mm dia brass, but that doesn't give me a positive fixation possibility. I tried evergreen strip, square 1mm, didn't work, eventually I used 1,2mm wide brass strips, and drilled holes 1,0mm and 0,5mm to align the valve stems, the rocker bolts and the push rods. Given a pitch between the rocker bolts of 1,5mm and tolerances of at best +/-0,1mm and it's easy to see where the issue stems from...
(And taking those macro pics doesn't help either... ;-) )

I tried to use 0,5mm dia brass, but that doesn't give me a positive fixation possibility. I tried evergreen strip, square 1mm, didn't work, eventually I used 1,2mm wide brass strips, and drilled holes 1,0mm and 0,5mm to align the valve stems, the rocker bolts and the push rods. Given a pitch between the rocker bolts of 1,5mm and tolerances of at best +/-0,1mm and it's easy to see where the issue stems from...
(And taking those macro pics doesn't help either... ;-) )
Considering all those dimensions and attempts, it has become a beautiful engine. :)Thumbsup

Second with rod looks more like the original.

But maybe to cut of the rocker along that line to make it even with the valse.
20240521_124755.jpg

Effe op zijn Hollands. De tumbler drukt tegen de klep en ligt gelijk met de dat punt, datzelfde geld ook voor de andere kant waar de stift die tussen de tumbler en nokkenas zit. De middelste stift is het scharnierpunt.

Last edited:
A lot of tinkering with the engine still ongoing and nothing to show for, but...
Last Tuesday evening my Admiral and I went to a concert of a student of the Amsterdam University of Arts in the Bavo cathedral in Haarlem, around which Anthony Fokker flew his Spin, way back in 1911
An incredibly beautiful performance, underlined by lightning and thunder, literally.

The magnificent organ of the Bavo:
IMG_1909.jpeg

And in the entrance of the cathedral a model of Fokker's Spin and the well known picture of Fokker flying around the church steeple to commemorate this historic flight:
IMG_1908.jpeg

Finally some progress was made; I was able to test fit the engine. The exhaust stubs were added, as well as the inlet manifold and some cooling tubing. Now I just need to observe this install to see if I am enjoying the result and whether or not to add more details. While adding the inlet- and cooling manifolds, I encountered, again, my limitations in adding more intricate (read smaller and way more difficult to fabricate details).

Seen from the front RH side, with the exhaust stubs in view:
IMG_1913.jpeg

Seen from the front LH side, with the inlet- and cooling manifolds in view:
IMG_1912.jpeg

For comparison reasons similar pictures, but than from my first attempt of building an engine:
IMG_1827.jpeg

IMG_1826.jpeg

Back