French 8 pounder frigate La Castor, from Le Renommee draught by Jean Boudriot, Combination method, Bread and butter and plank on rib.

Spent the weekend cutting out gunports, first by drilling the four corners, then drilling around the edges. Once roughed out I used a diamond file to square the ports and create a notch for the upper frame to provide support. Then cut the upper and lower frames to fit and install them. Worked out very well and I am pleased with the result. Now I can get ready to install the keel and stem, in preparation for planking the hull.

Bobbeaver.jpgbeaver 2.jpgbeaver 3.jpgbeaver 4.jpgbeaver 5.jpgbeaver 6.jpg

Step by step it is really looking like a ship - and BTW a very interesting construction method
One question related to the installed keel and stem.
How will you handle this gap between these two elements which is visible?
progress 2.jpg
Or is the stem not fixed at the time you made the photo - and should be rotated slightly to the front

You make a good point and it leads to an interesting problem solved today. I ended up taking the whole stem off and reworking it. It turned out that my measurements were off a little and I installed the stem too high. So, rather than accept it, off it came and once reworked, reinstalled in the correct position, and the small gap rectified at the same time.

Bobprogress.jpgprogress 2.jpg

I made some progress on the upper hull planking today. Changed the bit on my drill to a size larger for the Yellowheart wood and the nails go in easier and don't bend so often. I also leave the Yellowheart in the steam box longer so it will bend easier, and clamp it in a form jig to keep it in shape until dry. It seems that I'm not too old to learn something after all! Just happy to be making progress, small though it is. I must say, this hull is eating up these little Brass nails like a sponge, the small packages of 100 doesn't go far, I purchase them from a supplier in the US and I am running out yet again. Anyone know of a supplier that sells larger packages at a decent price. I will need several 1,000's more, and money is tight.

Bobprogress.jpgprogress 2.jpgprogress 3.jpgprogress 4.jpg

I made some progress on the upper hull planking today. Changed the bit on my drill to a size larger for the Yellowheart wood and the nails go in easier and don't bend so often. I also leave the Yellowheart in the steam box longer so it will bend easier, and clamp it in a form jig to keep it in shape until dry. It seems that I'm not too old to learn something after all! Just happy to be making progress, small though it is. I must say, this hull is eating up these little Brass nails like a sponge, the small packages of 100 doesn't go far, I purchase them from a supplier in the US and I am running out yet again. Anyone know of a supplier that sells larger packages at a decent price. I will need several 1,000's more, and money is tight.

BobView attachment 133488View attachment 133489View attachment 133490View attachment 133491
Not sure what they charge for nails but I purchase a lot of stuff from Cornwall in the UK. Prices are good and the shipping costs don’t put you in the poor house. That’s where I find the major block in ordering from the states. The product price is often good but then to get it across the border is another story. One might say outrageous.

John

It feels like longer but it has only been two months since I last posted with progress on my build. A friend got tired of waiting for me to continue and ordered brass nails for me, God Bless friends. The nails arrived this week so I got to work on planking and am making steady, but slow progress.

Bob
hull 1.jpghull 2.jpghull 3.jpghull 4.jpghull 5.jpg

I haven't posted in a while, but I am still working on the model, slowly but surely. I have the starboard side planked and have begun on the port side, have the main wales in place and some of the planking done above the wale in Yellowheart wood. I struggle with depression, so there are times that I just don't feel up to carving, but the times pass and I get back to work once I feel up to it. I follow along with the progress of others here and that instills the desire to get back to it, there are so many gifted builders aboard here, I am inspired.

BobP1120881.JPGbow section.jpgP1120883.JPGP1120884.JPG

Nicely done. I can't wait until you finish the planking! La Castor was supposed to meet up with la Renommée to keep the British from taking Louisbourg citadel. Unfortunately the English colonists beat them to the punch and began a blockade before they arrived. I believe la Castor sailed to France then, didn't she?

A most interesting build. I really like the effect of the yellowheart wood as that gives a more realistic appearance than other options I have seen. Something to keep in mind - where does one get this wood?

Back