French cutter Le Cerf (1779-1780) - Scratch build 1:48 or just a DEER...

Olya, Please explain why did you make a decision to re-do the hull planking?

It's such a long story!

In order not to retell a two-year dispute with the modelers of the older generation, I will sell this story very briefly in stages:
1) I made a project for laser cutting of bulkheads with steps in them for the clinker planking (I drew it in AutoCAD)
2) At that time I did not have my own workshop and I paid visits to the modelists in Kyiv (for example to borrow a table saw) ...
3) There they ate my brains with a small spoon: "You can't calculate the clinker planking so accurately. You have to change the technology. Listen to what the elders say ... And so on."
4) I gave up - and made a smooth body.
This was my biggest mistake - but "you can't fix what was cut", that's why I suffered with clinker for so long.
My initial method on "bulkheads with steps" was better, faster, more accurate and three times easier.

If I build more models with clinker - I will do it according to my calculations in AutoCAD and I will not believe anyone that there is an "easier method"!

It's such a long story!

In order not to retell a two-year dispute with the modelers of the older generation, I will sell this story very briefly in stages:
1) I made a project for laser cutting of bulkheads with steps in them for the clinker planking (I drew it in AutoCAD)
2) At that time I did not have my own workshop and I paid visits to the modelists in Kyiv (for example to borrow a table saw) ...
3) There they ate my brains with a small spoon: "You can't calculate the clinker planking so accurately. You have to change the technology. Listen to what the elders say ... And so on."
4) I gave up - and made a smooth body.
This was my biggest mistake - but "you can't fix what was cut", that's why I suffered with clinker for so long.
My initial method on "bulkheads with steps" was better, faster, more accurate and three times easier.

If I build more models with clinker - I will do it according to my calculations in AutoCAD and I will not believe anyone that there is an "easier method"!
Well done - and very good work on the clinker bulkheads Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Oh and dont worry abt the elders here its not like other places noone ever tells anyone what method they are doing is right or wrong other than maybe pointing out real ship construction method. thats why this site is so great everyone lets everyone else do things as they want to do them
Unfortunately, on my side of the world, these are the remnants of the voice of the Soviet Union. The entire older generation from this school where everyone built according to the same rules and deviations from the rules were severely punished. Therefore, it is so difficult to convey to people that everything new, does not mean bad, it only facilitates and simplifies the work and improves the quality. But for this you need to try to apply new technologies, and not persistently continue to saw models with a jigsaw ...
I was a child at that time and I only remember myself in a free country, but I can clearly see its imprint on the people of the older generation.

I’ve really enjoyed watching all your YouTube videos and seeing your build of Le Cerf here is so impressive! Thanks for sharing it with us and please keep making the videos.

I also find it very interesting to hear about your experience with technology and the older generation. I’m happy to see that you’re experimenting with new technologies to enhance your models. I’m a 3D modeler professionally and my favorite part of this hobby is to bring my virtual models on the computer to real life models with laser cutting and with my newest toy, my resin 3D printer. It’s amazing what we can accomplish. The older generation doesn’t always understand this, but is we stuck with tradition, we’d still be driving horse and buggies!

I’ve really enjoyed watching all your YouTube videos and seeing your build of Le Cerf here is so impressive! Thanks for sharing it with us and please keep making the videos.

I also find it very interesting to hear about your experience with technology and the older generation. I’m happy to see that you’re experimenting with new technologies to enhance your models. I’m a 3D modeler professionally and my favorite part of this hobby is to bring my virtual models on the computer to real life models with laser cutting and with my newest toy, my resin 3D printer. It’s amazing what we can accomplish. The older generation doesn’t always understand this, but is we stuck with tradition, we’d still be driving horse and buggies!

I will be happy to show the following videos. Sometimes it is better to show how to do than to explain and write a text for a long time!

I was also involved in 3-D modeling for more than 5 years (I worked on weekends and on holidays while studying at university), I was engaged in the design of premises and worked as a furniture designer. Before making furniture - I had to create a render of a photo of the future interior for customers.
So AutoCAD and 3Dmax was my best friends))))

P.S. Actually I ride horses and I love new technology at the same time)))
I left my horse in Ukraine and now I am thinking how to bring him here. Even this virus appeared so untimely - so it probably won't happen soon (((

Back