French war-ship Saint-Philippe 1693 - scale 1/72 - from Lemineur monograph

The wood is fine to, but if you turn them yourself it is better to use cherrywood and very small sharp chisels. That's what I would do. Because the cherry is strong and has a fine grain. With small a sharp small chisel on the lathe you get a very good result. In the picture I turned by myself on this way using cherry wood.
IMG_1607.JPG

Boxwood or similar wood to cherry and boxwood is also okay.

Hi (from France) Cri-cri ! Your model has a really professional looking and I obviously see that your "tour de main" is great ! Would you please anyway let me point out that you have shown in a previous photo, a "canons à piquer" by Corel. Be prudent Cri-cri because at 1/48th scale, it will be extremely visible on your model. You may (my suggestion), for the lower deck and mid deck use very basic and minimalistic gun carriages, because nobody will really see them (completely) through the portholes, but your gun barrels must be complete ; not à piquer" ! Thumbsup

The first side of ship stops temporarily above the third wale :

Muraille J.jpg

Muraille K.jpg

After the starboard planking and setting of the wales, the next steps are:

1 - Built of the beakhead frame, and the breastwork
2 - Upper standard knees
3 - Stern frame
4 - 36 pounder low battery
5 - Middle deck under the second battery
6 - 18-pounder middle battery
I've therefore some little work to do... Thumbs-Up

I could run very faster... without mistaken about my order of walnut for wales, I've ordered 4 x 2 mm, right size was 5 x 2 mm... ) Thumbs-Down
Mistakes happen, fortunately. I am sure the wrong timber you ordered can be utilized later in the build, or perhaps in a different model at all. ;)

Back