New kit Full rib Bluenose finished product - 全肋骨蓝鼻号成品

@PT-2 @zoly99sask @Brian077 @Squarebriggs @gisel @Uwek @DonRobinson @marter1229 @ADC @robertjejan

Dear Gents. As I live, work and earn my living in China, I would love nothing more than to see a high-quality Chinese kit made available to everyone on our forum. I believe that in YuanQing models we have the manufacturer who is willing to do what it takes to do just that. That is why I have made contact with them to see how we can do this. There are three major areas that need to be addressed: First is the instructions which - at the moment - are only available in Chinese, the second is the buying platform which - at the moment - is Taobao and the third is availability.

I don't want to be involved in something that will cause the frustration, payment problems and waiting periods that have been experienced by members with other products. That is why I am talking to them on a daily basis and I am happy to say that we are making good progress. As far as the instructions go, Zoly is right. When I talk about accurate English instructions, I am referring to instructions in English which are not only accurate but grammatically perfect. (I am an English teacher after all :D ).

So bear with us for a short while and I will hopefully come back with an answer that will answer some of your questions.

GREAT NEWS GUYS:

@yqmodel YUANQING Models is busy putting a kit together for me to do a full review on for the benefit of all SOS members. This is a great gesture on their behalf and shows that they are not only serious about their products, but also their prospective customers. Stay posted - and thank you very much Xiulin.

Be aware that for a construction of frames the scale of 1:72 is very small and the frames will be very fragile, if they are made identical like the original framing.

200312118.jpg b2_bluenose_ii_man_in_ribs.jpg Figure-12-MacAskill-Smith-_-Rhuland-1920-NSARM.png

so a 30cm frame would be only 4mm thick in 1:72, in 1:48 already 6mm (still very small)

GREAT NEWS GUYS:

@yqmodel YUANQING Models is busy putting a kit together for me to do a full review on for the benefit of all SOS members. This is a great gesture on their behalf and shows that they are not only serious about their products, but also their prospective customers. Stay posted - and thank you very much Xiulin.
GREAT

With regards to scale, there are two things to consider: First, even though China is a very big country in land mass, approximately 70% of the total population lives on the East Coast. That means that apartment space is at a premium - there is simply no space to build big models. Secondly, if we look at the Naviga C1 and C3 results of the last few years, 1:72 scale seems to be the size most preferred by the top builders.

Hi Lawrence,
I don't believe that scale has anything to do with the amount of detail you can add to a model.
If you want to super detail a model you can use the kit as a base and just go to the extremes that no kit will ever give you.
Been working with 1:327 scale models using @shipbuilder 's guides and I am able to get very good detail at that scale.
I'm sure most ship modellers have seen Phillip Reed's work before so you can see what frame thickness and details can be achieved on this model (Scale 1/192):

think what Uwe stated 4 mm how are you going to clean the wood?
there will be no room for any normal finger to work between the frames
In Reed's book "Building a miniature Navy Board Model" he has a whole chapter dedicated to building the hull frames with lots of detailed photos.
The reason I'm not a keen fan of larger scale models is because there's limited places to put them in my house. I have the Alert by Trident Model on order and the very indulgent HMS Enterprise by CAF already with final resting places allocated but the admiral has drawn a line after that. So smaller scales make sense to some modellers.
Another question to ask from a manufacturer's point of view is:
If the drawings in CAD are prepped for the cnc or laser printers at 1:72 scale, how hard can it be to create files at 1:48?
There will be board thickness issues, new moulds, etc to take into consideration but wood materials can be pre-ordered from raw timber suppliers to the right thickness, and moulds are only created once.
When car manufacturers build different versions of the same model they normally set of the factory to build in batches.
I'd like to know how flexible it would be for manufacturers to supply the exact same model in different scales: I.E: according to the orders that are coming in or by batches.

Last edited:
My suggestion is that we simply wait a few days until I have the kit at hand. Then I will be able to answer all your questions in detail, YUANQING Models are in partnership with Luhaiqingkong - those of you who are unfamiliar with the latter - that is the company that produces the superb Royal Caroline (the ZHL RC) that @Maarten is building. Even though that is a POB model, I am sure that their input will be invaluable to YUANQING and as such I do not doubt that the Bluenose will be a practical model to build.

This is the point that I was trying to make about scale. If we look at the last European Naviga C1 Results of Burgas, we can see it was dominated by builders choosing 1:70 and 1:78 models. In fact, Evgeniy Yepur's winning model was 1:100!

Clear proof in my mind that 1:72 is fully workable.

Burgas Results.png

@donfarr Well Don, then there no copyright issues that can be fought over this kit! :D It is of little concern to me how MANY Bluenose kits there are - the question of how many POF kits are there is the important one.

Back