New kit Full rib Bluenose finished product - 全肋骨蓝鼻号成品

Well as one who was not really interested much in sailing ships/boats that weren't armed or very old historically, because some of
my good friends are taking a lead on this I am deffinatley interested in this kit. I think it'd be super cool to build something so many
friends of mne have had a part in its developement.

Thank you everyone in this discussion, especially you @Heinrich . "The right man in the right place can make all the difference in the world".
This project speaks it very loud and clear :)

@Clair G Thank you for the kind words my friend and a big welcome!

You can imagine that with a nickname like "Old Storm-along", the Bluenose was a ship with loads of character. Built as a fishing schooner, she fulfilled a double role as racing vessel. At both tasks, she excelled. On the racing front, she remained the undisputed King (or should it be Queen?) for seventeen years while she regularly hauled in record tonnages of salt cod in the north Atlantic. Equally enigmatic was her skipper - Angus Walters. Added to that were the connections to secret fraternities, rum-running, a fascinating bow-design that actually came about because a crewmember bumped his head, and the story of Long Albert. So there is plenty to get excited about and really get involved in.

View attachment 189479
From wat I can derive this type of jig is used because: (remember, I'm no expert)
1) Upward sloping keel.
2) Ease of planking.
3) Reduced chance of breaking thin ribs.
Seems like the makers did their homework..
the feasibility will depend upon how the ribs are cut or patterned with the longer upper portions to be cut off later conforming to the "rocker" of the deck which could be tricky if they are as delicate as I am reading between the lines. Not a deal breaker but another challenging aspect. PT-2

Dear All

Further to all the comments and questions about the build method of the Bluenose, I can tell you that construction will indeed be via a kit-supplied building jig. Okay

Further good news is that the sample kit for the review is on its way to me. :D
A lot of us are looking forward to your review and possible work on the kit to better understand what is provided. Thanks again for your work on this. PT-2

@Clair G Thank you for the kind words my friend and a big welcome!

You can imagine that with a nickname like "Old Storm-along", the Bluenose was a ship with loads of character. Built as a fishing schooner, she fulfilled a double role as racing vessel. At both tasks, she excelled. On the racing front, she remained the undisputed King (or should it be Queen?) for seventeen years while she regularly hauled in record tonnages of salt cod in the north Atlantic. Equally enigmatic was her skipper - Angus Walters. Added to that were the connections to secret fraternities, rum-running, a fascinating bow-design that actually came about because a crewmember bumped his head, and the story of Long Albert. So there is plenty to get excited about and really get involved in.
One observation is that Freemasonry and International Order of Odd Fellows are not SECRET organizations as they are very present and visible to the public. . . they do have secrets though. You can look each and other fraternal organizations in local phone books and elsewhere. If they were secret you could not find them. Just for consideration as I am a Mason. PT-2

@PT-2 Dear Rich - you are perfectly correct. The Free Masons and Independent Order of Odd Fellows are NOT secret organisations. Both organizations have multiple websites on the net which clearly stipulate their mission and operations. My apologies for any misconception caused.

@PT-2 Dear Rich - you are perfectly correct. The Free Masons and Independent Order of Odd Fellows are NOT secret organisations. Both organizations have multiple websites on the net which clearly stipulate their mission and operations. My apologies for any misconception caused.
Thank you. It provided an opportunity to put some factual information out in the public realm. Conspiracy theories abound all of the time and are amazing in what they speculate and can never be entirely put down or corrected as it is so easy to morph one into another. The older school position of Freemasonry was to never reply in any manner but to remain silent which can be misconstrued with the silence. Most Freemasons are not sure of what they can and cannot talk about openly as they usually have not studied the Craft enough to know the difference. I continue to learn and understand more with each passing year. PT-2

@Brian077 @marter1229 @robertjejan @ADC @gisel @DonRobinson @PT-2 @Squarebriggs @John A @Canoe21 @donfarr @teleman @Tony W @Clair G @paulv1958 @Dematosdg

Well Gents ....

As promised, our package from YuanQing Models containing the Bluenose arrived today ...

Even before the kit arrived, I had already decided that my photographic skills leave much to be desired, so I have arranged with a student of mine who is a professional photographer to take the photographs. And all I can say after a quick look inside the box ... boy am I glad I did that!!! It is going to take someone who knows what he/she is doing to do justice to this kit - my first impressions are that good! In the meantime - while I wait for a time for the photo-shoot to be finalised - I will start writing the review. So please bear with me for a little while.

Believe me when I tell you that this kit is superb - and the quality of materials is certainly the best that I have seen. I am honoured to be involved in this project.

@yqmodel Hello Xiulin

On behalf of myself and everyone at SoS, I just want to say thank you for making a kit available for a review. Rest assured that you have a superb product and you can be very proud of what you and your company have achieved.First Place Metal

Hello Heinrich,
many of us here are as enthusiastic as you with regards to this kit. Can you tell me the length of the model from stem to stern without the bowsprit please ?
Good question but in a bit of clarification it should be noted that the main gaff boom extends almost as far past the transom and the bowsprit does forward of the stem for an overall model length. . . but your question was to the hull length. This is going to be interesting. PT-2

Gents - I am happy to oblige. The hull length - excluding bowsprit and gaff boom is 605mm. The bowsprit extends at the front by 75mm and the gaff boom extends at the stern by 50mm.

Gents - I am happy to oblige. The hull length - excluding bowsprit and gaff boom is 605mm. The bowsprit extends at the front by 75mm and the gaff boom extends at the stern by 50mm.
That is a good sized model. Very similar to my MS2130 POB hull which at 1:64, 3/16" per foot is 670mm or 26.5 inches, at least as I have it coming out. PT-2

The size is spot on. My Haarlem (Batavia) which is the model with the greatest overall length in the Kolderstok Models ship range, has a hull-only length of 645mm.
When it comes down to the brass tacks, there are only so many models, completed or in progress that will fit into our personal harbors under roof without a mutiny arising amongs't the crew. At least in my home port. PT-2 (Rich)

Back