Galilee Boat 16” [COMPLETED BUILD]

This is my second Galilee boat log. This is a smaller boat than the 26” boat I previously built. I’ve learned some things from the first boat, but I expect some new challenges based on the smaller scale. Also, this boat has a square sail compared to the 26” boat. It’s based on the First Century boat found in the mud of the Sea of Galilee. Scott Miller provides kits in both 16” and 26” sizes. This is pretty much the same as my other build, so it will probably be shorter.

I painted some beeswax with orange oil on the frames of the strongback to keep the ca glue I’ll be using from sticking to the frames. I used wax paper last time and it worked fine. I tested it by using ca to attach a plank to the strongback and it didn’t stick, to my great delight. image.jpg

A few mishaps along the way: 1) started first three strakes with beveled planks and read the next set of directions which said now that the first two unbeveled strakes are laid, you may start the beveled (tapered) ones ones on the third level; (2) broke false keel trying to mail it to strongback.
image.jpg

Second time around is much better and the building goes faster.
I am planning to use the strong backs from the kit and enlarge them to a bigger size.
I wish you the best and I will be filling this build to see your new ideas.
I just pull up my favorite chair.
0B9F5070-58EE-46EE-9E49-F3E556E8EF5B.jpeg

Second time around is much better and the building goes faster.
I am planning to use the strong backs from the kit and enlarge them to a bigger size.
I wish you the best and I will be filling this build to see your new ideas.
I just pull up my favorite chair.
View attachment 340099
Mine will probably look a lot like yours! I was surprised to see that the strakes were the same thickness as the ones on the 26" boat. Just not as wide.

A few mishaps along the way: 1) started first three strakes with beveled planks and read the next set of directions which said now that the first two unbeveled strakes are laid, you may start the beveled (tapered) ones ones on the third level; (2) broke false keel trying to mail it to strongback.
View attachment 339973
Hi Vford, before laying the planking you should do the quarter angle to get the right profile

image.jpg

Time to set it aside for a bit!

Is there an expectation that the planks should be soaked and bent before attaching to the stern & stem posts?

I didn’t have to soak my planks, but I used lots of rubber bands to trap all planks in shape.
The strong backs have a notch where I attached the rubber bands to go around and grab the other side.
I also covered the strong backs with wax paper to make it easy for the hull to be removed and the mold will remain intact.
I really have no idea of what happened to your model.
I do remember I tried to pull out my before completing the planking when and something like that happen.
1D34AABD-B70D-4405-821E-338BAA9F5170.jpeg

I had noticed that the stem was not square, so I released it from the two blocks holding it in place. Then I would reset it. As I released it, splang! The strakes on one side popped off. Once I get the stem back down, I’ll glue the strakes back on with the help of some rubber bands. It needed to be done. Somehow the stem got about five degrees off. I couldn’t look at it anymore like that.

Well, at least now you got the experience of what to be looking for on this next time around.

Back