Galilee Boat 16” [COMPLETED BUILD]

Good morning Vic. Good save. And yes, even tho I did not see the off square stem it was worth the redo. Cheers Grant
Grant, you didn’t see it because the pictures were from the stern. The pole is at the stern so a clamp can leverage against it and hold the ends of the strakes while the glue is drying. This final picture was of the stem. No pole. The sharper angle of the bow allows one to clamp without a pole to rest against.

Last edited:
I didn’t have to soak my planks, but I used lots of rubber bands to trap all planks in shape.
The strong backs have a notch where I attached the rubber bands to go around and grab the other side.
I also covered the strong backs with wax paper to make it easy for the hull to be removed and the mold will remain intact.
I really have no idea of what happened to your model.
I do remember I tried to pull out my before completing the planking when and something like that happen.
View attachment 340964
I used wax paper on my last Galilee boat. This time, I used some beeswax/orange oil furniture polish. I tested it by trying to glue a piece of scrap wood to it and it peeled right off. I found the wax paper to be a bit bulky and it could tear.

Now it’s starting to pick up! I was supposed to use straight, non-tapered strakes for the first two levels. I didn’t see that until later in the instructions. So I put a straight strake on the fourth strake. I don’t think anyone will be able to tell the difference. I think I’ll just use tapered ones for the rest of them, though.image.jpg

It’s hard to pull the strakes tight and hold them down at the same time. That’s part of the problem with twisty-turny planks. They start off at the stern vertical, twist over to horizontal in the middle of the hull, and turn back vertical at the stem. I have some wire with rubber on the outside, and I’m using it to tighten down the strakes as per suggestions from the kit maker. So far, so good.
Vertical:
image.jpg
Almost horizontal:
image.jpg
The lines on the strake are from my mini plane. They’ll sand out.

More twists and turns. Only about 11 more strakes and I can start on the partial frames. I’m making this model for a former pastor friend. He lives in Mississippi and sails his boat regularly on the Gulf. He used to be a Commander on a nuclear submarine. He was a nuclear engineer and has an IQ of 187. We used to have some interesting conversations.

96FB8D9F-FF6E-456C-A402-38287F241F15.jpeg

If I remember well, I had a 2” long piece of pvc pipe sealed at the bottom and filled with water on which I soak the planks there for like 20 minutes, pull the out, towel dry and hold them to the boat with clams will I dried them with a hair dryer.
That way I will have the plank with the shape needed.
I hope my system works for you.

Back