Galilee Boat kit from Scott Miller [COMPLETED BUILD]

Laid down the second non-beveled plank. Trying to make sure it’s snug up to the first plank. I’ll soon apply some thin ca to where the planks meet, taking care to avoid the frames so they don’t stick to the boat. View attachment 296148View attachment 296149
Very late to be commenting at this time, but I would like to offer a tip for this type of construction. Applying a coat of beeswax on the frames can help keep any stray glue from sticking while you add the planks. (See post #60)

Fortunately, the wax paper did the trick. I guess it amounts to the same thing. Thanks for the input. I’ll try it on my 16” Galilee boat.

I'm having a little issue with the lateen sail and it's rigging. I think the supplied yard is too thick and short. The sail is also square cut and just rolled up to look furled. And the rigging doesn't look like what I envision for a lateen sail. Any comments would be appreciated. This picture comes from the instructions by Scott Miller:
1666488154293.png

Did the Galilee boat have a lateen? Do we know? What you have shown certainly couldn't be sailed as is...it looks more representative than functional.
Exactly. There was nothing left of the yard or mast in the mud of the Sea of Galilee when they discovered the boat during a drought. They don't know what kind of sail it might have had. Scott Miller decided to use a conventional square sail for his 16" model. He thought the 26" model should have a lateen sail because the square sail on that model might make it too wide for display. Right now, I'm pondering how to make the lateen work. My lathe isn't long enough to handle a yard that's long enough to look like a real lateen; however, I've seen some examples where they lashed two pieces together to make a yard in real life. There is also a paucity of information on how the lateen should be rigged on a single sailed boat. Some say to hang it outside the stays while others say on the inside. I can see benefits both ways. And I'm not even sure they used lateen sails outside of Egypt during the 1st Century AD. I have plenty of material and information on the square rigged ship from reading Bluebeard's log. Rich @PT-2 provided some great illustrations for him. So now I'm stuck. Maybe I'll try both options and see which looks better.
1666532706002.png
1666532802178.png

With the information on our hands, or from the above image I can definitely say it is not a Lateen sail. Let's dive a bit into the theory and practice based on the mast counts and rig types.
  • The boat shown is a single-masted boat. As such, there could be a Bermuda rig that has a three-sided mainsail. Gaff rig - has a four-sided mainsail, where the head of the mainsail is guided by a Gaff, and the Lateen rig - has a three-sided mainsail on a long yard.
1666533744749.png
  • From your image supplied, I can see the type of rig is - Cat (One mast, one sail), but most important is the yard positioning is 90 degrees to the mast, also it is not long enough to be a Lateen. The cat is the simplest sail plan and has one mast with one sail. It's easy to handle alone, so it's very popular as a fishing boat.
  • The conclusion can come to be just a functional four-sided main sail typically used in jolly boats. Most small sailboats are catboats, it has a limited sail area and doesn't give you the control and options you have with more sails.

With the information on our hands, or from the above image I can definitely say it is not a Lateen sail. Let's dive a bit into the theory and practice based on the mast counts and rig types.
  • The boat shown is a single-masted boat. As such, there could be a Bermuda rig that has a three-sided mainsail. Gaff rig - has a four-sided mainsail, where the head of the mainsail is guided by a Gaff, and the Lateen rig - has a three-sided mainsail on a long yard.
View attachment 336094
  • From your image supplied, I can see the type of rig is - Cat (One mast, one sail), but most important is the yard positioning is 90 degrees to the mast, also it is not long enough to be a Lateen. The cat is the simplest sail plan and has one mast with one sail. It's easy to handle alone, so it's very popular as a fishing boat.
  • The conclusion can come to be just a functional four-sided main sail typically used in jolly boats. Most small sailboats are catboats, it has a limited sail area and doesn't give you the control and options you have with more sails.
I just went out and bought some dowel. I will build both a square sail using the supplied yard and a lateen sail using the dowel I just bought. Then I'll let my pastor decide which one he likes best. I'm kind of excited to be trying my skills at both.

My few cents of comments. Looks really good, but the spar (yard) must be a bit longer. Such longer yards are usually comprised of two long pieces of wood tied together. Aso, the must should be a little longer, IMHO.

My few cents of comments. Looks really good, but the spar (yard) must be a bit longer. Such longer yards are usually comprised of two long pieces of wood tied together. Aso, the must should be a little longer, IMHO.
I appreciate your insight. Most boats I’ve seen with lateen sails have very short masts. The yard is longer than the boat, and that seems to be pretty much standard. I’ve also seen some with a single yard. One was made of thick, hollow cane, probably bamboo. I guess they want the yard to be light. The halyards were not as sophisticated back then. And there were often only three to five men in the boat to haul the yard.

Vic, the last photo is not photoshop ;)
What I was trying to say is that many modern lateen sails may not accurately portray what existed in 53 AD. I do appreciate the pictures and help. I probably should have just stayed with the square rig, but I wanted to try the lateen since it's different from Bluebeard's GB.

Back