Galilee Boat kit from Scott Miller [COMPLETED BUILD]

Vic,
If you're looking for any pictures of the process beyond what Scott provided, here is a link to my build log:

Looking good!

Good morning Vic....I see now. Well sort of. Once you have planked the hull do you slide it off the frames and then build in the ribs? If so how on earth do the planks stay together? Excuse my ignorance however this is fascinating. Cheers Grant
I’m supposed to glue the planks together with thin ca glue along the edges and afterwards apply a thin coat over the planks. I’m debating whether to go that route or not. I’m thinking pva. Maybe some satin poly, linseed, or tung oil for a finish. Right now, I’ve got my hands full with the first couple of planks!

Vic,
If you're looking for any pictures of the process beyond what Scott provided, here is a link to my build log:

Looking good!
Thanks for this! I’ll be pouring over it before going any further.

Happy to help!
In regards to the glue, I highly recommend you use the CA as shown in the instructions and the build log.
I was equally skeptical and in the end, very glad I used it!
It is definitely not a normal method but then again, this is not a normal build!
If you concerned about the finish when you get up that point, the shellac worked perfectly!

Vic,

Looking good!
I loved your log, Lyle, especially the part where you presented the boat to your dad. I guess I’ll try to go with the ca glue after all. Your model turned out great!

HI LYLE I DO NOT WANT TO HIJACK VICS BUILD SOME OF US DO NOT HAVE VERY GOOD REALATIONS WITH MSW IS THERE ANY WAY TO SHOW YOUR LOG ON SOS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON
Someday, someone needs to explain to me the history...
I am a member of both forums and my only objective is to meet other modelers and learn or pass along what little knowledge I have!
I would share my log here but it's a huge undertaking... I did it with another build.
It's much easier to share a link. If there is a quicker way to share the log, please let me know.

I loved your log, Lyle, especially the part where you presented the boat to your dad. I guess I’ll try to go with the ca glue after all. Your model turned out great!
Thanks Vic! It's a fun little build and I was impressed with the overall quality of the final product. Especially after I received the kit and it was a bit rough! I also added a few things to enhance the build!
I'm looking forward to seeing yours too.

First strake glued on for both port and starboard sides. I have a feeling it’s going to be a longer go than I had originally anticipated. My SR is so big and complex, and I honestly thought this would be a cakewalk. Not so! I also nailed the keel to the frames after peeking in at Lyle’s thread on MSW. image.jpg

Clamping becomes more of a challenge once you get up toward the turn...
My build stuck to the frames even though I was careful, I got it loose without too much work but it might be beneficial to lay down something that won't allow the CA to stick to it.

Clamping becomes more of a challenge once you get up toward the turn...
My build stuck to the frames even though I was careful, I got it loose without too much work but it might be beneficial to lay down something that won't allow the CA to stick to it.
What would work best? Wax paper?

Back