Geobukseon Known as Turtle ship (a Korean battleship) [COMPLETED BUILD]

Raining Saturday....HURRAY...no outside yard work.

Finished one side of oars. I took out the ropes. Didn't like the look because I was not getting what I wanted to achieve. Just didn't look fine on this model design. I left the 2 hand grabbing wood sticks to move the oar. That isn't in the kit.

Based on pictures uploaded by Jimsky I added a few cauldrons. I don't know if they where there for heating or to have fire to fire the cannons. Nevertheless I added them. I will post a picture to show how I modified a bucket to make it a cauldron. I think they achieve the wanted effect.

Based on the movie "The Admiral", gunpowder barrels where distributed around the ship. So I added a few.

On the movie you can see that the cannon balls where inside a box and over dried grass/straws. I used dried pine leafs to get a similar look. I will add more boxes around.

That's all folks. !!!

20210529_175632.jpg20210529_175700.jpg20210529_175712.jpg20210529_175723.jpg20210529_175731.jpg20210529_175745.jpg20210529_175825.jpg20210529_113847.jpg

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:
Love the barrels - and especially the cauldrons - even if I'm not sure what their purpose is either. Be that as it may, I think that you are enquiring an incredible "feel" for the different cultural aspects inherent to the models that you have built so far. You show great versatility in your subject choices and I'm sure that the diversity ensures that there is not a moment's boredom!

Love the barrels - and especially the cauldrons - even if I'm not sure what their purpose is either. Be that as it may, I think that you are enquiring an incredible "feel" for the different cultural aspects inherent to the models that you have built so far. You show great versatility in your subject choices and I'm sure that the diversity ensures that there is not a moment's boredom!

You are correct !!!

The issue with the oars is hunting me. The shape isn't correct. I can live with that, but they need to be in another position not like flat to the floor. They have to be upright and then I can add the ropes.

But !!! I can't place them upright because the kit comes with another deck . They doesn't have space.

Looking carefully the video of the museum and another one, that deck is only in the center, not from side to side. Then the oars can be upright. I am thinking in doing a modification of that deck. Just need to understand is that will weakest the ship/kit structure.

This is a picture of the museum replica movie. See the oars at the back and the deck is like a balcony in the middle.

Screenshot_20210529-225239_YouTube.jpg

On this video you can see better what I meant.

Also, I need to check the issue that all the cannons port holes are not on the correct position. Some are over the oars deck floor and they all have to be in between the oars. Like in the picture or in the video.

We will see if I can solve, in some way these issues of the kit design.

Cheers
Daniel

I really like this model Daniel. The more I look at it, the more I am impressed by its ingenuity and - what must surely have been - innovation at the time. One can't help but be impressed by the technology employed by the East. I am glad that you could find a clearer guidance from the contribution of our members.

Hi all

It's been a few days without posting on the Turtle. I wanted to show a more finished update. But let show something.

Modifications and added stuff.

Let me tell the story visually.

Last time I posted Turtle was at this stage:

20210529_175712.jpg

I didn't like the oars and all was looking weird.

If you zoom this picture you will see that the last oar (left) is in front of the cannon port. That didn't look well. Many were in the same situation.

20210529_175745.jpg

Now, look these pictures from a Korean log.

Screenshot_20210531-223818_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210531-223712_Chrome.jpg

That looks better. The oars in between the cannon ports.

Then was another issue with the next upper deck. But I will come back to that later. Now we concentrate on the oars placement.

I decided that I need to modify the kit.

Took out the few glued oars and cut the plywood pices from the template. I used them to fill the oars holes.

20210531_115433.jpg20210531_124825.jpg

Then I painted and the look was HORRIBLE

20210531_153852.jpg

Solution: plank the deck and with a template did new oars holes
I had to unglued all the deck additions as well as the Turtle doors at the Bow and Stern.

20210601_170821.jpg

Then I modified the oars providing to the connection piece a look like the 1:1 replicates and dry tested them

20210601_172639.jpg20210601_174104.jpg20210601_174116.jpg

Let me continue on another posting. Do not post until I tell you....Thank you !!!

Last edited:
The cannon openings and oars placements looks more natural now.

Then I decided to add some details. CANNON PORTS

if you see these picture you will see a piece of wood over the cannon opening.

Screenshot_20210529-223921_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210531-223712_Chrome.jpg

If you watch the 2 videos I posted before you will be able to see them

So I did this :

20210601_222347.jpg20210601_230025.jpg20210602_173531.jpg20210603_174205.jpg

Those doors can be let go down in a blink of an eye, if needed,, and protect the warriors from, could be, arrows.

Then I saw in the videos that over the cannons doors was a window. Used to vent the ship, and to shoot arrows too. The kit did not have that.

Screenshot_20210601-193407_YouTube.jpgScreenshot_20210601-193308_YouTube.jpg

See the windows at the left, over the oars, at the sight level of warriors.

The kit come with external columns on that place as you can see here (short exterior columns over the cannon holes)

20210526_175821.jpg

I faked them from inside and faked the windows.

20210605_150352.jpg

I am doing now the rest of those windows all around.

Ah... I forgot to show now the most realistic look of the oars , in a correct place with the rope on them as the 1:1 replicates and the Admiral movie.

20210604_170526.jpg20210604_172006.jpg

This is were I am now. More to come on deck finishing (some weathering and addition (re-glue :) ) of stuff.

The issue with the next deck will be explained as soon as I am done here. That deck will be fully modified.

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:
Magnificent, magnificent, magnificent!!!! I was going to ask you earlier - and it actually slipped my mind - if you can't do something about the deck, because the provided template really looked like a ... template! So first off - the deck now looks 1000% better! What you did with the oars makes perfect sense and apart from the fact that they look much more pleasing aesthetically, are definitely also more realistic! Well done Tudor Ford man!

Magnificent, magnificent, magnificent!!!! I was going to ask you earlier - and it actually slipped my mind - if you can't do something about the deck, because the provided template really looked like a ... template! So first off - the deck now looks 1000% better! What you did with the oars makes perfect sense and apart from the fact that they look much more pleasing aesthetically, are definitely also more realistic! Well done Tudor Ford man!

You are the best !!! :)

Another hobby... my Ford Model A "Tudor" 1929

IMG-20190824-WA0000.jpeg

HAHAHA

Heinrich....no one else will understand your joke.. if I do not post this

Cheers
Daniel

DANIEL, I SECOND HEINRICH, JUST TOTALLY MAGNIFICENT, WHAT A TRUE ARTIST CAN ACCOMPLISH WITH REASEARCH MINE LOOKS LIKE A FISHING DINGY COMPARED TO THIS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

Wow Daniel. I have to share how impressed I am with these improvements. The deck has been totally transformed and you have carefully thought out and then reproduced solutions for the oars and the guns. Fantastic accomplishment. Congratulations!

The cannon openings and oars placements looks more natural now.

Then I decided to add some details. CANNON PORTS

if you see these picture you will see a piece of wood over the cannon opening.

View attachment 237694View attachment 237695

If you watch the 2 videos I posted before you will be able to see them

So I did this :

View attachment 237696View attachment 237697View attachment 237698View attachment 237699

Those doors can be let go down in a blink of an eye, if needed,, and protect the warriors from, could be, arrows.

Then I saw in the videos that over the cannons doors was a window. Used to vent the ship, and to shoot arrows too. The kit did not have that.

View attachment 237700View attachment 237701

See the windows at the left, over the oars, at the sight level of warriors.

The kit come with external columns on that place as you can see here (short exterior columns over the cannon holes)

View attachment 237702

I faked them from inside and faked the windows.

View attachment 237703

I am doing now the rest of those windows all around.

Ah... I forgot to show now the most realistic look of the oars , in a correct place with the rope on them as the 1:1 replicates and the Admiral movie.

View attachment 237704View attachment 237705

This is were I am now. More to come on deck finishing (some weathering and addition (re-glue :) ) of stuff.

The issue with the next deck will be explained as soon as I am done here. That deck will be fully modified.

Cheers
Daniel
Dear Daniel
great progress, it's looks beautiful and unique Thumbsup:)

I followed a Blog some time ago for this vessel, albeit smaller with no interior. The kit was the hull with those crazy spiked tiles for a covering over the deck. I am one of those who gravitate to the odd. Looking forward to more of your clean approach to the build of this War Ship.
Rick

Back