Geobukseon Known as Turtle ship (a Korean battleship) [COMPLETED BUILD]

Moving on, i decided to use my few free hours this weekend to start the 2nd deck I was talking about.

This is what the kit said it has to be done:

View attachment 238806

View attachment 238807

And this is what I did.

I cut the side of the deck, to reflect how it is on the 1:1 replicates I posted the videos and pictures before. Besides, that deck do not have cannon (as pictured on the kit inages) because the roof of this model do not have cannon holes. Why the developer did this wrong design ??? . I am not looking for an answer to that question.

I also finished the deck planking.

View attachment 238808

View attachment 238809

That's all for now....

Cheers
Daniel

Hi guys, it has been a few days , could be weeks :) that I have not posted. The reason was that I haven't done a lot. Now I had a few afternoons free for the hobby and have advanced.

We left on the posting I quoted above..

I told you all about the modifications I was going to do to the kit deck. Just go a few posts back to refresh your memories :).

After cutting the sides of the 2nd deck (see quoted post), I started to modify it.

Added side railings and officer's cabins

20210628_142128.jpg20210628_145818.jpg20210628_145827.jpg

Then added all the others railings, stairs and columns.

20210629_111921.jpg20210629_112125.jpg20210629_112152.jpg20210629_112205.jpg20210629_112221.jpg20210629_112308.jpg

For reference this was the deck as per the kits developers.

20210629_112623.jpg

I did an important modification to that deck. The kit deck , as designed, is incorrect. My modifications to the deck are as the deck of the Museum Turtle. For more details about this topic, you can go back a couple of pages on this thread.

More on next posting .......

Officers cabins

Added a table and very rustic simple stools. Also added the sleeping mat. Used red, because I love it and as the officer's used these very colorful Samurai Stile clothes, I though it was fine :)

Also added a step , inside and outside , to the doors. I belive that in reality that door frame, at the entrance, will be to high. As I didn't want the officer to brake a leg on the rush of the battle, I added a step.

Nothing rocket science!!!!

Well , that is all......have fun !!! This is just a hobby.

20210629_171923.jpg20210629_171951.jpg20210629_172011.jpg20210629_172044.jpg

Cheers
Daniel

Wow... I forgot to show you all another detail.... the hinges on the doors ... :)

Again, not rocket science, but they look nice

The cannon is not yet finished. I placed it to see how it will look and if it fit. I have to do a few more.

20210629_172110.jpg20210629_172154.jpg

The end.....for now ..... :)

Cheers .... and Have fun

Daniel

I just love this project. Your deck is a massive improvement on the kit-envisaged one and those railings - in particular - really look the part. The hinges sure came out very nice! I for one am very glad that you are back on the Turtle!

Wow... I forgot to show you all another detail.... the hinges on the doors ... :)

The cannon is not yet finished. I placed it to see how it will look and if it fit. I have to do a few more.

View attachment 241399View attachment 241400

Cheers .... and Have fun

Daniel
Daniel, this is a very unique ship, to say the least. But you have actually made it more interesting! Great job!

I just love this project. Your deck is a massive improvement on the kit-envisaged one and those railings - in particular - really look the part. The hinges sure came out very nice! I for one am very glad that you are back on the Turtle!
Really nice work!
JUST BEAUTIFUL WORK AS ALWAYS DANIEL, AND YES A MASTER IN THE MAKING. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON
Daniel, this is a very unique ship, to say the least. But you have actually made it more interesting! Great job!

THANK YOU GUYS !!!!!.

I really appreciate your encouragement. And Thank you Jimsky and Snowy for the likes.

All the best to you all,.

Daniel

The modification to the deck and ores are a real improvement looking forward to seeing how the additional deck is done.

View attachment 241399View attachment 241400

Cheers .... and Have fun

Daniel
Glad to see your progress the turtle's taking shape nicely, the modifications are a real improvement. How much of the inside details will be on show when it's finished?

Glad to see your progress the turtle's taking shape nicely, the modifications are a real improvement. How much of the inside details will be on show when it's finished?

Thank you for all the likes and love expressions :)

Tony, I plan to built half of the roof or less, but for sure not more than half. I will take that decision on the spot. The roof has beams and strips of wood in between the beams to support the shields. When I arrive to that point I will think how do I build it to show the "the Turtle shields" without hidden the inside. A good point is that all is simetrical. So if I hide half, everyone will still see all the inside details.

Now i need to focus on the cannons and rudder and some deck details. After that I will start the roof.

Cheers
Daniel

I'm a little slow getting to this post but I wanted to still share how impressed I am with this build. Your progress as a modeler is evident to all. You have always shown great creativity - and now you are demonstrating the skills to put that into the ship. Congratulations and keep up the great work!

I'm a little slow getting to this post but I wanted to still share how impressed I am with this build. Your progress as a modeler is evident to all. You have always shown great creativity - and now you are demonstrating the skills to put that into the ship. Congratulations and keep up the great work!

Thank you Paul !!! And thank you all for the likes.

Cheers
Daniel

Very nice - and innovative rigging on those cannons. Like Don said, this is one hell of a build - and it seems like you are taking everything in your stride.

Very nice - and innovative rigging on those cannons. Like Don said, this is one hell of a build - and it seems like you are taking everything in your stride.

WHAT CAN I SAY DANIEL IT IS ONE HELL OF A BUILD, YOU SURE AS HELL GETTING TO THE MASTER STAGE. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

Thank you for the likes !!!

Thank you DonFarr !!!!

Heinrich, thank you for the comments. For the ropes I followed the posted picture of the repro and this one below.

Screenshot_20210704-112821_Gallery.jpg

Best
Daniel

This is not a gun tackle, but only a fixing of the gun towards the carriage.
They had to fire with somehow 30 to 45° into the air to reach the required distance range.

Geobs007.jpg Geobs019.jpg

Ten cannon ports on both sides of the shield hid specialized long range cannons with names such as Chon (Heaven), Ji (Earth), Hyeon (Black), Hwang (Brown), Seung (Victory), and others. Chon fired a round iron cannon ball with a 11.7 cm diameter that ranged up to 600 meters. Ji was slightly smaller in size and ranged over 350 meters. Using Chon and Ji, the Turtle Ship was able to attack ships in locations beyond the enemy's firing ranges.

spacer.gif
Hyeon and Hwang shot large fire arrows and are estimated to have had a shooting range of 300 meters. Seung shot fire arrows dipped in gun powder and was used to attack nearby ships. Seung was light in weight with a range of up to 200 meters. Most enemy ships attacked by these cannons were badly damaged or burnt and sank during naval battles.

Back