Geobukseon Known as Turtle ship (a Korean battleship) [COMPLETED BUILD]

That is a very ingenious use of the jig to ensure the correct placement for the supporting beams. Does it still get supporting beams on the other end as well - (I am not sure whether the cabin end is bow or stern !!! ROTF)?

Be that as it may - even unglued and not-sanded, those cross-beams already seem to have a very good fit!

As you wrote, SOS does not allow me to place 2 icons " the laughing and the love icons" . You are the best !!

The cabins are at the stern.

Wait..... there will be many beams to support the shields.

Cheers and your Sampan looks fantastic !!!

Daniel

Well.... I was able to finish the beams for the roof.

The 2 beams that goes from stern to bow were.....wrong. I had to unglued all, as well as the columns. The issue was that I glued the columns of the size indicated in the kit. Then molded those 2 beam providing a curvature based on the columns height....WRONG. When I started to fit test the transverse beams...they didn't fit.

You need to glue the 2 long beams without the columns. Just using the jig I pictured before. Then you adapt the columns to the 2 beams natural curvature.

After that I glued the transverse beams. And they fitted very well.

Oh well..... now all is fine.

20210728_174114.jpg20210728_174106.jpg20210728_174038.jpg20210728_174027.jpg20210728_174006.jpg
20210728_180435.jpg

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:
Well.... I was able to finish the beams for the roof.

The 2 beams that goes from stern to bow were.....wrong. I had to unglued all, as well as the columns. The issue was that I glued the columns of the size indicated in the kit. Then molded those 2 beam providing a curvature based on the columns height....WRONG. When I started to fit test the transverse beams...they didn't fit.

You need to glue the 2 long beams without the columns. Just using the jig I pictured before. Then you adapt the columns to the 2 beams natural curvature.

After that I glued the transverse beams. And they fitted very well.

Oh well..... now all is fine.

View attachment 246612View attachment 246613View attachment 246614View attachment 246615View attachment 246616
View attachment 246618

Cheers
Daniel
That really looks great Daniel! I have grown to like this ship a lot. I think your embellishments contributed to that! ;)

I am also very happy to see the latest progress (I was about to send you a PM to ask why you are so quiet?). I concur wholeheartedly with Dean- I think this is a fascinating project and one to which you have lent your own signature! Thumbsup

That really looks great Daniel! I have grown to like this ship a lot. I think your embellishments contributed to that! ;)
I am also very happy to see the latest progress (I was about to send you a PM to ask why you are so quiet?). I concur wholeheartedly with Dean- I think this is a fascinating project and one to which you have lent your own signature! Thumbsup

Thank you to both, I appreciate the encouraging words. And thank you to all the likes and loves from others members.

Next step will be some details that goes on the roof and the Turtle roof shields. That will be an interesting challenge as you have to slightly corve them by hand and fit in a certain position.

I also need to decide what section of the roof will be covered.

Cheers to all and have a great modeling time !!!

Daniel

Hi Daniel!

A rarely shown model, beautifully researched and constructed. It's a real pleasure to watch you at work.

With warm greetings
Those curved beams look so good. Great job, Daniel!

Thomas

Thank you Thomas !!! And Gennaro !!! Those comments from modelers like you, that are doing a magnificent job and teaching us how to be better modelers, are very appreciated and encouraging !!!!

Same for Dean and Heinrich that are highly detailed on what they do.

Cheers to all and wish me good luck with the next step..... I hope I will not screw it again :)

Daniel

WOW! What a beautiful ship and beautiful craftsmanship. This is going to be a superb model! Okay

Thanks for the likes.

Roof openings with doors on the closed side added. On the open side I will leave the door frames.

Roof Doors stairs have also been added.

All the roof doors can be fully open. They are functional.

Cheers
Daniel
20210812_091103.jpg20210812_090950.jpg20210812_090811.jpg

Wonderful craftsmanship Daniel. She's an odd looking bird (well...amphibian) but you are doing her proud!
Just worked my way through your build log. A very fascinating adventure and a great history lesson. I admire your modeling skills. Your add ones are all well researched and look terrific.

Jan
So nice to see such an unusual build your doing a fantastic job. It's a shame that kits like this are hard to find I still haven't seen this one advertised.
I really like the idea that the doors are functional. Carry on, I can't wait to be impressed some more...

Thank you all for your comments and likes. They are always encouraging. But guys, I am far, far, far away of being a good modeler. Just trying to do the best that I can.

@Tony H, Have you tried Amazon UK ?

Its being sell on Amazon USA. Sometimes Amazon sells me stuff from other countries listed on the local Amazon.

Also eBay. I think shipping costs could be similar for you as for me. The kit came from Korea (Young Modeler brand kit)

Cheers
Daniel

Guys look what I just found

I was not able to find the rest till the end of the construction.

Funny that in all my previous searches those videos never popped.

Cheers!!!
I think your ship is 1000x better! ;)
That guy has building techniques geared for speed, not precision! Pure assembly with no stain or paint, no embellishments, and a ton of CA glue all over everything! He put it all over the model like it’s seasoning …lol.

Back